Monday, November 16, 2009

Nov. 16

Frozen River (2008)

On a Mohawk reservation on the Canadian border, Ray Eddy (Melissa Leo, in an Oscar-nominated turn) teams with widowed tribe member Lila Littlewolf (Misty Upham) to smuggle illegal immigrants into the United States. Though the work provides the women with much-needed money, each trip puts them in peril. Charlie McDermott and Michael O'Keefe also star in this riveting drama nominated for multiple Independent Spirit Awards, including Best Feature.

This was a very good movie.  There were a couple bits of fairly crappy acting from some minor characters but it was easy to overlook that.  It kinda reminded me of the look and feel of Gone Baby Gone, which I also really liked.  I don't even know what to say about it without giving it all away.  Just...good movie, go rent it.

I made those Smelly Jelly Jars this morning.  It was ridiculously easy, took about five minutes. 

 
I think I didn't let the water/oil get hot enough.  It said heat it 'just' to boiling and I pulled it off when first bubbles were starting but no actual boil activity happening.  This might have kept the gelatin and salt from dissolving properly.  I didn't use any food coloring in these.  I think the Pear Spice fragrance oil gave it the yellow look.  Does plain gelatin leave any color?  Poured them in my former Glade candle holders and left them alone to firm up.  Later in the afternoon I placed them in various spots throughout the house.  They smell lovely!  Hubby even commented when he stepped into the house this evening.  I don't know if I'll make them again but it was a handy little way to use up the non-soap-safe fragrance oil.

Spent a good part of the day obsessing about soap, as usual.  I've been browsing the fragrance oil sites and making mental wish lists.  I've been chatting with a couple people about favored scents.  I've been checking out other peoples websites and products.  I was reading a 'start your small business' website.  And all of it was making me crabby because I'm too impatient for this early stage of learning, practicing, perfecting.

*Tried* to finish reading my book today so I can move onto the borrowed philosophy book.  Didn't get much done though because my mind is racing on other things.  Gah!

So, blah blah blah whatever.....drawing a blank now, so I'll just go to bed.




3 comments:

  1. Will have to check out that movie.

    That's cool about the jars being good & smelly. (Hence the name, I guess ... doh) Do you know how long the fragrance lasts with those?

    I still say just start selling now what you happen to make and perfect as you go along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By "what you happen to make" I meant don't worry about always having certain things on hand. I don't know if you were worried about that anyway, but that's what I meant. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how long they're supposed to last but mine are mellow already after only a week. They are looking much less beautiful too... there is a thin, dark layer of something that rose to the top, and there is a thin layer of liquid on top of that. I wonder if it's because I didn't mix it and/or heat it enough...?

    I also don't know what to do with it when I no longer want it. Scoop it out with a spoon and throw it away? The little glass globes are too nice to throw away so the gel will have to come out.

    ReplyDelete