Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Nov. 1 - Candles By Victoria Tarts Haul

I've only had two small CBV orders before this and part of what's held me back is trying to decide what to get. There are soooo many scents! Then I discovered the scent shot samplers, with random scents chosen for me, and thought this would be a great way to get to know some scents!

I ordered a Christmas scents sampler, a Bakery scents sampler, and a House Blends sampler. I'm going to go over them briefly but I can't really break them into groups because either there was a mix up or the House Blends category is huge and crosses over into other categories. These are cold throw opinions since I just received my package and haven't melted any yet.


Holiday Homebrew ~ (A blend of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Clove with a dash of Warm Vanilla.) Definitely cinnamon. Vanilla softens it but I don't pick up a vanilla scent specifically. There is almost a musky note to it. Nice, I like it.

Christmas Apple Cider Snap ~ (A strong, spicy cider with cinnamon red hots. Doesn't have that "fake" cinnamon smell.) I would almost call this a straight up cinnamon. Similar to the Homebrew one but without that extra bit of whatever.


Warm Christmas Splendor ~ (Cinnamon, Spice, Nutmeg, Vanilla and Peppermint blend together to bring you this amazing Christmas fragrance.) Oh this one is NICE! It's like a near perfect Christmas scent. I think the peppermint/vanilla blend outweigh the cinnamon but you still pick up its spiciness. Very, very nice!

Christmas Cabin ~ (A blend of bayberries and cranberries with a top note of freshly crushed cinnamon bark with hints of orange zests.) This one has the berries just beating out the cinnamon. It doesn't have the sharpness of the previously mentioned ones. It's more of a soft, slightly sweet holiday scent, sort of the toned down feel after the chaos of Christmas day slips into evening . . . if that makes any sense. LOL

Victorian Christmas ~ (A Christmas blend of cinnamon bark and leaves with fir needles and pine enhanced by clove buds.) The pine and the cinnamon do battle at the forefront here, with pine slightly winning. At first I did not like this, but then it started to remind me of something definitely Christmas but I can't think of what. Maybe like the mix of Christmas smells in large stores?

Christmas Memories ~ (A house blend of Sugared Spruce, Cranberry and Spiced Oranges. A wonderful holiday mix!!) Sort of a lighter scent, it's hard to describe. I want to say the cranberry is the main thing you smell but it seems more complex than that. Not a favorite.

Charlie Brown Christmas ~ (Name that Scent winner. A wonderful holiday fragrance with top notes of Brazilian orange, bergamot, and bread with cinnamon, nutmeg, and lily of the valley on a base of vanilla and raspberry.) This one is VERY interesting. You definitely get a bit of a bakery note, I thought of raisin bread before reading the actual description, but then you get the orange and raspberry chasing around, some light cinnamon, and the vanilla taming it all a bit. I like it!

Sugared Spruce ~ (A most unique scent that combines sweetness and greenery. If you are looking for something a little different this is the one.) Definitely different. I really don't know how to describe this one! I want to say pine, or outdoorsy but yeah, there is a sort of sweetness mixed in. Very hard to describe, and I've been sniffing it so much trying to figure it out that I need to just move on.

Banana Pancake ~ (Comfort food at it's finest wrapped up in one amazing candle fragrance!) I just watched someone's video the other day who had won this scent, and laughed a bit when I pulled this out of the box. She was right though, I would probably never have picked this but it's actually a fabulous scent. You get the buttery pancakes right away and the yummy banana is lurking just under that. Love this one!

Banana Brown Sugar Drizzle ~ (banana, brown sugar with a hint of crème Brulee.) I would never guess banana if I didn't know it was in here but yeah, there is a slight fruitiness behind that warm sugary bakery note. This is nice for this time of year, warm and cozy.

Caramelized Pralines ~ (This is a yummy rich scent. Rich delicious caramel and fresh roasted pralines.) I can never remember what pralines actually are but this scent is warm and ooey gooey good. It's caramely and almost nutty. Yum!

Orange Chiffon Cake ~ (This creamy rich fragrance will make you lick your lips and want to bake a cake!! Orange lovers this is a must have for you!! Outstanding fragrance!!) Absolutely reminds me of orange Kool Aid. It's immediately a bright, fun scent with just hints of the cakey bakery note in the back.

Hawaiian Hula Muffin ~ (Pineapple, Buttercream Crunch, Caramel and cookie.) We had this in candle form and absolutely loved it. I was so happy to see this in my order! You first get the warm caramel and buttercream bakery notes but the pineapple is right there to brighten it up, adding just a bit of fruity sweetness. Love this one!

Marshmallow Banana Dream Cake ~ (Rich Vanilla Cream, Marshmallow, Banana and a yellow cake.. what's not to love.) This one smells like Playdoh. I don't know any other way to describe it. I don't like this one and can't pick out anything specific in it. Maybe it will be different when I melt it?

Orange Almond Lace Cookie ~ (Orange, Almond, cookie, cake.) It's called 'cookie' on the site but 'cake' on the label. I'm not fond of this one either. There is the almond cookie scent, with just a bit of orange lurking way down deep.

Spiced Apple Pie ~ (Bring back memories of Grandma's home baked apple pies. If you like Home Interiors Hot Apple Pie you will love this one even more!) Oh yes, perfect for this time of year! Near perfect apple pie scent, strong on the apple note but with enough buttery crust and hints of spice to keep it from being straight fruit. Close your eyes and you'll easily imagine the warm pie being set before you.

Apple Cinnamon Butter ~ (Rich warm cinnamon with bakery notes of Apple Butter just like Grandma used to make. This is one yummy fragrance that will transport you back in time.) Yummy! An equal blend of apples and warm, buttery goodness with a hint of spice. Very different from the apple pie one though!

Pumpkin Apple Cinnamon Bread ~ (Sweet creamy pumpkin, rich cinnamon apple with a crunchy strudel base note.) I was so excited to pull this one out of the box, being pumpkin and being fall holiday time. There is some soft spiciness, and the hint of apple in the pumpkin note, and then it's all wrapped in a slight warm bread note. Quite nice.

Raspberry Rainbow ~ (Take an escape everyday with this refreshingly-familiar scent of raspberry, fresh squeezed oranges, strawberries and bananas.) I think the raspberries and strawberries are what I smell first and foremost, but then there is something candy-like about it. I don't know what it is, maybe like Lifesavers? Probably good for summer, but this is not a favorite for me.

Caribbean Coconut ~ (One of the summer trio introduced at Bath & Body Works this spring/summer. A tropical citrus delight beginning with mango, nectarine, banana and scrumptious grapefruit. The middle notes blend blackberry and coconut with island lilies and watery ferns. The dry down is sweet vanilla and musk.) I love coconut scents and I love this one. You absolutely know it's coconut, and you get that nice vanilla/musk, and all the other things play softly in the background. I love this, but my hubby hates coconut scents, so my dreams of large candles of this are dashed.

Spellbound ~ (When you think of fun you think of Cotton Candy! We have taken the aroma of sweet, fresh spun cotton candy and combined with fresh tart granny smith apples to create this super fun and unique fragrance. Spell Bound begins with top notes of tart granny smith apples and creamy butter, followed by a middle note of caramel sauce all sitting on base notes of vanilla, maple and spun sugar!) I don't really like this one. It's like there is too much going on. I think it's perfumey then I pick out hints of apple. I think it's fruity, then I pick out hints of warm and sugary. I would call it a sweet perfume scent.

Cosmopolitan ~ (A combination of Cranberry and Lime.) Interesting! This one is immediately bright and bubbly and fun. It kinda reminds me of Sweetarts. The cranberry is stronger than the lime, but that lime makes it fun. A good summer scent.

Butterscotch Pecan Pie ~ (Dripping in yummy sweetness, this fragrance is one of my new favorites!!) Ooohh yeah, this one is right up my alley. Warm comforting sweetness of butterscotch, almost a mapley note, and hints of pie crust bakery goodness. A warm, cozy scent.

Iris & Fern ~ (Are you drawn to really fresh smelling florals? Sniff this one and you'll easily picture delicate irises blowing in the wind surrounded by fronds of ferns.) I always say I don't like florals but wow, this one is NICE. It immediately brings to mind spring rains, and seeing those first beautiful flowers coming up. It is sort of sweet, and oh so pretty. It makes me think of Easter!

Breath Of Ireland ~ (This fresh, romantic floral is fantastic during the whole year! This fragrance begins with top notes of fresh green clover, and ivy with middle notes of romantic snap dragon, rose petals, and carnations; ending with base notes of white musk and fig leaves.) Another floral that I actually quite like. This has been on my list of possibles to order for hubby, so I was happy to see it in this box. It's definitely more of a green scent than the previous sweet floral one. You get the flowery notes in the middle somewhere but you're first hit with green and then a slight musk note. It's quite nice in a very different way than the Iris one above.

And that is my order. My nose is begging for a break now! LOL
Quite a few that I really like, and a handful that I'll probably pass on to others. This was fun!

4 comments:

  1. Those sound so great. I think I want to do the same kind of order and get a sampler. You describe scents so well, Deb!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a lot of fun doing it this way! I was a little disappointed that 'House Blends' could be something from any group, but on the other hand it might be better that way because you *really* don't know what you'll be getting.

    I might do another sampler order, get some of the other categories. And then when I know what scents hubby and I really like I can go back and get them in larger candle form.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Ellie--love your writing about the scents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I try to make it more informative than a lot of scent reviews I see or hear. You know, the description is 'pine, vanilla, cinnamon' and the reviewer says "Yeah, I smell the pine. I smell vanilla. And yeah, I smell cinnamon." Really? I prefer to know MORE, like which of those is the MAIN scent.

    I try. :)

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete