Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Oct. 12 - Wood Wick Candle

I first heard about wooden wick candles some time ago but just haven't seen any available around me.  A few shops on Etsy sell them but the price seemed so high.  I emailed Candles By Victoria, asking if they ever did any, and was told they tried them long ago but feel they are unsafe and no longer offer them.  I noticed some in an LTD Commodities catalog and marked the page but just never ordered.  And then finally one day I saw some at Walmart, in fall scents no less!  I grabbed one immediately.

I'm almost always disappointed in candles because I just can't smell them unless my face is practically shoved right into it.  That's why I prefer tarts, the throw being so much stronger.  Candles By Victoria has been the exception so far.  I can always smell candles from them, usually throughout the whole dang house.  Woot!  So, buying this wood wick cheapie candle from Walmart, I didn't have high expectations but I was ok with that because it was the wick I was curious about.  I'd heard they make a quiet cackling sound, just like real logs on a fire.

We burned this candle for the first time a couple nights ago.  It's in Pumpkin Pie scent, and it's orange, very appropriate for mid-October.  I didn't notice the crackling sound right away but Minion did.  He was drawn to it like a moth to a light.  He was fascinated.  He stayed back because of the heat but he sat there and studied, tipping his head and listening for a long time.  Once I finally noticed the sound I thought it was so cool.  We all got a kick out of it.

There is a slightly larger flame in this candle.  Makes sense because the wick itself is so much bigger.  But it never gets huge or out of control.  We saw no bits of floating cinders or anything.  The candle burns beautiful, even and steady, with that soft crackling sound.  And I was even pleasantly surprised to find that I could actually smell it throughout our large living room and even into the dining room!  It's not overpowering, and it took someone walking by (stirring up the air) for me to first notice it but it was lovely after that, just enough to know it was there.

This is an eight ounce Wonderful Wick brand jar candle, and was somewhere around $8.00 at Walmart.  It was a nice little find, and an affordable alternative to the common high priced big name brands.

(UPDATE - Oct. 17 - I was just at Walmart and noticed the small size that I have is $5.92 and there is a larger size that costs $8.92.  They were on an end display and there were six or seven scents that I saw.)

If you've tried wooden wick candles, I'd love to hear what you thought of them.

21 comments:

  1. First knew about them through Brenda. I have one (WoodWick brand) and I LOVE IT. Plan to get another one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOhhh, I will have to look for this..I want a candle this month..sad... I know I have the Scentsy but I loved having candles lit on the stove while cleaning at the Farmhouse in OH and just missing it this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheri ~ Yeah, it was you telling me about it that I first heard about these. I would probably buy these again but I want to use up the other candles that have been accumulating (like soap, ha) first.

    Heather ~ Oooh, guess I know what to send if we still want to do that swap! hehe

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow I'm so new to the candle world so it's so interesting to see something really different :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snowblume ~ We've really been enjoying this one. We came across more wooden wick candles in a different store today, almost grabbed one, but decided to use of some of what we already have first.

    How is it going for you with your tart exploration?

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought one yesterday! The same one actually except mine is the bigger size (about $10). I was using the WoodWick brand before ($18). I just lit my new candle today and noticed that it is quieter than the WoodWick-not a bad thing. The scent from the burning candle is not overpowering either. I really like these compared to the WoodWick - and definitely like that it's much cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. shpatel2 ~ Hello! I was just at Walmart and saw a ton of these candles on an end display. I guess I was wrong about the price in my original post because today I saw the small ones are $5.92 and the bigger ones are $8.92, or something like that. It was hard resisting the urge to grab a bunch of them!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deb :)
    In my attempt to search the internet to find out approximately how many hours these candles burn, I came across your post. When I first saw the price in your original post, I just assumed that prices in your area were higher than where I'm from.. It's been almost 2 hours since I've had this candle burning, and I have to say that I am craving a pumpkin pie like no other-this being the only thing I don't like about it. This candle smells great but you will find yourself baking a pie to satisfy your new urge!
    Also, now that I've had time to listen to the crackling, I have to say that the WoodWick candles are definitely louder...ultimately it just depends on if you like the loud crackling or subtle. I am undecided :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I don't think I'd like anything louder than this. Well, we have it burning in the living room while watching TV. I guess if you were soaking in the tub, or staring dreamily into a loved one's eyes the louder crackle might be very atmospheric. Hehee!

    Cool that my blog shows up in searches. I guess proper use of tags really does help. In my early blogging days I thought tags were stupid and didn't bother with them. Doh!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad to read your post because I believed that I had picked up a "Wonderful Wick" candle at WalMart a couple of weeks ago but when I went back to get another I was told that they didnt carry them. I then began to wonder if I had purchased it somewhere else but I was absolutely certain that I had not. I am relieved but still cannot seem to find another one at my WalMart in Mineola, TX. I am going to print out this article and take it with me to the store!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in Wisconsin and the Walmart I go to has a BUNCH of these now, in two sizes and several scents. Try looking in the seasonal section AND in the regular candle section. My store currently has them on display at the end of the candle aisle.

    Good luck!
    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deb - Thanks. I am going to WalMart right now and taking a copy of this blog with me to prove that I am not the only one that found them at a WalMart. I hope I find them!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I went back to WalMart to get another Wonderful Wick candle and employees there told me they have never heard of them. I went to 4 different WalMarts in Texas and did not find a trace of a Wonderful Wick Candle even though I bought one there a month ago. It remains a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is weird because every time I go into my Walmart, there they are. I think they even have some holiday scents now.

    Weird.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these candles but I can not find them anywhere, not even the walmart store that I bought the ones I have. does anyone know of a site that I could order them from?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I feel bad for you folks that can't find these anymore, because they are STILL at my Walmart store here in Wisconsin.

    Anonymous - I tried to find a website but couldn't come up with anything. There isn't even anything listed on the candle itself. The only thing it says on the bottom label is 'MVP Group.' I've found the website for that, and have just sent them a message. I will let you know what they say, if they reply.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok, now these are gone from my Walmart. I don't know how long they've been gone but they've been replaced with some 'aroma beads' candle. This looks interesting and I might have to get one just to see what it's like.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've seen these candles pop up at Big Lots in my area (California). Worth a try to check out your Big Lots stores to see if you can find them there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, thanks. I don't have a Big Lots in my area but maybe this helps someone else who is looking. :)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  19. Not sure if anyone is still looking for them, but they've changed their name to Eco Wix. I recently bought one from my local walmart, in Marietta, GA. It's still labeled as wonderful wick. I tried looking for more online, since the store did not carry any more of the scent I wanted. My research shows that there are several names for it, regardless that it's the exact same thing, as in the jar and label design. But unfortunately, I still can't find my scent online. On the other hand, some of the basic scents like pumpkin and apple can be bought online for ~ $9.95. Hope this helps if anyone still needs it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thanks for this information. I've seen the Eco Wix and have wondered if they were the same. I've even seen them in the LTD Commondities catalog. ( http://www.ltdcommodities.com/browse/?Ntt=eco+wix&_requestid=1393300 )

      What scent is it you're looking for?

      ~Deb

      Delete