Sunday, April 3, 2011

April 3 - Paranormal Activity 2

Ok, before I get into this, I need you to go back and read THIS POST from last spring....

Done?  Ok, now we can continue.

Paranormal Activity 2 (2010)
Doors slamming shut, shadows moving across the floor -- the unexplained, terrifyingly real supernatural forces are back, and this time, Dan (Brian Boland), Kristi (Sprague Grayden), Ali (Molly Ephraim), baby Hunter and dog Abby become part of the nightmare as the cameras roll. Tod Williams (The Door in the Floor) directs and Michael R. Perry ("Persons Unknown") writes this spine-chilling sequel to the wildly popular 2009 flick. 

This movie sucked.  It was totally just trying to cash in on the success of the first one.  I mean, ok, I knew going into it that it couldn't possibly be as freaky as the first one because we're already used to that.  Still, I had hope that it might be freaky in its own way.  Nah.  There was only one part that got me and that was just a 'BOO!' type moment when all the cabinet doors exploded open at the same time.  (That part was actually funny to go back and watch again, and watch the actress's reaction.  We're convinced she was scared shitless, that it was a first take, and that they probably hadn't told her what was going to happen.)

The storyline was stupid in the way they tied it into the first one.  Chronologically, this one starts before the first movie's events, then towards the end events of both movies overlap, then it finishes out (timewise) in the second movie's storyline.  It was all very stupid and it sort of cheapens the story of the first movie.

The acting in this one was....acting.  The first one seemed much more natural, like it was supposed to be.

The tension building moments, like when they're showing the various home security camera views....there was too much time spent showing nothing.  I know it was suppose to be building suspense, make you examine every inch of the screen because you just know something is going to be there.  But for too much of the time there just WASN'T anything there.  Well.............unless we missed things because they were TOO subtle.  And then the things that did start happening were just 'bigger' than the freaky things in the first one, like they tried to step it up to compete.  And that didn't work.

So it just totally sucked for me.  Hubby didn't like it either.  I won't bother buying this one.  Hmm, well, maybe I will someday when I find it cheap, because I always have to complete sets.  hehe

And there was one part that I remember from the commercials and previews that I did not see in the movie.  There was a part with the little boy standing outside on the sidewalk, or in the road or something, and one of the girls was running to him or asking him what he was doing out there or something like that.  There was nothing like that in the version we saw.  *grrr*

After watching this I had a strong urge to watch the first one again, to sort of redeem it, to make sure it was still really freaky.  (I have not watched it since that first time.)  I had other things to do yesterday so I didn't actually watch it, but it was my head all the rest of the day.  Even during the night, I woke up because my nose was all stuffed up, got a drink, used the bathroom, went back to bed....and lay there wide awake, gradually recalling more and more of the first movie and getting really freaked out.  LOL!  This was about 2-3am, when all the rest of the house was asleep and quiet.  And here is me, staring at the ceiling, remembering all these freaky scenes.  And then my fattycat quietly nudged the bedroom door open and I nearly flew out of bed screaming.

LOL!!!

(Ok, I was just looking online for some pics from the movie to include and found one that suggests there WERE subtle things going on that I didn't notice.  Hmmm.  Still sucks because if they were that subtle that we couldn't see them, what good did they do?)

6 comments:

  1. "and I nearly flew out of bed screaming"

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually he does a little meow to announce that the boss is in the house, and then he jumps on the bed. He didn't do it this time, which made it all the more freaky. Even though I knew it was the cat that did it, I had put myself into such a highstrung state that it creeped me out. LOL

    I think I was laying wondering what I'd do if I didn't have a cat and that had happened. DOH!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you would have done was had a cardiac arrest, without even time to say, "I think I'm having ... a cardiac arrest."

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an awesome blog! I can`t wait to see more of your posts in the future! :)

    have a great time,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete