Thursday, December 22, 2011

Review - Beguile Soap


Beguile is a handcrafted bath and body product shop that I used to confuse with Haunt and often thought of together with shops like Haus of Gloi and FuturePrimitive.  When I realized Beguile was an Australian shop I sort of sighed and figured I'd never order.  But wait!  FuturePrimitive is a UK shop and I have ordered from there several times, so why not try an Aussie soap? 

I ordered three bars . . . Milk, Honey, and Ritual.  Coming all the way from Australia did take a bit of time, but I was prepared for that, and it was still rather quick considering.  Once the conversions are all figured out, I think Beguile's bars are around 4.5oz, and cost right around $6.00.  I think she must have been having a sale at the time though because my receipt shows I paid $5.10 per bar.  Shipping was high, as was to be expected coming all that way. The bars each come in a clear biodegradable plastic baggie with a tag/label tied on.  These bars are so cute, sort of a compact, chunky bar with big lazy swirls on top.  I also received two small samples in my package.

The only bar I have used so far is the Honey one.  On the site it's listed as Honey 'n Oats, but mine is just labelled as Honey, although the ingredients do show there is ground oatmeal in there too.  The only scent in this one comes naturally from the ingredients, mainly the honey, and even then there really isn't much to smell.  But that's ok because it's an all natural bar.  I would feel differently if it was *meant* to have fragrance.  The other ingredients are fairly simple, and that's all fine by me.  As I've said before, I'm not convinced adding oodles of 'fancy' ingredients really do anything.

I used this Honey bar in the shower with a pouf, as I always do.  I tend to rub the bar on my body first before lathering up the pouf, and let me tell you . . . this baby explodes into lather with the littlest of effort!  The oatmeal is not scratchy, and was a pleasant bit of scrubbiness before doing the bulk of my showering with my overly sudsy pouf.  I *LOVE* lather, so this bar was a joy to use.  I know the common saying is 'Lather does not equal cleansing,' but give me lather!  It was sad to rinse it away but when I finally did it rinsed easily and I did not feel any dryness or tightness afterwards.  Being an unscented bar, I didn't pay attention to whether there was a generic 'soap' smell or not while in use.

Overall, my experience with Beguile has been very positive.  It's really too bad this is a shop so far away and shipping is a killer, because this is one of the better soaps I have ever come across.  If you are an extreme soap connoisseur, always looking for something new and fine to try, I would absolutely recommend this shop.  I would definitely order again as a treat to myself.  I'm not sure how often Beguile has sales or specials but it might be worth it to keep an eye on the site and snatch some bars at those times.  There are also scrubs, body oils, herbal balms, and wax tarts available.

And if you're already a Beguile user, I'd love to hear your thoughts.  What should I try next time??

9 comments:

  1. what a gorgeous bar of soap!! this is one of the handful of soapers I've been wanting to try. CocoBong also gave the soap rave reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this soap! I bumped it up to the head of the 'Use Next' list because someone had asked about it in a comment, but now I might bump the other two bars to the top of the list too.

    I think her shop is closed now for the holidays, but you should definitely give her a try in the new year!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a chance on them too and am glad I did. The scents are good, I remember a chocolate orange (called "Sinful") that smelled edible. And like you say, lather is abundant! I use them in short spurts because for me they can be drying for me. Having dry skin seems to restrict the number of soapers I can be unabashedly enthusiastic about unfortunately. For most people Beguile is creme de la creme I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, take out "unabashedly", I didn't use that correctly. I need to slow down with my typing.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review :) Don't like the scent of Sinful at all though - cloying and musty...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, 'chickadee'!

    I had to go back to the site and look up Sinful. I'm not big on patchouli so I probably would have skipped that one anyway. :)

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Urgh patchouli! Once smelled twice shy..

    That said, am using her Dead sea mud soap and lovin it thus far. I tend to only buy soaps which are all natural and have "extra" ingredients - milk, honey, charcoal, mud, clay etc. Feels like I'm getting more bang for my buck that way.

    Love your blog and have been reading through your archives (and kicking myself for missing your giveaways ;) ). Would love it if you could review Chagrin Valley and A Wild Soap Bar next! They seem to use top notch - and unusual - ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not familiar with either of those but I have bookmarked both pages and will try to have a better look this weekend.

    Thanks for the tip! :)

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chickadee - if you see this, email me please.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete