Monday, February 6, 2012

Eco-Emi January Box

It seems like this should be a February box but it's not.  This is indeed the January box but there was a delay in shipment, and then I just haven't had a chance to get pictures taken and a post written until now.  So let's take a look, shall we?
First of all, there was light blue tissue paper wrapped around this when I first opened the box, and there were a few of the confetti snowflakes right on top.  That was so cute.  And then when I opened the paper and saw tons more of the snowflakes on this shimmery blue bag . . . SO CUTE!  Everything was tucked into this blue bag and let me just say, I *love* this bag.  Crazy, but it's probably my favorite part of this month's box.  LOL!  It's a deep navy blue color, made of a very moveable velvet material, not at all stiff.  I don't know what I'll ever use it for, but I love it.

And this is what was all inside.  As always, there was an information card about everything in the package, and then some extra cards from some of the companies involved.

Organic Sprouted Quinoa, from TruRoots.  I don't even know what Quinoa is but it's cool that they included some.  There are instructions on the package.  I'm guessing it's something like rice?

Organic virgin coconut oil, from Kelapo.   According to the little info card, coconut oil can be used for tons of things.  I know from my soaping days that it's great in soap, but this says you can use it straight as a body moisturizer or hair conditioner or even for taking off waterproof mascara.  It also suggests using as a butter alternative, and of course for cooking or baking.  Who knew?

Honeydew-Spearming body lotion, from Deep Steep.  I think I've had something from this company before, maybe in a previous Eco-Emi box or maybe even in a Birchbox, because the packaging looks familiar.  

Grapefruit Seed & Orange Peel Extract liquid laundry detergent, from Biokleen.  This sounds interesting.  I usually use these types of samples on clothes that don't get very dirty because I'm always skeptical about such detergents.  Really though, I should be using them on the dirtiest clothes just to see how well it does.  Ha, someday I'll figure these things out.

Two teas from TeaGschwendner . . . Acerola Fruit Tea, and Marani Green Tea.  This was humorous and a bummer to me because I recently went through another short lived phase of 'I will learn to like tea!'  And like my other attempts, this one bombed almost immediately. I just can't stand it!  For me to even be able to tolerate tea I would need to sweeten it up so much that it would hardly seem worth it.  I've even tried teas that I thought would be flavorful enough for me to at least get used to, but nope . . . they all taste the same to me, all taste horrible.  I'm jealous of tea drinkers!  How do you do it???

Organic, natural hand purifier, from Dr. Cleangreen.  I am not a hand sanitizer user.  I think we've become a ridiculously germaphobic society.  It also makes me cringe that these products are often just as harmful as they might be helpful.  So it's nice to see that there is indeed a natural product out there.  Too bad the natural options cost so much more because I would love to push this issue at work, where we are required to use the cheapest, most industrial strength anti-bacterial hand soaps and hand sanitizers.  (I work in a food plant.)  It doesn't matter if we have our own because we have to wash/sanitize whenever we step onto the production floor and our personal items are not allowed there.

An organic eyeliner in black/brown, from Lauren Brooke Cosmetiques.  I don't wear makeup but I've seen Lauren Brooke products in Birchbox (I think?) and know the beauty gurus tend to like them.

Lip tint in Strike-a-Rose, from JR Watkins.  I was thrilled to see this!  I always think of JR Watkins as products in my grandma's cupboard for baking.  I seem to remember a bottle of vanilla extract or something always being present in my mom's corner cupboard, the lazy-susan of baking ingredients.  I didn't even realize they had lip balms!  Then again, I do seem to remember recently noticing a JR Watkins section in the bath and body section of Target or Walmart.  Anyway, I'm all about lip balms, and I would like to ease my way into wearing some lip color so this was quite a treat to find in this month's box.

Organic lip balm in Vanilla Polar Bear, from Endangered Wildlife Lip Balm.  Another lip balm!  Oh, happy day!  And for a good cause too.  I'm glad mine is vanilla.  Some of the boxes received peppermint, some lavender orange, and some got vanilla.

And that is my January Eco-Emi box.  I have cancelled my subscription, so this was my last box.  It's not that I don't like the Eco-Emi program . . . not at all!  It's more because when 2012 started I had decided to trim out some expenses, and use some money for other things in other areas.  And while it is so much fun to receive a box of surprise goodies each month, I'm finding that a lot of these things (just like with Birchbox) are not things I will use, not even in sample form.  Since I first tried Birchbox and then found my way to Eco-Emi I've heard of several other subscription/sample programs.  I might try some of them in the future.  It would be great to find a more 'common folk items' program, but so far they all seem to be high-end beauty or eco-friendly based.  

So while this is my last Eco-Emi box, I still highly recommend the program.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Amd don't forget to enter my February Giveaway . . . HERE . . . for your chance to win
TWO bars of handcrafted soap.


10 comments:

  1. Looks like you got a fun box here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent some time today researching other monthly sample boxes and have already found the next one I want to try. I'm not going to say which one it is yet, but there is sort of a waiting list like when I first signed up with Eco-Emi. Bummer on that, but I'm excited otherwise.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have looked at this box but have not been very impressed with the size of the samples.
    But that bag is so PRETTY!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had a problem with the size of the samples because there is always something full size in the box. The sample things have always been enough to get a good idea of the product.

    I might actually come back to Eco-Emi after I play around with some others for a while. :)

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom uses this recipe for lemon quinoa. Vegetarians supposedly use it as a protein source but for me it's more of a carb side dish.

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/herbed-quinoa-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, that recipe sounds interesting.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got quinoa! Lol! I've been meaning to try quinoa for, literally, years. The couple times I've actually told myself I was going to buy it, they were all out at the store I was at.

    I didn't know that stuff about coconut oil either. Huh.

    "Ha, someday I'll figure these things out." (re: the laundry soap) Lol!

    Tea, "How do you do it???" Easy, it's good! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I'd known you wanted to try quinoa I would have held on to it for you. But too late, I've already passed it on to someone else. :(

    Tea . . . bleah. It is not just plain good. And still it nags in the back of my mind that I must try again. Geez.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, that's alright.

    And it's o-kay to not drink tea, you know. I mean, it only makes you weird and different from everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tea and coffee are constantly calling to me and I've hated them every time I've tried. Kurth & I figured out it's the milky, creamy versions of such drinks that I enjoy on the rare occasions I'm able to drink them.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete