Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July 20 - Candles By Victoria

I've never been a big fan of candles because I've never had much luck with them.  I could never smell them unless I practically had my face in them, or they'd burn a tunnel down the center and be a waste, and I'd wonder what the thrill of candles was . . . why does everyone love burning candles??

I stumbled across wax tarts a few years ago and they immediately became my preferred form of home fragrance.  I was content with my tarts until I started watching YouTube haul/review videos.  Seeing all those people raving about the various candles they'd bought, seeing how cute or beautiful those candles were, hearing about all the sales or amazing scents . . . I wanted to burn candles too!  Was I just candle challenged?  How hard could it be to, well, light a wick???

Around Christmas last year hubby and I went through a candle burning phase.  I decided that whether I could smell them or not, I liked the look of having a candle burning and I wanted to get rid of the few we'd accumulated.  Hubby became hooked on candles and wanted more.

Then I started paying attention to some of the YouTubers and one name kept coming up.

Candles By Victoria.

I started watching more videos.  I browsed their site.  I lurked at their messageboard.  There was nothing but good things being said, and everyone seemed to mention how strong the scent throw is.  And they have tarts!  It took me a while to finally order, and I didn't want to order tarts because it was *candles* I was in search of, but in April I finally did it.  I don't remember specifically anymore what was in that first order but I know it was small because I wasn't convinced.

I am convinced now.  These are the best candles I've ever tried.  We have a big country farmhouse, large rooms, lots of space.  We can have one of these candles burning in the living room and I can usually smell it all the way into the kitchen.  Sometimes we can even smell them upstairs.  Maybe that's too much for smaller spaces, or those who prefer lighter scents, but for me it was like "AHA!!  A candle that works as well as my favorite tarts!!!"  And I was sold.  We've only had smaller sized ones so far but they have burned perfectly, no tunneling, no waste.  And the scent throw has remained strong right to the end.

I placed a second order in May, again fairly small because I wanted to try some other styles.  These have been great so far too.  Oh!  Forgot to mention that you get a free random 'scent shot' (large tart) with every order, so I've been able to try their tarts as well.

I really have no clue why I didn't take pictures of my orders when I got them, or why I didn't blog about them at the time.  Now that I've got some free time, and it's too hot to do anything anyway because of this dang heat wave, I decided it was time to do some blogging.  And realized I didn't have pics of these things!  Luckily I still have a few left to show, and I still had some of the empty containers to help me remember what I'd bought.
The main thing I've ordered has been the smaller size jars you see in this pic.  They are the mini jelly jars and are 4oz. candles.  The ones we've burned so far have been Cottage Garden, which was green and described as 'Violet, Jasmine, Rose, lily, & hyacinth, coupled with peach, pineapple & melon.'  It was sooo nice, and hubby loved it because he's not big on the foodie scents that I always tend to buy.  We've also burned Bella Swan, which was purple and described as 'Chelsea and I put our noses together and came up with the most amazing scent... just like Edward describes Bella, sweet and floral with a warm vanilla note... so pretty!!!'  We loved that one.


Others in jelly jar form that we haven't burned yet are:
Carmen Miranda (red) - 'A sweet blend of oranges, apples, berries, and peaches with a vanilla background.'  I love this one and can't wait to start burning it.  None of the individual fruits really dominate, just a really nice blend with that vanilla to soften it.
Cherry Colada (red) - 'A combination of Cherry and Coconut.'  Another yummy one.  The coconut just slightly edges out the cherry but then that cherry comes back to remind you it's there.
Butterfly Kisses (purple) - 'Creative blend of just the right amount of juicy sweetened cantaloupe with nuances of tart kiwi; rounded out with floral notes of lilac and honeysuckle.'  You definitely get the cantaloupe and the lilac, and a very nice swirl of everything else to keep you going back with a 'Wait, was that melon?  No, floral?'  An awesome blend.


We also tried an 8oz. tureen candle.  That's the larger, empty one to the right in the picture.  The tureen style jars are so pretty, definitely something you can hang onto when your candle is gone and use it for holding small things . . . spare change, lip balms, cotton balls, pen/pencil holder.  We got the Hawaiian Hula Muffin scent for this one.  It was yellow and described as 'Pineapple, Buttercream Crunch, Caramel and cookie.'  And oh my gosh, I loved this one!!  I will be getting this scent again in some form.


I also wanted to try the votive style because I figured we can just plunk one in an empty jelly jar.  Reuse, recycle, baby!  Because I am a Twilight geek and because we'd already enjoyed Bella, I ordered Edward Cullen.  They are yellow candles, and described as 'Inspired by the book Twilight and specifically Edward Cullen, the author of Twilight Stephanie Myer describes Edward as smelling like a mixture of sunshine, lilac and honey.'   I'm not sure what sunshine should smell like (lol) and this is almost too girly but it's still a very nice scent.  My first impression is that it's perfumey but then you recognize the lilac in there.  I'm not sure what Stephanie Meyer was thinking by imagining Edward smelling so pretty.  We haven't actually burned these yet.  You get three in a pack, but I gave one away.  I'll forget this is called Edward Cullen and just enjoy the scent for what it is . . . hehe.


Because I've placed two orders so far, I've received two free 'scent shots.'  I've already melted both of them but you can see what kind of container they come in, the empty plastic cup on the upper right in the picture.  They are generous size tarts in a tartar sauce type plastic cup.  One that I received was Palm Island, was blue, and is described as 'A luxury spa fragrance! Palm Island is a private island paradise located in the Grenadines frequented by many celebrities. Home of one of the most romantic and serene vacation spots in the world, Palm Island is an escape from a busy world. Candles By Victoria has created Palm Island fragrance to embrace the feeling of complete well-being of the mind, body and spirit. This upscale fragrance begins with a rejuvenating medley of sweet orange blossoms, yuzu, and kumquat; followed by middle notes of juniper, Mediterranean fan palm, and rosemary; and creates complete ecstasy with base notes of fresh sandalwood and Tahitian vanilla beans. '  I don't even know how to describe this scent.  Although this is probably not something I'd have picked on my own I have found that I really do like it.  I've been sniffing the empty cup, trying to decide what to write about it and 'fruity sandalwood' is all I can come up with but it's soo much more than that.  Without knowing what's in it, when you just smell it, yeah I think of islands, water, high class.  Very nice, very hard to describe.


The other free tart I had was called Whistlin' Dixie, also blue, and described as 'An inviting aura of twilight skies infused with red currant and soft dewberry.  This southern cotton flower is blended with ylang petals and lily of the valley and has undertones of white amber and vanilla orchid wrapped in a blanket of warm musk.'  I don't have the empty cup anymore to refresh my memory and be able to describe it but I know I really liked it.  


So yes, I'm convinced I've found candles that I can be happy with.  You absolutely have to check out the Candles By Victoria site.  There are so many sizes and styles of candles, and SOOOO many scents to choose from.  It's almost overwhelming when trying to decide what to order, but you pretty much can't go wrong.  I'm pretty sure I'll be doing a chunk of Christmas shopping at their site!  And look at the newest lines they've come out with . . . HERE and HERE.

Victoria and her husband are very actively involved with their fans and customers.  They have a very busy Facebook page, a fun YouTube channel, a huge website, busy forum, tons of contests and sales.  And wonderful products to keep that love flowing.  Go check them out now!

Candles by Victoria on . . . FACEBOOK.
Candles by Victoria on . . . YOUTUBE.
Candles by Victoria . . . WEBSITE.

2 comments:

  1. Those sound super lovely!

    Hm ... which will I get for Christmas? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh not you. You get an iTunes card. :P

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete