Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Sept 21 - More Soapie Treats

Donna, soap maker at Valhalla Soaps, had a little contest on YouTube recently and I was one of three winners.  I've ordered from Valhalla once before and always knew I'd order again eventually, so this seemed like a good time since she'd be sending me my prize anyway.

This was my prize.  Donna calls them funky cupcakes or something like that, because they are the leftovers piped into cupcake molds, making them less than perfect.  I don't care, heck, it's a cupcake, and it smells good, and it was free.  Yay!

Polly Good Witch scent is a mix of fruits and woods and musk, and description on the site is so cute.  Click the link above to read it, and check out the rest of the site while you're there.  I love Valhalla's style or theme or inspiration or whatever you want to call it.  Anyway, what you smell is quite an equal mix of the fruit, wood, musk notes.  Your immediate reaction is 'Oh, fruity,' but it's quickly pulled away from straight up sweet summer fruit to something more sophisticated.  I like it.


Norseman
When I saw the video for this one on YouTube . . . actually just seeing the NAME of the video . . . I knew I had to get this one for hubby.  I don't see it on the website but in the video it's described as a blend of cedar, balsam fir, juniper, clove, and blood orange.  I'd left a comment on the video saying that I thought hubby would be all over this because he's all about Norse and Vikings.  Little did I know that Donna was now holding a bar of this for me, intending to surprise me.  I sort of ruined that surprise when I won the cupcake and messaged her that I wanted to order some others to go in the same shipment, Norseman being one of them.  When she replied that she'd already been planning to send me one I was floored.  OMGosh! 
My first impression of this scent was not favorable.  It was like overpowering resinous wood and nothing else.  Hubby has been sick with a man-cold (you know, on death's door and all *rolls eyes*) so he couldn't really smell anything, said he picked up a bit of woodsy scent and kinda liked it.  He did get a kick out of the name though, and thought the bar itself looked really cool, and was glad he had a manly soap now instead of all my sweet, seasonal, pretty soaps.  Now that the soap has had time to sit on it's own and get some air, I like the scent a lot more.  It's still very woodsy but I get the sweet and spicy notes of the blood orange and the clove now.  I do quite like it.  It's along the lines of FuturePrimitive type scents, and that makes sense because they are both out of the ordinary, essential oil, custom blends shops.


So I'd won the cupcake, and I was getting a free 'surprise' bar of Norseman, but I still felt like I had to order something.  Browsing the site, I kept coming back to this because of the visual appeal.  The scent description was intriguing as well, 'Dark aged honey mingles with sweet wild blackberries, spiced just right with warming cassis, nutmeg, tangy orange zest and fresh green sage leaves and herbaceous red clover.'  Hubby and I were both oohing and aahing over this one when I took it out of the package.  I just looks so cool!  Oh, and there is scent to it too but did I mention how cool it looks??  When you finally get around to smelling it you are treated to softly spiced fruits.  It's one of those complex blends again, deep and unique.  Do NOT think of simple, recognizable fruity scents because it most definitely is not.  Very nice.  Oh and by the way, doesn't that just LOOK awesome??

I would have ordered a lot more from Valhalla if I didn't already have my cabinet, attic, trunk of my car, and two rented storage units filled with soap and bath products.  And since these are not particularly seasonal I will bump them down the usage line until I work through my pumpkin and fall scents.  But Valhalla is absolutely a shop I will order from again.

11 comments:

  1. Even though this is one of her less than perfect leftovers, it really does still look nice. And smells great too!

    Thanks for reading. :)

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cupcake is really cool.

    And yeah, the Murrey Mead is cool-looking. Why didn't you say so?

    "if I didn't already have my cabinet, attic, trunk of my car, and two rented storage units filled with soap and bath products." Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crap, I thought I had mentioned how cool looking it was. Guess I should be me thorough.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to mention I really like the look of their logo, with the raven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb,
    Thanks so much for the nice blog post. I'm sorry that you didn't like the Norseman as much as we had hoped. It is a very woodsy, manly scent. But I'm glad that you did like the Phunky Cupcake and the Murrey Mead. I still have a little sliver of your oatmeal soap and I just love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Donna!

    Thanks for stopping by. So exciting to hear you guys have your own brick-n-mortar shop now. Good luck!!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. This weekend I was using the Bergamot Tarragon sample you sent me and liking the feel of the lather. I'm pretty sure by now Norseman has gone elsewhere but if not let me know, I didn't realize it was an EO soap. Or maybe I'll just have to order finally. ;)

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Norseman is gone. I don't remember if it went as a gift or in a swap or what. Valhalla is having a contest right now. At least I think it's still going. It's something about naming a new soap. I didn't pay much attention this time around. :(

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish I had a knack for those naming contests. Donna has a hot process soap that sounds yummy, Rice Milk & Honey.

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went back and entered the contest yesterday. I hadn't planned on it but once I was there it was like ah what the heck.

    I noticed that soap! Guess I know what I'm getting with my gift certificate when I win that contest. LOL

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete