Friday, August 12, 2011

Aug. 12 - August Birchbox

What did I get this month?????

So, my Birchbox for August arrived a couple days ago and of course I had to tear it open immediately.  I've lost my silly urge to play with makeup since receiving my first box, last month.  There have just been a lot of things going on.  But as soon as I saw this I was all giddy, "What did I get?  What did I get???"

Of course there was the usual information card on top of the tissue paper but I skipped that photo this time and went right for the good stuff.  It's a nice maroon color theme this month, and when I opened the paper I didn't immediately recognize anything.

The first thing I pulled out was 'blinc' brand mascara.  I laughed because I'd just recently seen something like this in a BentleyBlonde video over at YouTube, although I don't remember if it was this same brand.  Apparently it doesn't just coat your lashes, it creates little 'tubes' around them that are water resistant and won't run, smudge, clump, or flake.  Interesting.  Mine is the color black, by the way.

Next thing I pulled out was this 'Befine - food skin care' night cream with cocoa, millet, and rice bran.  I was excited about this because it's something I know I will use, and because the foodie factor always intrigues me.  After trying like crazy to inhale some scent from the tube I noticed it says 'fragrance free.'  Doh!

Then I pulled this one out and knew I was loving this month's box.  It is also from 'Befine - food skin care' and is an exfoliating cleanser with brown sugar, sweet almond, and oats.  Can't wait to try this one!

Next I pulled out the little wrapped and ribboned package and found this sample of Twirl perfume by Kate Spade.  I was very happy to get perfume but a wee bit bummed because I'm pretty sure this was in the June Birchbox.  I think I remember this from watching Ellie's first Birchbox video.  Oh well, it's new to me and like the Befine products, I know I will use this.  The info card says it's a fruity floral.

Also in the little package was a tiny bottle of  'Lift Lab - Skin Regeneration.'  The info card says it's an anti-aging serum.  It has a little dropper tube applicator.  To be honest, I don't even know how to use this.  LOL  A regular 3.4oz bottle of this is $85.  Yowzers.

That black band you see in the picture was also in the box.  It's a simple but pretty black stretchy hair tie.  My hair is too short to use this at the moment but I will hang onto it for when I do have long enough hair again.

This month's box was a lot of fun, just like last month.  I'm a little iffy on the mascara because I haven't taken the makeup plunge yet, and I'll need to find out more about the anti-aging serum, but I like all of these things so far.  I'll let you know more after I actually use the things.  Hehe!

My thoughts on last month's products . . . 
Ahava mineral hand cream - I used most of it but it's now been set aside and I've gone back to handmade creams from soapers I've discovered.  The Ahava seemed fine at first, was light and spread easily (a little goes a long way) and absorbed quickly, but I noticed it didn't seem to last long.  It definitely didn't last through even the quickest hand washing, and the moisturizing just didn't seem to last long in general.

Philosophy Purity facial cleanser - I loved this stuff.  I think Philosophy products are going on my Christmas list this year.  It worked great, and that little bottle lasted a long time.  I'd been getting some breakouts, whether from the hot, sticky weather and being sweaty at work, or from the over creamy goat milk soap I'd been using on my face (or a combination of both) and the Purity cleared things up.  It didn't leave my skin dry and tight either.

Zoya nail polish - I played around with it a bit but my nail painting skills need a lot of work.  I like it though.  It's definitely nicer than the cheapies I'd been trying before.

Redken Shine Flash 02 hair spray - I used this several times before giving up.  I didn't notice much difference when I used it, but maybe brushing it through your hair would work better.  I just sprayed it on.  Also, I wash my hair every other day and when using this spray on the in-between day it really made my hair greasy faster.  I'll pass this on to my sister if she's interested.

Kind Fruit & Nut bar - I ate it and it was good for an out of the ordinary treat but not something I'd eat on a regular basis.

If you haven't signed up for Birchbox yet, I highly recommend you give it a try.  It's fun even if you never buy the products you try.  It's $10 a month, and you can cancel anytime . . . you're not locked in for six months or a year or anything like that.  Try it!  I want to know what YOU get!  =)


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like cool stuff.

    Holy cow--$85?! So basically you could accidentally drop $10 in the sink. Lol. I'd be afraid to even open it.

    Cool to hear that the Philosophy stuff was so good.

    Sure, I'll take the hair shine spray stuff.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete