Friday, October 17, 2008

Oct 17 - recently viewed movies

The Happening
In this thriller from M. Night Shyamalan, a deadly airborne virus threatens to wipe out the northeastern United States. Fleeing from contaminated cities into the remote countryside, science teacher Elliott Moore (Mark Wahlberg) and his wife, Alma (Zooey Deschanel), fight to survive and discover the truth: is it terrorism, the accidental release of some toxic military bio weapon, or something even more terrifying? John Leguizamo and Betty Buckley co-star.

I had really wanted to see this. The commercials had always freaked me out. Then my movie watching co-worker saw it just before me and was gushing about how it was SO freaky, and had freaked her out like nothing since the Blair Witch Project. Imagine my surprise when I was totally disappointed! There were only a couple very brief parts that were freaky (and one I had already seen in commercials) and I found the whole thing rather stupid overall. What a bummer. Hubby, who had also been anxious to see this, thought it sucked too.

You Don't Mess With the Zohan
Adam Sandler also stars as the titular Zohan, an Israeli counterterrorism soldier with a secretly fabulous ambition to become a Manhattan hairstylist, in this comedy he co-wrote with Judd Apatow (Knocked Up) and Robert Smigel. Zohan's desire runs so deep that he'll do anything -- including faking his own death and going head to head with an Arab cab driver (Rob Schneider) -- to make his dreams come true.

Hubby and the boys wanted this one. MovieWatchingCoWorker has warned me not to waste my time on it. She hadn't seen it, didn't plan on seeing it, but had heard it was crap and thought the commercials looked stupid. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I liked this one more than The Happening. LOL I didn't love it, probably would never buy it, but if I stumbled across it while flipping thru channels I'd probably watch it again. Just dorky fun.

Ironman
After ultrarich inventor and weapons maker Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) escapes from kidnappers using makeshift power armor, he turns his invention to good by using it to fight crime. But when he must face the evil Iron Monger, his skills are stretched to the limit. Based on the Marvel comic, this captivating superhero tale from director Jon Favreau co-stars Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeff Bridges and Terrence Howard.

Another choice from hubby and the boys. I hadn't planned on watching it but was in the room at the beginning and was slightly amused by how sucked in I got. I had too many other things to do though, so I didn't commit, figured I'd come back to it some other time and watch all of it. Hubby thought it was good enough to own so I bought it while shopping today. Yes, I had no intention of watching, no interest, but what I saw looked pretty good!

Gone Baby Gone
When a 4-year-old girl goes missing in Dorchester, one of Boston's toughest hoods, private investigators Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro (Casey Affleck and Michelle Monaghan) reluctantly agree to take the case. But the investigation proves tougher, riskier and more complex than they could have imagined. Ben Affleck's directorial debut, adapted from the Dennis Lehane novel, also stars Ed Harris, Morgan Freeman and Amy Ryan (in her first Oscar-nominated role).

I picked this one. It was really good. There is a part a while into where you think it's over and you're almost screaming "That can't be it!" but then it kinda veers off and continues. The plot had me quite confused after a while though. It wasn't until afterwards, when I had a chance to go back over everything in my head and ask hubby some questions, that it became clear (I think?!) to me. And big conflict, the end....doh! I recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment