Monday, December 26, 2011

Review - Bath & Body Works Sugar Scrub

I received a jar of Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy line sugar scrub for my birthday.  It is in the 'Sensual' line of the Aromatherapy products, which has a black currant/vanilla scent.  The jar is 13oz and is priced at $16.00.

I've been curious about sugar scrubs for a while now, have tried a few from the handcrafted soap shops I've ordered from.  I used to think scrubs were just a waste of a product to get you to buy more things.  Thought they were for high maintenance girlie girls who have to primp and preen.  But after trying the few I have, I think there really is some purpose to scrubs, and I really do think they work.  I get rough dry patches now and then, and have found scrubs really do polish and smooth such spots.

When I saw this jar in my birthday gift, I was super excited.  I didn't even know Bath & Body Works HAD sugar scrubs?!  The scent of this is fantastic . . . which is a good thing because hubby also got me body wash, lotion, and a candle in this scent.  Unfortunately, that was all I liked about this product.

First of all, it is the super liquid-y type of scrub.  I don't like the drier, crumbly scrubs but this is to the other extreme.  You scoop your fingers in and have to hurry it to your body because it's already running out of your hand.  Next, I found the sugar granules too large and too harsh.  They lasted a long time, which is good, but they were so large and hard and rough that it was like grinding your skin away.  I was already finding this experience an unpleasant mess when I was suddenly slipping and sliding all over my tub from the extreme oiliness.  True, it's rather common to have such products make your bathtub slick but others I have used have still been tolerable.  With this one, I was practically hanging on for dear life and moving around as little as possible.  I feared for my life when it came time to step OUT of the tub because I knew the remaining foot would want to go sliding, and it did.  Good thing I was clinging to the towel rack on the back of the bathroom door!

I will admit, my skin was smooth after using this scrub.  However, there was SO much oil.  I had noticed when I was trying to rinse off that there was still such an oily residue all over me, and the tub.  I grabbed my shower pouf and tried to lather up with my current bar of Beguile soap (which lathers like a dream!) and could barely get anything.  While drying off I couldn't help but wonder what kind of oily mess the towel was going to be.  And even after drying, my skin was slightly oily.  Maybe I just used too much of the product??  I don't know.  It was so hard to get anything workable out of the jar because of it's near liquid consistency.

The tub remained rather slippery even after I rinsed it for a while with really hot water, and even after the menfolk of the house took their showers, and it was still slicker than usual the next day after taking my next shower.  Not good.  Even the jar has stayed an oily, slippery mess on the outside, not matter how many times I rinse it with hot water and wipe it with paper towels.

EPIC FAIL, Bath & Body Works.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this product . . . if you've tried it, if you've been considering it, or even just scrubs in general.  Any good (and affordable) ones you'd recommend?

14 comments:

  1. I've never tried this formula of scrub, and I don't think I will now! I don't like scrubs that are too oily, either. Did you mix up the product before using? Sometimes the oil sits on the top. Maybe that would help. What a bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, shook up the jar good just before my shower, and then stirred it up with my fingers before trying to get some out.

    Have they always had sugar scrubs? Have you tried any others from B&BW?

    I was very disappointed, but I have another review coming up - another scrub but a different company.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only tried the scrubs in a tube, not in a jar. I really like the consistency of the "Super Smoothing" scrubs, they're not oily but leave you soft. They've had sugar scrubs for as long as I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, duh! I had one of those in the tube. I'd forgotten all about that! Yeah, that one was pretty nice.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. The oil is supposed to be an addition to the scrub. The only thing you should be grabbing out is the sugar granules and the oil should remain inside the jar for the most part....so no mixing before using it. Also, the sugar granules don't break down and should just be rinsed off. Sorry if I seem to know a lot about it. I actually work at BBW and have used the scrub since I started 8 years ago. I hope this helps! If you have any questions though, just swing in and I can show you what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Anna.

    Thanks for the information, but what is done with the oil in the end? Dumped down the drain? Seems wasteful, especially since a jar costs $16 and you're now meant to not even use most of it. I don't know, still not my type of scrub.

    Do I know you? Hehe, because otherwise how would I know what B&BW to meet you at?

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeesh, glad you survived your experience! (Without a body cast)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry Deb! I just read your comment back...a couple months late I guess. I work at the BBW in Fond du Lac. And yes to answer your question, the oil is wasted at the end. If you like the scent we do have soothing scrubs in Aromatherapy too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Deb! I hate oily scrubs as well, because they create a lot of waste and are not at all necessary. I make my own gentle body scrubs that are all natural, extremely effective, and economical. Check out my shop on Etsy when you get a chance:

    http://www.ThePamperedBodyShop.etsy.com

    -Cheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Cheri!

      I just popped over to have a look at your shop and oh my, the Rosemary Lemon scrub jumped out at me immediately. Oh, and the coffee one! I also see your shop is quite new. Will you be adding more products, or are scrubs your main focus?

      ~Deb

      Delete
  10. Deb, I find the BBW sugar scrub to be oily also. That said, I like it for my 2 year old because he has awful eczema and this seems to be the only thing that helps. I use the lavender vanilla on him before he goes to bed. I never thought it was any different in oiliness than using baby oil on him.

    If you have any oil left over when the sugar is gone, you can just put your own sugar in it and stir it up. No point in wasting the extra oil! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I'd thought of adding more sugar when I had this. I didn't even keep, just dumped it in the garbage.

      Have you tried handcrafted soaps, goat milk soaps in particular, on your son? A lot of people are amazed by how 'homemade' soaps help eczema.

      ~Deb

      Delete