Friday, October 21, 2011

Oct. 21 - Bridesmaids (movie)

Bridesmaids
(2011)
Named her best friend's maid of honor, down-on-her-luck Annie's competition with a fellow bridesmaid, the wealthy and beautiful Helen, threatens to destroy the wedding. Meanwhile, a local cop takes a liking to Annie.

We watched this last night, finally.  I hate that Netflix is so far behind now.  Anyway, I had heard that this was like a female version of The Hangover and I thought there would be a lot more crazy hilarity but in the end, I don't really see the comparison.  I did like the movie, but it was different than what I'd thought it was going to be.

I love Kristen Wiig.  Early on in the movie I could almost relate to her character . . . I feel out of place and lacking almost every day of my life!  As the movie went on though, I found I really wasn't liking her anymore.  The whole tail light thing was driving me nuts because I know people like that.  Those who do nothing to help themselves, whine about how life craps on them.  Really?  Maybe you can't fix everything in your life but getting the small things (tail lights) taken care of is at least something you can do, at least it's a start, an effort.  The significance I got from that is probably not what the movie intended but *grrr* it was pissing me off.

Ok, back to the point.  Annie was bothering me as the movie went on, and I just wasn't liking her anymore.  I was so mad and disgusted with her for always going back to that dickweed guy, especially when her car was being towed and she called him.  Officer Rhodes' reaction to that was perfect.  The look he gave that guy, and then her, perfect.  I was glad she at least eventually got out of the car.  And I love love LOVED when Megan showed up and literally smacked some sense into her.  We all need someone like that now and then, and what she said was so sooo true.  I was cheering her on in that scene even though the rest of the movie she usually had me cringing . . . LOL

I loved Officer Rhodes!  He was so cute and sweet and . . . good.  He was too good for her!  I really liked how his whole part was played, his being smitten with her ("I was kinda thinking about you a little bit lately," or however he said it), his confusion when she left and following that, and his refusal to give in when she tried to come crawling back.  I'm still not sure I like them being together in the end because I just love him and I feel she'll have a tendencies to run or hurt him again.
So yeah, I liked this movie and will probably buy it.  There were parts when we were laughing hysterically, and there were parts where I was crying.  And those life lessons from Megan and Officer CuteGuy couldn't be beat.  I'm glad we finally watched this! 

Have you seen it?  What did you think?

4 comments:

  1. I loved it and I loved Annie all the way through. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention the disturbing extra bit during the end credits, the home video of Megan and the air marshal and the sandwich.

    LOL!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!! Loved those two, and that was hilariously disturbing.

    "That's a very nice bear sandwich."

    ReplyDelete