Thursday, May 6, 2010

May 6

My Sister's Keeper (2009)
A former defense attorney (Cameron Diaz) finds herself back in the courtroom when she and her husband (Jason Patric) are sued for medical emancipation by their 11-year-old daughter, Anna (Abigail Breslin), who is expected to donate a kidney to her dying older sister. The subsequent trial tests ethical boundaries and the limits of parental love. Joan Cusack and Alec Baldwin round out the cast in this powerful drama based on Jodi Picoult's novel.

I had wanted to read this book for so long before finally getting around to it, only to be disappointed.  I didn't like the way the book jumped around, and I really didn't like the ending...thought it was a total cop out.  So when the movie came out I wasn't overly anxious to see it.  I knew they'd changed the ending and knew there was some uproar about it but I hadn't known what the change was until very recently when a co-worker blabbed it.  The movie worked its way to the top of my Netflix list and had been sitting here for probably three weeks before I *finally* watched it today.  I knew it was a tearjerker, which is probably why I kept putting off watching it.  Even though I tend to cry easily over anything and everything, when it comes to movies that I know are going to be a big sobfest I seem to need to be in a mood to allow it.  Still, I wasn't prepared for this.  Wow.  There were times when I was totally body shaking sobbing.  And I actually liked the big change they made towards the end.  But wow, a huge emotional journey that has me thinking it'll be a long time before I'm recovered enough to watch that other tearjerker on my list....Hachi

The Invisible (2007)
After high schooler Nick (Justin Chatwin) is brutally attacked and left for dead, he regains consciousness and then discovers that he's invisible to everyone -- except for a troubled young girl (Margarita Levieva) running from the authorities. An unsettling glimpse at one man's nightmarish limbo, this supernatural thriller from the producers of The Sixth Sense explores the elusive place between the world of the living and the land of the dead.

Also watched this one tonight, another that has been sitting here for weeks.  This one popped up in the Netflix recommendationsI'd never heard of it otherwise.  I went into it with very little expectations so I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it, how much I was getting into it.  While I thought almost everything with the girl was annoying (wanted to rip her dang hat off, then once she took it off I wanted her to put it back on), I really liked the boy's side of things.  I *loved* when he was yelling in her face that it was all her fault, all her choices, despite how 'bad' her life was.  *LOVED* that!  And then it all turned to crap.  I thought for sure the girl was going to die in the car, be shot by the police or send herself over the cliff or something, and that was going to 'allow' the boy to come back.  But what they dragged it out as and turned it into....please, really?!  It became so dumb that my tears dried up and I was rolling my eyes, almost laughing in an angry 'wtf?!' way.  Even with that crap ending though, I'd suggest this movie if you ever come across it while flipping through channels or a cheap rental.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED "My Sister's Keeper"!! Haven't seen the movie yet, though. I'm not sure if I want to- I know sort of how they change the ending. *frowns*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the movie alot more than the book because it seemed to flow better. A coworker also read the book and saw the movie, and hated the movie ending. She said *that* ending was a total cop out like I felt the book was.

    I liked that the movie didn't show the son/brother (Jesse?) starting fires and getting into all the trouble he did in the book.

    ReplyDelete