Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sept. 3 - Tarts!


My name is Deb and I'm a tartaholic.

There are several older posts here at this blog about Country Home Scents, the awesome tart shop I'd found on Etsy waaaaaaay back in my early Etsy days.  They had super cute and super strongly scented wax tarts.  I'd ordered from them many times.  And then they closed their shop.  While they still sold to some of their regular customers (including me) privately . . . a monthly newsletter, and you emailed them what you wanted to order . . . it just wasn't the same.  I strayed away from them, found cheaper alternatives, wandered back to store bought tarts.

Imagine my surprise when, earlier this week, I received an email announcing the new Country Home Scents website!  Whaaaaaaaaat???  I went screaming across cyberspace to check this out and was absolutely thrilled that we could once again order online.  And just in time for fall scents!!

I don't know why it's so different to order from a site where you can actually see the tarts, browse, read the descriptions.  I mean, they are the same tarts as what they were selling privately.  It just seems so much more fun this way.  

One thing they still don't have is the option to order individual tarts.  Back when I first started ordering from them on Etsy I'm pretty sure you could.  There must be reason why they've moved away from this option, not cost effective, not worth the shipping price . . . ?  Not sure.  What you can do though, is order sampler packs in different sizes.  The smallest is six tarts, then I think it goes 12, 24, and 48 packs.  You can mix and match your scents anyway you choose.

They used to have themed sampler packs . . . like a bakery pack, and a chocolate pack.  I'm not sure if they still do.  I don't remember seeing them on the new site.

One new thing they DO have is that they include free samples now.  YAY!!!  This is something I'd always wished they'd had back when I was ordering, and now they do.  The sample tarts are smaller and uncolored, but they serve their purpose in letting you try other scents.  I don't think you can choose your sample scents.  Maybe if you were to email and ask for something in particular they would oblige, but it's almost more fun to just see which random scent you'll get.

Another thing I noticed on the new site is you can now order custom scent blends.  I'm not quite sure how that works but it's something that sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

So yeah, I pretty much immediately placed an order that night I got the email announcement.  That was Wednesday night, and this morning (Saturday) I received my tarts.  Super fast shipping!!

And what did I get?
First in my six pack sampler were these two small freebie tarts.  One is Butterscotch Brulee, which I've had before and absolutely love, and the other is German Chocolate Cake, and it smells divine.  You can even pick up the hints of coconut in the scent!

Pumpkin Pie Spice
'A tasty mix of pumpkin, cinnamon, and spices!'
This one is very pumpkiny.  It's not as sweet as the popular Sweet Pumpkin Spice that goes around the soap community, and it's not as spicy as the Pumpkin Spice scent I mentioned in the Moeggenborg haul the other night.  This one is a lot of pumpkin, a bit of spice, and hints of the pie crust.  Very yummy.

 Pumpkin Crunch Cake
'The aroma of creamy pumpkin pie filling with freshly baked yellow cake, melted butter, pecans, and a hint of spice.'
This one still has a strong pumpkin scent, still has the spice, but is sweeter than the previous one.  You do get a bit of the cake scent, but it's not like an overly sweet bakery type.  I love this one.  And look at that cute little sticker decoration in the middle.  These ladies like to pretty up their little tart babies.

 Pumpkins and Pralines
 'A yummy blend of creamy pumpkin and nutty pralines. A unique combination of confections!'
I don't get a lot of pumpkin in this one but it's a darn nice scent anyway.  You first smell the warm, sweet, creamy praline and then detect the pumpkin lingering somewhere in the background.  This is a good scent for any time of year if you're bakery fan, but the two previous pumpkins are more fall-like.

 Gingerbread House
 'Smells of warm gingerbread with vanilla frosting, cinnamon sticks, graham crackers, and juicy raisins!'
I've had this one before and there is a reason I keep ordering it.  I love it!  It's cozy and warm, spicy but sweet, and makes you think of baking yummy treats on cold winter days.


Frosted Cranberry
'A fragrant blend of rich cranberries and warm sweet spices!' 
This one is new to me but WOW . . . this will probably be one of my new fall favorites.  The very first thing you detect is the tart sweetness of the cranberries but it's quickly toned down and warmed up by the hints of spice.  This will definitely be a nice change of pace from the warm and cozy sweetness of the bakery scents, but still keep a fall type feel.  Very nice!

 Witches Brew 
'A haunting scent for this Halloween!  Aromas of spices and herbs, with a hint of musk and maybe a few frog legs too!' 
This one is new to Country Home Scents.  Part of the reason I ordered it is because of how cute it is with that spider on it.  (I think it's a plastic ring embedded into the wax.)  I wasn't too sure going by the description but I'm on the hunt for a *Halloween* scent so I thought I'd give it a try.  It is awful dang cute but I'm not overly fond of this scent.  I really don't even know how to describe it.  The first thing is a sort of sharp, spicy note . . . like pepper almost.  Then there is something I can't quite pinpoint.  I have Chai Tea lotion sitting here and something about the tart scent reminds me of that, so made the herbal part of the description is tea?  It's not a horrible scent, just not the type I prefer and it doesn't speak "Halloween" to me.  Maybe when I actually melt it, the scent will bloom into something more spectacular.  

So that is my happy little Welcome Back, Country Home Scents order.  I can't wait to get closer to November to start burning these pumpkin scents.  And also to order some winter/Christmas scents!

(I don't know why my fonts are all funky in this post.  I tried numerous times to change them.)

3 comments:

  1. "I went screaming across cyberspace"

    LOL!!!

    The tarts sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sniffing all the BH&G tarts at Walmart this morning. They have their fall scents out now. Then I remembered I had ordered these. Doh!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, whoops!

    I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete