Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Oct. 26 - Beguile

Back at the beginning of October, after my frustrating and disappointing first encounter with Haunt, I had a fit of 'Well if I can't get that one I'm going to try this one!' and revisited the Beguile website, a site I've browsed many times but never really thought I'd order from.  Although I absolutely love the look and style of Beguile, it is an Australian shop and in my mind, why should I order from someone I'm never going to make a regular?  That's not fair though because I've ordered several times now from FuturePrimitive and that is a UK shop.  (And neither of those is keeping with my former 'Keep it local' mentality, hehe.)

As I said, after my failed attempt with the other shop I wanted to get something special so Beguile it was.  I really don't know how I ever came to know of this shop.  I can't find any YouTube videos because if you type in 'beguile' you will get ten million videos for anything and everything and I'm not sifting through them.  Perhaps they used to have an Etsy shop?  I don't know, and I guess it doesn't matter anyway.  I've had my eye on this shop for a while and now I finally have some.

Coming from Australia, shipping was pricey and took extra long.  I ordered on Oct. 2 and it finally got here yesterday, Oct. 25.  I was prepared for that though.  When I saw the package yesterday I was so dang excited . . .
My order came in this brown paper gift bag (folded over) with this gorgeous fall/Halloween orange ribbon tied around it.  This arrived, not in a box or envelope but just heavily wrapped in bubble wrap with the shipping labels applied all over it.  It was wrapped and taped very securely.  I thought that was clever!

Inside was some purple tissue paper to complete the Halloween feel, and small paper note.  I ordered three bars and she included two samples.  Woohoo!  You know how I love samples!  The packaging appears simple, like many other soaps I've had in cello bags, but when I started to unwrap them I found this was not the usual thin cello bag I'm used to.  This was a heavier, more plastic type bag and I noticed on their website it is a 'biodegradable clear wrap.'  Well that's cool.  And there is a nice color coordinating glossy tag on each bar that tells the ingredients and a snippet about the company.  Very nice.

There are plenty of scents to choose from at Beguile, but not so many that it's overwhelming.  I like that.  And once again, you won't find the typical names and scents here.  There are names like Flirt and Cherish and Sinful, and there are scent blends that, even with the description, you're not sure quite what they will be.  As I've said in the past, I'm all for the simple and recognizable scents but sometimes it's just more fun to get something you're not quite sure of.

(Apologies for the funky lighting in these pictures.  I was so excited to get the package that I whipped out my camera and lighting at that time of day was not cooperating.)


Honey
I love honey and oatmeal soaps so I was drawn to this one.  While there is no milk or fragrance oil to make it my beloved Oatmeal, Milk & Honey, this one does contain real honey and real ground oatmeal.  It has no scent added but there is still a very nice, light scent, sort of a sweet floral from the Australian Ironbark honey.  It has a dusting of ground oatmeal on top.  I love the size of these bars!  They are the perfect size for your hand, and look at the top . . . big, soft peaks and swirls that remind me of the ocean and make a wonderful spot for your fingers to grip.  These bars are HARD too, while still keeping a creamy to the touch feel.  I can't wait to actually use them!


Milk
Of course I had to get the one goat milk soap I saw on the site.  Another unscented one, it's a beautiful two tone cream colored bar with more of those big, lazy swirls.  There is still that soft and slightly sweet or floral scent that comes from the ingredients.  I'm happy I went with unscented soaps because I have tons of scented lotions that I'll be working through soon and it will be nice to not have to worry about the soap scent clashing.  The site says this soap has 'a sprinkling of jasmine flowers' and the pic on the site shows some on top of the soap but I don't see any on or in mine.  I do wonder though if the bit of scent I detect is from a jasmine infusion perhaps . . . ?  Again, can't wait to use this one!


Ritual
I wanted to get a fun one as long as I was finally there and splurging.  All of the soaps are beautiful but this one really intrigued me.  Described as 'Heady, rich notes of vanilla and caramel combined with fresh Pink Grapefruit essential oil forms a unique, sensual scent,' it also has coffee listed in the ingedients.  I love this one, that simple but elegant dark line, and a sprinkling of something that looks like cinnamon on top . . . love it.  The scent on this one is light once again, and is mainly that clean sort of soapy smell but you also detect something else there.  If you didn't know there was grapefruit in it I don't think you'd ever be able to pick it out, and I don't get any distinct vanilla or caramel, but all together you do get hints of a sweetness.  I can't wait to use it and see if the scent will bloom.  Even if it doesn't, it's still very nice.

Infuse and Flirt
The sample on the left is called Infuse and is a lemongrass/green tea scent.  You definitely get the lemongrass in this one and it's quite strong.  There are speckles throughout the soap and something on top, either the ground lemongrass or the green tea, or both.  The one on the right is Flirt and is so cute with it's reddish pink swirl.  The look of this would be perfect for a candy cane scented soap but Flirt is a fruity mix of lime, raspberries, and apple blossoms, with a touch of vanilla.  I can't pick out any one fruit in particular and I can't tell specifically that it's vanilla in there but you can tell something is softening the tartness of the fruit.  This one is almost perfumey, nice and somewhat sweet.

Beguile also has sugar scrubs, herbal balms, and body oils, and they even have wax tarts.  Yay!  When the price is converted to US dollars it is very comparable to other shops I've been ordering from, and the bars I received are all just under 5oz.  I'm very glad I finally ordered from them, and will probably order every now and then just to treat myself.  If you are a handcrafted soap junkie like I am, definitely check this one out!

If you've tried Beguile I'd love to hear about it.  If you know of any YouTube video hauls or reviews, or blog posts, direct me to them.  I'm very curious about what others have to say.

Beguile . . . WEBSITE
Beguile . . . BLOG
Beguile . . . FACEBOOK

8 comments:

  1. The lighting looks quite cool in the pics.

    That milk one looks lovely! Love the swirls on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks on the lighting. I don't use flash, just rely on natural lighting in the laundry room because it's the brightest room and doesn't seem to leave a yellow hue in pics. I also like to use whatever colored packing paper comes with the packages.

    I know, I love the look of Beguile's bars! I really want to try them but I've bumped them down the list for now until after I get through some of my seasonal soaps.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb,
    In case you are interested, here is another blog which reviewed Kathy's soaps last year.
    http://www.bloglovin.com/m/aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRmNvY29ib25nc29hcHMuYmxvZ3Nwb3QuY29tJTJG

    Cheers, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, Cocobong. I used to follow that blog when I was still making soap.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you gotten around to trying the Beguile soaps yet? Would love to know what you think of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, 'chickadee'!

    I have not tried them yet, but I will try to remember to pop one in the shower this week and give it a try. :)

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay :)

    Does Infuse, the lemongrass one, smell at all unpleasant? I've just bought a bar from another shop with a lemongrass + bergamot (and other oils) blend and...uh...let's just say I won't be popping that one in my shower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have it handy at the moment to give it a sniff, but since I'm not a lemongrass fan to begin with my opinion might be tainted. LOL

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete