Monday, January 24, 2011

Jan. 24, 2011 - A couple of products

Last summer I tried a new dish soap that I'd found at Target.  This was when I was constantly on the lookout for earth friendly and local products.  The soap was from a company called Caldrea.  (See the post about it HERE, scroll down to about halfway through.)  There were things I liked about it and things I didn't.  In the end I decided not to buy anymore because it was pricey compared to other earth friendly products I could get.

So, a while later...a month or two maybe....and totally unrelated, I won a giveaway on a blog I'd been following.  My prize was (I got to choose) a bottle of natural toilet cleaner from the Mrs. Meyers company.  I had never heard of Mrs. Meyers products but apparently several other people on the blog had.  Maybe I'd just never paid attention?
While reading the label I noticed in the fine print it said something about Caldrea.  I don't remember now if it was something about 'a division of Caldrea' or just what it was that caught my eye but I was intrigued.  I sent a little email to 'Mrs. Meyers,' thanking 'her' for the prize, and then asking if they were the same company as the Caldrea dish soap I had used.  I got a very nice reply, thanking me for thanking them (lol) and although they never said if it was all the same company or what, they said they wanted to send me some scent samples of their products.  Very soon after than I received a large envelope in the mail.  I thought it would just be some little scratch-n-sniff type things of scents they carry.  No, these were actual samples of dish soap.  Cool!
There are five samples.  They look big enough that I'll get two, maybe three, uses out of each one.  The scents (left to right) are: Lavender Pine, Sandalwood Riceflower, Ginger Pomelo, Sea Salt Neroli, and Basil Blue Sage.  I was more excited about this than the actual prize that I'd won!  LOL!  They've been sitting in the envelope here on my desk for months now because I was waiting to blog about them.  Well, I guess once I took the picture I could have gone ahead and used them but no, they've just been sitting on my desk.  Ooops.

As for the original prize, I don't like it.  Our water is so hard and nasty, and our bathroom doesn't get cleaned as often as it should, so this stuff doesn't seem to do anything.  Maybe on an already clean toilet, used for regular upkeep it would keep it clean but on something already very dirty......bleah.

Sometime after winning the Mrs. Meyer's cleaner I won another giveaway on the same blog.  This time I won a package of Skoy cloths.

The website describes them:

The SKOY cloth is a fabulous, absorbent, biodegradable and natural multi-use cloth.  Our re-usable earth friendly cloth is perfect in your kitchen, bathroom, and on most surface areas in your home or office.  SKOY cloth can be used in place of your sponge, wash cloth or paper towels. 

It is a European made product and 100% biodegradable because it is made from a natural cotton and wood-based cellulose pulp.  SKOY cloth is a chlorine-free product using water-based colors and inks.  After an independent composting test, SKOY cloth broke down completely within 5 weeks.


The SKOY cloth is a durable product due to the reusability factor and can last months.  Using a SKOY cloth is equivalent to using 15 rolls of paper towels in an average home.  With the high cost of paper towels, as much as $2 per roll, SKOY cloth is the obvious choice for your wallet and the environment.


The SKOY cloth has an absorption factor of 15x its own weight.  As a result, producing the most superior cloth product available.  Imagine using 15 sheets of good-quality paper towels at once… This is how a wet SKOY cloth will feel in your hand. 


The SKOY cloth is long-lasting because of the wash ability feature.  It dries quickly, so it is not a breeding ground for bacteria.    Have you ever used your sponge, then smelled your hand and it reeked of horrible bacteria? That will never happen again if you microwave your SKOY cloth regularly. It is also dishwasher and washer/dryer safe. Cleaning your SKOY cloth will keep it healthy and germ-free.  Please see Use & Care for instructions.   


The cool and unique designs will make cleaning fun!


When I got them I was disappointed.  Not sure what I was thinking they'd be like but what I pulled out of the package was a bundle of colored squares that were stiff like cardboard.

The packaging was cute but I looked at these things and thought they couldn't possibly be any good.  I had visions of them becoming nasty rough things that either didn't get into places you needed them to or would be leaving bits behind as you cleaned.  I tossed them under the bathroom sink and there they sat for months.  Then one day I was going to throw them out but decided that wouldn't be fair if I hadn't even tried the poor things.  So I decided to give the bathroom sink a little wipe down just to say I'd used them.  And whoa!  These things are freakin' awesome.  They are indeed like sponge-towels!  There is no pulpy mess left behind.  They soak up tons of water.  They wring out easily and spring back to shape so you can get right back into cleaning.  I ended up scrubbing the bathroom and that one yellow Skoy cloth handled it all and looked no worse for the wear at the end of the day.  I draped it over the edge of the bucket to dry and when I wanted to use it again just a bit of water brought it right back to its sponge-towel gloriousness.

I love these things!  Since I finally started using them, the same one has scrubbed my bathroom many times and still looks good as new.  Ok, true, I haven't used it with really harsh chemicals to get the nastiest places scoured but I bet they'd do pretty good.  If you ever have a chance to try or buy these, I say DO IT!

4 comments:

  1. Cool, good thing you didn't toss 'em! I'm gonna check out their site and maybe get some of those down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and that's awesome that 'Mrs. Meyers' sent you those samples!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time you're here I'll give you one of the Skoy cloths. Hopefully one of us will remember...

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete