Friday, October 23, 2009

Oct. 23


The pic above is the view from my window here at the computer.  This pic doesn't do it justice though.  It's quite peaceful, and I love it now that it's Fall.  Many times I'll just glance outside and end up daydreaming.

Anyway...

I'm sick again.  That nasty Cootie Death Flu is making its second round in our house.  Casey had it first this time, missed a day and a half of school this week, and last night it hit me like a truck out of nowere.  It's just a nasty cold, people.  Don't worry about swine flu here.  But still....BLEAH.


Land of the Lost (2009)
After accidentally uncovering a portal to an alternate universe peopled with dinosaurs, Sleestaks and other strange creatures, park ranger Rick Marshall (Will Ferrell) and his two kids are forced to navigate a dangerous new world. Brad Silberling directs this big-screen adaptation of the classic 1970s adventure series "Land of the Lost," the high-concept, low-budget fantasy dreamed up by famed children's television producers Sid and Marty Krofft.


Watched this last night and it was just good dumb fun.  Some parts were stupid but overall we were laughing and enjoying it.  The beginning and the end, both times Will Ferrell was appearing on the Today show were probably the best parts of all.  LOL


I made a light box yesterday.  A light box, you ask?  Yeah, to help take better pics of objects such as...well... soap.  I have been admiring pics by other people on the forum, or on eBay or whatever, high quality professional looking pics of beautiful lovely soaps.  Mine are just kinda blah, iffy lighting, etc.  Time for a light box.  Made it yesterday but had to wait till today to try it out because I didn't have a proper lamp to use.  Took a bunch of test pics and was horrified....and pissed!....to see the color was still way off.  I mean, come on!  I bought the dang 'true white' bulb and the box is all white, and I tried different settings on the camera.  Why don't mine look beautifully lovely?!  Read some tips online and did some tweaking in my photo editing program and.......

Not bad, huh?!  That was just a quickie test shot.  Now I need to gather up some fun little props, clean up my soap edges, and take some proper pictures.  Woohoo!  The next step in the process has begun!.

That pic is also worth noting because it is my first ever batch of goat milk soap.  WOOT!!!  No, my first six batches did contain any goat milk.  People had told me to practice with water and I just never progressed to the milk with all my swirl misadventures.  As for this first batch, it overheated quite alot so it's not as pale and creamy looking as I was hoping it would be, but overall it doesn't look too bad.  I want to try and make everything from this point on with goat milk.  Not sure if I'll make another batch tonight or not.  I'm running out of time if I want these handed out before Christmas, but at the same time I have seven batches already.

Plus, I'm feeling pretty crappy today.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you took that picture?? That looks fantastic!

    Ick, sorry you were sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soap pic? Yeah, that was a lightbox pic. But I had to tweak it in my photo editor program.

    I want to get some proper 'props' and take proper show off pics of my soap babies. You know, as opposed to 'throw it on a napkin.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I know what you mean. But the napkin even looks good there! lol

    ReplyDelete