Friday, August 12, 2011

(Import Post) Dec. 16, 2010 - LUSH

(This is an imported older post from my soap blog.)

So, I couldn't help myself.  I was sooooooo curious about Lush that I ordered a few things.  I was so excited about it all that I had decided Lush was my new favorite thing and was ready to make a second order even before I'd tried things from my first order.

And then I tried the products.

First. let me tell you what I bought.....


I had mentioned the Glogg shower gel in my previous post about Lush, and I did indeed order that one.  The site describes it as 'a LUSH interpretation of a Swedish spin on festive mulled wine. While it may be tempting to take a swig of our festive shower gel, we recommend you save the warming effects of the organic red wine, brandy and spice oils for the benefit of your body.'   Hubby and I liked this one.  I'm pretty sure part of the reason I liked it is simply because it's shower gel...hehe!  It does have a cinnamon scent but there is something else with it that makes it kinda sweet and tart.  That would be the wine I guess, duh.  Anyway, it immediately reminded of something I hadn't thought of in years, something I still can't recall the name of.....a candy from my childhood.  It was a red, cinnamon candy that was a thin, flat, slab in a tight fitting wrapper.  The color was sort of see-through, like stained glass I guess you could say....?  I think it was hard, not a chewy candy.  I think the wrapper might have had yellow and black on it.  And it was by the cheap candy like the little boxes of Lemonheads and Boston Baked Beans.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Anyway, liked the Glogg.

The yellow chunk of soap next to the Glogg bottle is Vanilla In The Mist, 'If you can't live without your morning vanilla latte, our new Vanilla In The Mist soap is for you. Its strong scent of roasted cocoa beans and sweet vanilla is as good at waking you up as a freshly brewed cup of java.'  Hubby didn't have much to say about this one, but he's not much of a soap critic anyway.  I don't find any java, latte, coffee type scent in this, but I do get the vanilla and some other sweetness.  The soap itself isn't too bad, but it isn't anywhere near as wonderful as I thought Lush would be with all the hype this stuff gets.  And it has not helped with my previously mentioned dry itchies.

The brown speckled soap in the pic is Porridge, 'Start the day the Goldilocks way with a helping or three of porridge oats. Ideal for sensitive skin; irresistible to everyone else. Oats are soothing for the skin, while orange juice is refreshing. Rise and shine with some delicious porridge.'   I have not used this one yet.  The scent is soft and sweet but nothing in particular comes to mind.

The small green bit of soap in front is Sea Vegetable, 'A refreshing splash in the ocean. Sea Vegetable is made with seaweed, one of our favourite ingredients, with a crust of stimulating sea salt to give your body a good scrub down. It is considered a milestone in our soaps, as it was the first time we put seaweed and seaweed absolute in there. It's like standing on the coast and inhaling the fresh sea air. Our customers and product inventors adore this one for its uniqueness.'   This was a free sample they included and I did not like it at all.  The whole seaweed thing is kinda creepy to me.  Maybe because the piece is so small, or maybe because of the salt, it barely lathered at all and I had to work hard to get what tiny bit I did.  The scent was interesting, something I can take or leave, something that reminds me of an aftershave.  Hubby really liked the scent but wasn't fond of the soap itself.

The yellowish tannish pinkish bit of soap is Honey I Washed The Kids, 'Once you've unwrapped this mouth-watering toffee scented soap, you'll immediately want to wash yourself all over with it - and then wash your honey, and then the kids and maybe even gran if she's lucky. With masses of honey and aloe, this delectable bar is perfect for washing the whole family, even those with sensitive skin. Topped with a slice of beeswax and infused with bergamot and sweet orange to lift spirits right up into honey-heaven.'  This is a hugely popular Lush choice, and one of the dupe scents that all soap makers seem to have, so I was excited to see this as my free sample.  I was also disappointed.  I don't get a toffee scent from this.  I just get the same generic sweetness that the others seem to have.  I thought maybe it was just from being packed in the box with everything else but no, there was nothing distinct when I was actually using the soap either.  Again, maybe because the sample was so small, I didn't get much lather.  It was better than the seaweed one but still not as great as I'd thought Lush would be.  I don't know if hubby used this one.

The brown and white ball with the little green holly leaves is Lil Lush Pud bath bomb,  'Our lil' version of a traditional Christmas pudding grows more popular every year. The fragrance of our pud will instantly make you hungry for a figgy pudding. Although this is a Bath Bomb, it contains many of the things you'll find in your Christmas dessert.  The Pud is one of our most soothing Bath Bombs. It's made with aloe vera extract to nurture dry or rough skin and add a brown colour to the little bomb. Powdered lemon peel and clove add both sweetness and spice, giving you the full pudding experience right there in your bathroom. Cloves are spicy and have a mild analgesic effect. We use powdered clove to add spice to our fizzing figgy pudding.'   I am not a bath taker (shower and go for me!) so I'm not sure why I felt the need to order this but it sounded so nice and looked so good.....  I have not used it yet.  Once again, it has a generic sweet scent but there is a warm coziness to this one.  With as cold as it's been lately, and with my dry itchy skin problems, maybe I'll try stealing some me time tonight and take a nice long warm soak.

And last is the reddish orange, white, speckled thing one the left.  This is the Gingerbread House bubble bar,
'Spicy, warming and scrumptious, this gingerbread house is strictly for the bath - no nibbling! It looks good enough to eat, but trust us and crumble it under running water instead. We know you'll find the mounds of cinnamon and ginger oil bubbles just as delicious. Use this one after a long day of snow sledding to banish the winter chills.'   Have not used this one yet either but I'm kinda looking forward to it simply because it's been YEARS since I've had a good ol' bubble bath.  The scent however, is not much to get excited about.  Definitely not the gingerbread type scent I'm used to.  I don't even know how to describe this.  It's not soft and nice the like sweetness of the others, but it's not anything comforting or warm either.  I don't know, just....odd.

So yeah, my Lush order.  I never did place that second order, for a few reasons.  First, I have so much soap already that I really do need to just stop buying new things for a while.  Second, I asked for bath and body products on my bithday/Christmas list.  And, for all the hype and for how much people *LOVE* their Lush, I don't see that much that is so fabulous about it.  Sure it's fun and colorful and creative, but for something that still uses frowned upon chemicals I would have thought these soaps would be ah-mayz-ing....and they're not.

Would I use Lush again?  Yes.  I'd be thrilled if I received Lush products as gifts, and there are a few more things I'd like to try but I don't think it will become any regular thing for me.  Maybe if they were all-natural and had better lather and took care of my dry itchies I'd be willing to pay the high prices, but...nope, they're not and they don't.  So my overall opinion is that I'm glad I tried Lush and I do think they are fun, but I still don't see the outrageous thrill.

No comments:

Post a Comment