Thursday, September 25, 2008

Sept. 25 - An American Crime

Finally watched the movie An American Crime tonight. It's about the Sylvia Likens story that I mentioned not long ago. I had finished reading the book House of Evil today, about the same thing, and had already heard about the movie from my movie watching co-worker...

I cried during the movie but for different reasons. I cried because the movie version barely touches on the horrors, which was probably better viewing-wise, but doesn't get the whole story out. I watched the movie wondering how I would have felt about it if I hadn't known everything beforehand. To me it seemed like it was rushed and didn't make much sense, probably because I knew the missing pieces and couldn't 'see' it for what was being presented. Hubby seemed quite shocked and disgusted by what happened just from the movie, so I guess it does its job.

But then I just sit and think of all that wasn't shown, or what was changed, and it just breaks my heart to think of what it must have been like for that poor girl. To me, the movie made it too nicey-nice.

Bleah, this is going to be on my mind for a while.

(Ellen Page as Sylvia Likens)

2 comments:

  1. The whole thing is so creepy and frightening. I can't believe it went on for so long without anyone coming to their senses or becoming so disgusted with themself that they'd put a stop to it *somehow*.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Er, themselves, I mean.

    "Themself"?? Der.

    ReplyDelete