Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Nov. 9 - The Caller (movie)

The Caller
(2011)
This spooky thriller tracks the private nightmare of Mary Kee (Rachelle Lefevre), a divorcée who begins receiving strange telephone calls from a woman she doesn't know. After engaging the stranger initially, Mary tries to extricate herself -- with horrific results.

I thought this movie was on my Netflix list because it was one a coworker had told me about but once we started watching it last night I found that wasn't the case.  Now I think it was on my list because the main girl in it is the original Victoria from the Twilight movies.  Regardless, we watched this last night and I was pleasantly surprised.  And confused.

It was the kind of thriller I like because it wasn't over the top Hollywood shock value gore and violence.  There were some violent images but it was quick and 'real.'  (Like, getting stabbed in the leg and seeing blood, not zombies ripping your intestines out while you're still alive and screaming.)   It was mainly spooky in the little things, in the conversations, in the things you weren't sure if you saw or not in the background, and in the wondering 'What the heck is going on?'  It did get into a bit of time travel though, and if you know me you know I *HATE* time travel plots because there are no rules and because I argue to much about it all.  LOL

I was confused by this movie when it was done.  I understood things as they were happening but then in the end hubby and I were left wondering . . . was any of it real?  Again, I understood things as they were happening but at the end I guess I was hoping for something like her waking up in a psychiatric ward or something, something to explain it all.  While I was a bit disappointed that things weren't neatly laid out and explained in the end, I think this might be a movie I will buy.  It's the kind of movie that you want to go back and watch again and see what you might have missed.

Have you seen this one?

2 comments:

  1. I'm such a baby. I like Christmas movies. LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I usually shy away from all the really cheesy ones but I'm feeling an urge to watch even the dorkiest Christmas things this year. I think, in general, I just want to scale back my Christmas chaos and relax and enjoy the season more.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete