Friday, August 12, 2011

(Import Post) May 2, 2011 - Haus of Gloi

(This is an imported older post from my soap blog.)

Haus of Gloi 
I *love* Haus of Gloi, and I'm not sure I could even tell you why.  When I first started puttering around Etsy this was one of the first soap shops I looked at and it was the first one that really grabbed me.  I just loved everything about it...the look, the names, the style, the 'feel.'  They were featured in an Etsy article, and told their story, and that they'd taken the big step of quitting their regular jobs to make Haus of Gloi their main focus.  They have since closed their Etsy shop and do business through their own website.  An awesome story, one I think every soap maker dreams would happen to them.

And they are Warcraft players.  Doesn't get much cooler than that.

I had ordered from Matt & Britton a while ago but it was not bar soap.  (I'll get into the details of that order later.)  I'm a bit intimidated by this shop...LOL  When they still had their Etsy shop I had tried to contact them on two occasions and did not get a reply either time.  Maybe they were just too busy, they did leave Etsy shortly after.  Whatever the reason, I was a bit put off by it and that kept me from ordering for a while.  I'm also a bit intimidated because this is a shop that doesn't cater to what's popular.  They don't have the simple, common scents that are easy to know.  You know, things like Oatmeal, Milk & Honey or Lavender or Vanilla.  They use essential oils.  They make their own blends.  They have things like Satyr, Troika, Vice.

*blank stare*

I don't know what you'd label their style.  Goth?  Medieval?  Nah, I don't know.  But I love it.  Both of my orders so far have been small, and they have both arrived in adorable little plain brown boxes.  I think my first order was wrapped in black tissue paper, but this one was in cool looking beige tissue paper with a green ivy print.  I later noticed this is the same design that is on their little tea stained thank you card.  Is the card a copy of the paper?  Or do they have paper custom printed?  Cool.

Their shipping is not immediate.  I remembered that from my previous order but even so, when this latest order was taking forever to arrive I finally checked the tracking.  It should have been here almost a week before the date I was finally checking.  Ugh!  Definitely not looking forward to contacting them, I did it anyway and was pleasantly surprised to get a very prompt and friendly answer from Matt.  He asked me to wait a couple more days and if it didn't show up he'd work on it.  Well, that mischievous little package did indeed arrive a day or so later and all was good.



Since I was on a soap ordering frenzy recently I made sure to get one bar soap from Haus of Gloi.  I chose Moon Dog after browsing the choices for the longest time.  Described as 'Solar storms erupt: pure cracked coconut, dry sandalwood essence, heated with nutmeg and clove,'  it is definitely sandalwood that you smell.  I don't really get a coconut scent specifically but there is a nice blend of something to keep that sandalwood in check.  It's a nice scent indeed, but a little outside the type I usually prefer.  And that's one of the tricky/fun things about ordering from shops like this, shops that do these unique blends.

The soap came shrink wrapped in plastic.  It's a nice size bar and this particular one has awesome delicate swirls of pale red and blue in a beige base.  This is a very hard, solid bar, not at all like the normal softness that I'm used to in handcrafted soaps.  The lather is fabulous...easy to work up and tons of fluffy, long lasting creamy bubbles.  The scent is not overpowering...you're aware of it but it's not it's not inyerface screaming "Sandalwood in the room!"  I'm happy with Haus of Gloi soap and glad I finally gave it a try.

I also ordered a lotion...a pumpkin butter, as they call them on their site.  I chose the Troika scent and oh.my.gosh.  I am in love with this scent.  Described as 'A trinity of soft milks, almond, oat and coconut, lashed with sweet agave nectar and the ethereal scent of clean white,' it is so sweet but in a soft way, not in a toothache sweet way.  I have absolutely NO idea why, but this scent reminds me of my mother.  ?!?!  The product itself has one downfall...it absorbs TOO quickly.  You're wondering why that is bad?  Well in general it's not, because you want your lotions to absorb and not leave you greasy, but this one seems to work so fast that you don't get a lot of spreadability.  It's not that it's too thick, definitely not.  It's a great consistency on the thick but fluffy side.  I just find that I have to use a lot to get the coverage that I'm used to.  It works like a dream though!  I would (and will) definitely order again.  The scent remains for a good long time but it's in a very nice sort of subtle way.  Those close to you will detect it, but you won't be announcing yourself to those across the room.  It's like a snuggly scent...hehe.  And Haus of Gloi lotions/butters are made from scratch, not pre-made bases.  I like that.

Every order receives a tiny sample vial of Haus of Gloi perfume oil.  This time I got Honeysuckle Lemon Curd, described as 'Rich and lemony with a touch of fresh honeysuckle.'  A very pretty scent, pulled away from being floral by the peppy lemon.  Very nice.  I have not actually used this yet, and now that I think about it I think I threw my sample from the previous order away because I wasn't into perfume oils at that time.  *kicks self*  Since ordering perfume from one of the shops previously mentioned though, I'm at least willing to try them now.

I can't find any pic or old blog post about my previous Haus of Gloi order but I had ordered a peppermint cocoa scented 'bubbling scrub' (whipped cream soap) that I absolutely loved, and a 'body emulsion' (lotion) in Vice scent.  Vice is described as '
fresh made Turkish coffee, marshmallow goo tainted by graham cracker crumbs, toasted hazelnuts and blanketed in black chocolate.'  You really get the coffee in this scent, with all the ooey gooey sweetness just behind it.  I still have some of this lotion because I've been trying to work through so many others, so I have it right here to try, to refresh my memory.  The scent is strong, not subtle like Troika.  This lotion is a squeeze bottle consistency, light and quickly absorbing.  Very nice.  And the perfume oil sample I had gotten in this order was Satyr, 'Italian blood orange drizzled with blackened vanilla.'  I really don't remember the scent, but from the description I think I will try this in some other form in a future order.

Haus of Gloi . . . a highly respected bath and body company, a very cool company, and one that I'm just drawn to.  Definitely check them out!!


Haus of Gloi . . . WEBSITE.
Haus of Gloi . . . BLOG.
Haus of Gloi . . . FACEBOOK.

No comments:

Post a Comment