Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Oct. 27


Grace (2009)
When an accident takes the life of the unborn, 8-month-old fetus inside her, Madeline Matheson (Jordan Ladd) insists on delivering the stillborn child -- only to discover that the baby is alive and heinously hungry. Before long, voracious baby Grace spurns milk and forces Madeline to slake her insatiable appetite for blood. Paul Solet directs this masterful horror movie, while Gabrielle Rose and Stephen Park co-star.


This movie was stupid because nothing was explained.  I kept waiting for the end to hear why this baby was the way it was.  I kept waiting to find out what the history between the main girl and the midwife was.  I kept waiting to see just what the midwife really knew about what was going on.  Nothing.  It's not that the acting or anything was bad but I was left with an overwhelming need to know "Whyyyy?!?!"  Oh, and there are some very disturbing shots of animal cruelty on the TV in several scenes.  That was worse than anything in the story.  The images keep popping into my head and the old gag reflex acts up.  *shakes head*



Nothing But the Truth (2008)
Journalist Rachel Armstrong (Kate Beckinsale) turns Washington on its ear when she outs a casual acquaintance (Vera Farmiga) as a CIA agent. The government's formidable prosecutor (Matt Dillon) sends Rachel to jail for contempt, where she discovers the true impact of her decision. David Schwimmer, Alan Alda and Edie Falco co-star in this drama from Rod Lurie, the politically savvy filmmaker behind The Contender and "Commander in Chief."

This movie, on the other hand, was quite good.  It really gets you thinking.  You go back and forth on which side you think is 'right.'  It's like, ok, so she won't reveal her source...that's cool.  Very trustworthy.  Very noble.  Then as things start to fall apart for her you start to think 'Come on, just spill it already and salvage what you can of your life.'  You see the mess she's in and you wonder why she should have to suffer it when the unnamed source is probably out there living a normal happy life.  But then you find out what really happened, why she won't reveal and.....well, I got pissed.  It stuck with me for a long time, and I started to think she should have never even used that info.  So in the end, I didn't see her as any kind of hero or martyr or anything anymore.  Still, it was a good movie.





The Sorceress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel)
, by Michael Scott (2009)

The third book in Michael Scott's "Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel" series, The Sorceress, kicks the action up to a whole new level. Adding to the series' menagerie of immortal humans ("humani") and mythological beasts, the book picks up where The Magician left off: the immortal Nicholas Flamel (of The Alchemyst) and the twins, Sophie and Josh, have just arrived at St. Pancras international train station in London. Almost immediately, they're confronted with a demonic bounty hunter that immortal magician John Dee has sent their way. At the same time, Dee's occasional cohort, Niccolo Machiavelli, decides to focus his energy on Perenelle Flamel, the Alchemyst's wife, who has been imprisoned at Alcatraz since the beginning of the series. In this book, Perenelle gets a chance to show off her sorcery and resourcefulness, fighting and forging alliances with ghosts, beasts, and the occasional Elder to try and find a way out of her predicament and back to Flamel. Scott is as playful as ever, introducing new immortals--famous figures from history who (surprise!) are still alive. He also adds to the roster of fantastical beasts, which already includes such intriguing foes as Bastet, the Egyptian cat goddess, and the Morrigan, or Crow Goddess. Raising the stakes with each installment, Scott deftly manages multiple story lines and keeps everything moving pretty quickly, making this third book a real page-turner. More than just another piece in the puzzle of the whole series, The Sorceress is an adventure in its own right, and will certainly leave series fans wanting more. --Heidi Broadhead

I finished this book last night. The third in this series, this was my favorite so far. Nice little twist at the end that has me anxious to read the next one. There is nothing overly deep in these books, but they're a fun read. I got the first one cuz I thought it would be something Ty or Casey might like, thought it might encourage them to read. *snort* Then it just got to be 'Fine, I bought it so dang it *I* will read it.' I made a point of finishing this one last night because a new book from a different series came out today and I was all excited to start......



Splendor: A Luxe Novel, by Anna Godbersen (2009)
New beginnings.
Shocking revelations.
Unexpected endings.
A spring turns into summer, Elizabeth relishes her new role as a young wife, while her sister, Diana, searches for adventure abroad. But when a surprising clue about their father's death comes to light, the Holland girls wonder at what cost a life of splendor comes.
Carolina Broad, society's newest darling, fans a flame from her past, oblivious to how it might burn her future. Penelope Schoonmaker is finally Manhattan royalty—but when a real prince visits the city, she covets a title that comes with a crown. Her husband, Henry, bravely went to war, only to discover that his father's rule extends well beyond New York's shores and that fighting for love may prove a losing battle.
In the dramatic conclusion to the bestselling Luxe series, New York's most dazzling socialites chase dreams, cling to promises, and tempt fate. As society watches what will become of the city's oldest families and newest fortunes, one question remains: Will its stars fade away or will they shine ever brighter?

Remember earlier this year when I was reading this series? Well the fourth and final book was released today and I made a point of going to town today just to get it. Wouldn't you know, the Evil Empire does not have it yet. I should have figured this would happen because they didn't have The Sorceress until about two weeks after it came out. If I would have pre-ordered from Amazon I could be reading it right now. Someday I'll learn. *sigh*

In goat milk soap news....I started using my second bar several days ago.  This would be the Cranberry Spice bar that I ordered back in the beginning of this soap madness.  I don't like it nearly as much as the Oatmeal, Milk & Honey bar.  There doesn't seem to be any noticable scent in this.  It seems to leave more oil on my face too, not nearly as much as with regular face soap I had been using but more than the oatmeal bar.  It gets mushy alot faster in the shower too.  So, I'll use this one up and make a mental note to not order it again.

Why would I need to order anymore anyway, you're asking?  Aren't you making your own now, you're pointing out?  Heh, yeah, have had another setback and considered giving it up.  I'm starting to think now that being sick the last several days has had a big roll in that mood swing but even so it's still in my mind.  How did this change of heart come about, you're surely wondering?!  Well it's been a combination of things.  The more I read the more confused I get.  There is so much to learn!  I don't just want to make some basic boring thing that just gets the job done.  I want something lovely and worth making.  So then there has been the Battles of the Swirls that I am apparently just not meant to win.  When I think I'm ok with not doing swirls I see on the forum all these pics from people who just made their first batch and what do they have?  Beautiful swirls and clear, perfect colors.  GAH!

Another sore spot is the waxy look my soaps seem to take on.  Everyone else has beautiful creamy looking soaps.  On top of everything else I've noticed my colors are fading and changing into some really hideous shades of ugliness.  Seriously, my yellowish-tan Gingerbread scented bars are now an ugly grayish greenish brownish color.  Whyyyyy?!  The scents are fading to where I was sure there was nothing left but when hubby held one right up to his nose last night he said he could still smell it.  (I'm all stuffed up from my cold, so I couldn't smell a thing.)

Even this 4-6 weeks of curing time is part of my crabby mood.  When you're just starting out, this wait is really frustrating.  I want to use the soaps.  I want to know if they're any good.  I want to give them to the people who have asked about them.  I want their feedback.  Yet I have to sit and wait and watch my colors fade and turn ugly and wonder if those people will have lost interest.  And when I finally do have soap to hand out will the bars still be ugly and no longer scented and the people will be secretly thinking 'Wow, that's pretty freakin' nasty for soap' and just taking it to humor me?

Plus, being sick and working the past three days has not left me any time to do anything but sulk.  I even announced to hubby last night that I was closing up shop and he was shocked.  He listened to me whine and vent, and suggested I just give it more time, that I'm sick and crabby and shouldn't be worrying about soap.

SO!  Today was my day off and I'm starting to feel better.  I went to town this morning to get my book which was not there, and when I got home...when I stepped into the house...I could smell the wonderful pumpkin spice aroma of my soap!  I got all excited.  Ty said he still smells it everyday.  I got more excited, realizing maybe it really was just my stupid head cold that's been preventing me from smelling it.  Woohoo!  I took all my soap bars down from their curing place up on top of the cupboard.  I did some trimming with my sucky trimmer (definately needs to be modified), cut them down into smaller bars so I'll have enough to hand out to everyone who wants to try them, then used my veggie peeler to bevel edges.  I inspected every bar, cleaning up edges and rough spots and stuck on crumbs, etc.  I was amazed to see that the carrot orange swirl bars that had turned ugly gray-brown are getting orange again!!!  A brighter orange than what I started with!  I really don't know if they'll continue to lighten....it's only on the edges for now....but it's perked me up tremendously!!

I went ahead and set up my lightbox and took new pics of each batch.  I don't know if I'll post them because I still have some learning to do on that part of things too....tweaking the white balance and focus and stuff.  Plus, if the colors are going to keep changing these pics will mean nothing in the end.  If anyone wants to see them, let me know and I will post them.

The point of all this though is that my spirits were lifted today by these few small things and I don't think I'm quite ready to give up yet.  One sore spot is still the name.  I can't come up with a name that I like!!  I'm already reconsidering the Viking versions.  I'm currently kicking around 'maiden' and 'Springvale,' trying to come up with something that has that down home crafty feel.  I'm wondering if just plain ol' 'Springvale' would be enough?  Hmmm.

Well I've nattered quite a bit tonight.  Tomorrow is our dorky safety training at work so half of my day off is shot.  Bleah.  Oh well, I have no book to read and no soap to make anyway.

Nite!!

6 comments:

  1. I do like "Springvale", but am still trying to come up with something else...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was playing around with Printmaster and accidentally came up with a logo that I love. I just need to figure out how to get it onto something workable for wrapping around the soap now...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Springvale a lot. Where does that come from? I *kinda* liked Village Viking but wasn't sold on it.

    I'm glad you didn't close up shop! Being sick can really mess with your confidence level and determination, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And by "your" I meant anyone's confidence level and determination.

    And I'd really like to see the other lightbox pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Springvale is our actual physical address, our fire number address. 'Town of Springvale.' You know, one of those non-existent places like 'West Rosendale.'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was a place around there--it sounded too familiar.

    ReplyDelete