Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Mar. 31 - Paranormal Activity

Paranormal Activity (2007)
When Katie (Katie Featherston) and Micah (Micah Sloat) fear their San Diego, Calif., home may be haunted by a demonic presence, Micah sets up a video camera to document all the jaw-dropping, hair-raising action over a series of several nights in fall 2006. The paranormal occurrences increase in frequency and significance, leaving Katie more and more distraught -- and determined to put an end to the terror.

Oh. My. God.  This is the scariest movie ever.  I'm still all wound up, like hyper and shakey and feeling like I have to throw up.  LOL!  I've heard some people say it was stupid and predictable and the Blair Witch style was annoying.  (One person told me the acting sucks.  Hello?)  Ya know what though?  That's why it IS so scary.  It's the things you don't see that freak you out the most.  It's the tiny things that you weren't sure if they really happened.  It's the anticipation of knowing that something is about to happen, and then no matter how small it was you find yourself freaked.  Even some of the things that you think 'Ok, that was kinda cheesy,' just freak you out.  Even hubby was freaked, and not in a hugely obvious way like jumping or yelling, but more of an increasing nervousness like I was having.  It really got the adrenalin flowing!  The DVD has the theatrical ending and the alternate ending.  We both thought the theatrical ending was the better of the two and were glad that's the one they went with.

In the movie the couple disagree about how to deal with what might be going on.  The boyfriend doesn't really believe in any of the ghosty stuff at first, then has an attitude that the stuff they got on tape will be worth something.  He thinks psychics and such people are a crock of poo, and that they can figure out what to do themselves.  The girl wants to call the demonologist that the psychic recommended.  The couple have several arguments about what to do.  So at one point in the movie I paused it and asked hubby.....we were both mildly freaked by this point.....asked him what he would have done by this particular point.  He didn't hesitate with 'The demonologist would have already been there.'  I asked how long it would have taken him to decide that.  His breaking point was much later than mine....LOL  (I don't want to give away anything.)

Another part later on, after the freaking out is big time and constant, the couple are scared and confused about where in the house to go and I was waving my hands at the TV 'Outside!  I'd be outside by now!' and felt a real need to actually leave my own living room.  LOL!!!!

It was more of a fun scare, an adrenalin rush, than any lasting fear of the dark type thing.  Even so, I will never watch this movie alone!

2 comments:

  1. This is from 2007? Gah, now I'm even more confused ..... Did it just come out on DVD? What was with those commercials for it just a few weeks ago?

    Agh

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was originally made in 2006, I think. It took forever to get any sort of backing and went it was finally released it was only to a few college town theaters. Word spread and an internet campaign pulled tons more interest and it was just finally released as a major film in late 2009. Just came out on DVD earlier this year.

    I don't think I've ever seen any commercials for this one either. I only knew about it from something I saw in Entertainment Weekly.

    ReplyDelete