Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Nov. 9 - BH&G/Walmart Tarts . . . Again

I'm a posting fool today, I know.  But it's my day off and I feel like writing so I'm trying to get these posts all done and out of the way before the crabbiness of my long work days ruin my mood.  Oh yeah, and we're having our first snow storm of the season and it's putting me in a holiday mood.  Heheee!

So, I posted that list of the Better Homes & Gardens tarts holiday scents that can be found at Walmart, and then I went back and bought a bunch of them.  Well it was bothering me that there were some I'd missed and since I had to run back to town for something else today anyway . . . I went and grabbed the rest of the holiday line.  I'm crazy, I know.  I've stopped buying soap, and put that effort into buying tarts now apparently.


I really wish there was a website or someplace that I could get actual scent descriptions of these tarts.  One reason that I didn't post this yesterday was that I had emailed the company (made by well known Scentsationals, from what I can tell) asking about it and was waiting for a reply.  They never answered.  I really hate when companies, large or small, do not respond to emails.  Why offer your addy then?  Even if they had replied just to say they do not offer scent descriptions, that would have been fine.  At least it would have been something.  But no.  So I will have to totally wing it on these . . .

Warm Apple Cider - (tan)  I'm not sure why this is in the Christmas line.  I don't think of apple cider as a winter or Christmas drink.  I'm pretty sure this was also in the fall line, only colored dark red.  Actually, this is one I passed up when I was grabbing holiday tarts yesterday but grabbed it today when I decided to go ahead and get them ALL.  Anyway, it smells like apple cider ... very apple-y and quickly followed up with the slightly spicy and somewhat champagne-y notes.

Spiced Apple Wreath - (light green) I've heard others describe this as straight up apple.  I don't agree.  There is definitely apple, but there something sort of citrus-y and some greenery but I wouldn't call it piney.

Maple Candied Almond - (light brown) Another that I passed up at first because it was just foodie.  I still don't think of Christmas or winter in particular when I smell this but wow, I love it.  (OMG, Ellie, this is right up our ooey gooey caramely alley!)  If I didn't know it was maple I would say it's caramel, but yeah, it is rich and sweet and the almond gives it just enough of that slight cherry hint that almond is known for.  This is a must for any sweet, foodie scent lover!  (Ty just said it smells like the Special K Bars I make every Christmas, and he's right!  YUM!)

Spicy Cinnamon Stick - (burgundy red)  I passed this up the first time too because it's just straight up cinnamon, but after smelling all the cinnamon scented Christmas decorations in other parts of the store I guess, yeah, it does make me think of Christmas.  This is a sharper spiciness than some of the cinnamon scents that resemble the sweeter Red Hots candy smell.

Spiced Sugar Plum - (deep purple) I missed this on my first haul, and it's part of the reason I went back today.  I really wouldn't know a plum smell if one was shoved in my face but since I do smell fruit I'm going to go ahead and say it smells like plums.  LOL  The spice in this is very soft, just something to keep it from being too fruity.

Fresh Frasier Fir - (pine green) Smells like Christmas trees, or a tree lot.  There is perhaps a hint of citrus or spice in there too, or something 'fresh.'

Chocolate Peppermint Truffle - (pale green) LOVE this one!  Mmmm, to die for!  Others have compared it to Bath & Body Works/Slatkin's Mint Chocolate candle and I agree.  It is just like a big bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Snowy Evergreen Forest - (gray) This is a weird one and I really wish I had a scent description as my guide.  I suppose I smell pine trees but it seems there is almost something citrus-y.  Actually, the more I smell it, the more I think this is more of a pine scent than the Frasier one above.

Candied Caramel Pecan - (beige) Another that I first skipped because it just strikes me as foodie, not Christmas-y.  I also originally thought it smelled a lot like the maple one previously mentioned but now I can tell they are very different.  This one is much more of a salty, nutty, slightly sweet caramel scent.  Another super yummy scent but not quite as sweet and fun as the maple one.

Frosty Peppermint Snow - (white) This one screams Christmas to me like none of the others.  If you like Yankee's Jack Frost, you'll love this . . . for a whole lot cheaper!  It is a sweet vanilla/peppermint blend.  A must have for Christmas.

Velvet Poinsettia Blossom - (red) I am not a floral fan and I don't know what Poinsettias smell like but this is a straight floral scent, perhaps a smidge perfumey.

Vanilla Cinnamon Sugar - (brown) Passed on this the first time too, considering it just foodie.  If I didn't know what this was I would never guess there is cinnamon in here.  It's not spicy.  There is some sweetness from sugar and some warmth from vanilla, and I would consider this just a nice, comforting scent.

Frankincense & Myrrh - (grayish gold) When you hear "Frankincense and myrrh," you probably automatically think of Christmas, but just what does it smell like?  I have no idea.  Someone else described this as something like a mens cologne.  I can see that, but I still don't have any idea how to break that down.  I don't smell musk.  It doesn't seem 'earthy.'  I really don't know on this one.  Except for the name, I would never think of this one as Christmas or even wintery.

Creamy Spiced Eggnog - (cream) Another warm, sweet foodie scent.  Other eggnog scents I've smelled have a sort of tangy or sour hint, but this is just sweet and creamy, with only a hint of spiciness.

Vanilla Sugar Cookie - (yellow) Warm and yummy but a lighter scent than most 'heavy' bakery scents.  Just like baking Christmas cookies, or having them all spread out on the kitchen table while you decorate them.  Mmmm.

Ginger Spice Cake - (tan) I've had this one for a while now so I know it was also part of the fall line.  I haven't melted any of this one yet though because I was waiting to use up my pumpkin and apple fall scents, and now I'm glad I didn't get to it because I can now put it in my Christmas lineup.  You will absolutely think of a delicious fresh baked spice cake with yummy vanilla frosting.  Again, not particularly Christmas-y, but a nice warm scent for those cold winter days.

Iced Winter Cranberry - (maroon) Definitely cranberry, but something more.  It's not spicy.  'Iced' in the name makes think there would be hints of mint but I don't really get any.  I don't think it's vanilla but there is definitely something else with those cranberries.

Classic Frosted Gingerbread - (dark brown) A very nice, deep rich gingerbread.  Others have said there is a lot of molasses in this scent, that it's a more 'grownup' scent than a sweet gingerbread house type.  Agreed.

Orange Clove Pomander - (orange-yellow)  I know from the picture on the package this is a popular, old fashioned scent.  It is a very zesty smell, not a sweet orange.  Very zesty but at the same time somewhat soft which makes it tolerable.

Holiday Sleigh Ride - (blue)  Another unique one that I really wish I had a scent description to go by.  It's a fresh, outdoorsy smell . . . some hints of pine in there perhaps, but also traces of floral and sweet.  Very hard to describe without knowing what is really in it.

Sparkling Berry Garland - (light green) I love this as a Christmas scent.  It smells like a mix of Christmas trees and something sweet, possibly citrus-y.  Might even be hints of spice in there.  I think this is the best of the bunch for an all-around Christmas smell.

And that is the complete line that my local Walmart has for this winter/holiday season.  See any you like?  Are there any you've tried?

28 comments:

  1. I haven't tried any of these yet and am hesitant as I'm not sure how easy they would be to remove from my scentsy but I really like some of those pics on the covers..lol..

    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think any wax will remove from any warmer the same way, but I have heard that Scentsy warmers don't get hot enough to melt all waxes, especially if the wax is very hard.

    Walmart has super cute Christmas themed warmers available right along with the tarts. They are $15 and look very similar to what I've seen of Scentsy, Yankee, etc. I also noticed Shopko (do you have those there?) has smaller, slightly different style Christmas warmers for $12.

    OR...you can pick up good ol' cheap one for about $3 and use tea lights as the heat source. That's what I use.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all look so good! The Candied Maple Almond sounds mouthwatering! I just might need to get some of these :) Awesome descriptions as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dying to melt these! Trying to wait until at least the day after Thanksgiving though since I still have some fall scents to use up. I have so many tarts right now I want to burn them constantly! I've even been wasting some, replacing them when I know there is still scent left, just so I can move on to the next new yumminess.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these look and sound fab, Loving the sound of caramel pecan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading your blog and your recommendations! I just had to go to Walmart to check these out :) Our store didn't have as much of a selection as yours but I ended up getting Butterscotch Maple Cream. If it has a good throw I'll be going back for more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that Butterscotch Maple Cream! I have three packs of that in my stash already.

    Did you check in the seasonal aisles, where they have all the Christmas things gifty type things? There is probably a separate section of holiday candles and tarts over there . . . that's where I found mine. And I can still find non-seasonal scents (like the Maple one) over by the regular candles section of the store.

    Thanks for reading! :)
    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Deb,
    I was surprised how good the throw was! There were a lot of the Scentsationals on the shelf below the BHG tarts. I might have to check those also (and I'll look around some more). This past month I was on a kick purchasing home fragrance oils (Yankee Candle, BBW, and Greenleaf) I now have a stash large enough to last a year :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah see, now your Walmart carries the Scentsationals but mine does not. I've heard others say their Walmart has them too. I'm pretty sure the BH&G tarts are made by Scentsationals . . . the customer support addy in the BH&G package is a Scentsationals addy. (But they don't answer their emails, so don't bother.)

    I've never tried the home fragrance oils. I'm leery of them because they stay liquid. I like that with tarts they will harden back up as they cool, and are solid in storage.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah ha.. you are right. I'm sure they are made by Scentationals. The packaging is also identical, with the exception of the label.

    I like oils since they are pure essence and very strong. Instead of waiting for a candle to scent a room, the oil is instant. I also love Solstice Scents -- she makes superb home fragrance oils in unique, gorgeous scents you'd never find in a store.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard a lot about Solstice Scents, and follow her on Facebook, but have not tried anything from there.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. She has a couple perfumes I'm crazy about. I'm not fond of her body butter or soaps though. And like I said, she makes superb home fragrance oils.

    I was going to ask you, have you placed an order from the Yule collection at Haus of Gloi?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not yet. I was looking yesterday but didn't get too involved because I have SOOO much bath and body stuff already, but it IS Haus of Gloi.

    Have you ordered??

    I might end up doing it anyway just like my last FuturePrim order. LOL

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was really excited about their Yule release because of the Hearth soap, which I tried last year and LOVED (i love complex and warm food scents). So yes, I ordered 3 bars of Hearth. I'm also trying out a bar of Three Treasures and body butter in Eggnoggin and Sweet Potato Treat. I tried Snow wolf last year but wasn't crazy about it. I also have SOOO much, but gosh, how can I resist? LOL

    After Solstice Scents and Bodygoodies winter collections arrive I'll be done!! for this year at least :)

    I also ordered some Crema from Savor. In my opinion, it's the best body butter out there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not familiar with Bodygoodies or Savor. Will have to check into those.

    Maybe I'll do a Haus of Gloi order anyway. We always need soap, right? LOL *sneaks back to the Haus* Oh, and I need to continue such purchases so I have things to blog about. Right? Yeah, we'll go with that.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL I like your way of thinking :)

    Bodygoodies is probably the absolute best handmade soap out there. The ingredients are over the top, the best (rhassoul clay, French green clay, moor mud, jojoba oil, shea butter, kokum butter, etc) She only uses pure essential oils, no fragrance oils. They are also pretty pricey but SO worth it! Unfortunately her shipping is a flat rate of $8 so I only purchase from her every year or so, when I can buy enough to justify paying that much shipping. Speaking of shipping, I never did order from Zuma after seeing their shipping rates and how small their bars are! pfft

    I'll be looking forward to your Haus review :))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok, I did it. I just placed a Haus of Gloi order, but I'm keeping it hush hush until I get it on the blog. Hehe!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a bad enabler :) and now I have to wait to see what you selected.. Hehe, is right! :)

    It's been fun chatting with you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Deb.. it's Lynda.
    Just wanted to tell you I've started a blog :) Hope you'll join me there!
    http://soapobsessions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome! I will definitely check it out! I need more blogs to read. :)

    And yes, it was fun chatting the other day. Hopefully we'll do it again.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for being my first follower :) I'll be working on it as time permits (as you can tell it's sort of a blank slate right now).

    Definitely, we'll chat again! I'm also a boring old lady (but I have a feeling I'm the older one!).

    Have a great day, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  22. the frankincense and myrr reminds me of the perfume "angel"

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not familiar with that perfume so I can't say, but I did smell the F&M tarts again and didn't dislike it quite so much. It does remind me of cologne. lol

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  24. So many and 99% sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yeah, there are some in there that I just don't care for. Which ones fall into your 1% of yuck?

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  26. Probably just the f & m. Also not interested in the pointsettia or the tree ones, but that's lack of interest rather than yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was not interested in the poinsettia one either because it's floral, but Kurth picked it the other day and it really wasn't too bad. Would not make me think of Christmas if I didn't know what it was, but it was tolerable for this non-floral person.

    Right now I have the Snowy Evergreen Forest one going and this one is not bad either. Smelling it cold I was kinda like 'Bleah, I'll melt it cuz I bought it,' but it's kinda nice as it warms. Still not overwhelming pine, and I still get that mysterious Christmas note, but it's nice.

    I might bring those I've not used up to Christmas and let whoever wants them just take them so I can clear out those I'm not in love with.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh and the Frankincense & Myrrh is growing on me. I still haven't melted it yet but every time I give it a cold sniff when deciding which to use for the day, I'm always a bit more intrigued by it.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete