Sunday, February 19, 2012

Review - Organix Shampoo & Conditioner

Organix is a brand I'd noticed in stores quite some time ago and was instantly drawn to the cute packaging and the yummy varieties like Mocha Espresso, Coconut Milk, and Vanilla Silk, just to name a few.  This is also a brand that is very popular in YouTube and blog reviews.  ( The Brazilian Keratin Therapy line is all the rage right now.)  But the price has always turned me away.  More recently, 'HeathersStitches' has been talking about this brand on her YouTube channel and once again my interest was sparked.  This time I contacted Organix through their website, and they said they'd send me "some products."  I knew from their website that they have many more products than just shampoos and conditioners.  I figured I'd be getting samples of a few things and hoped some would be of those other products.  I couldn't believe it when the package arrived and I pulled out FOUR full size bottles of shampoos and conditioners!  I was giggling like a kid at Christmas!

As happy as I was to finally have a chance to try Organix, I was also leery and somewhat worried because many people have complained that these products are high priced crap that turned their hair to dried out, tangled, damaged "straw."  Well, um, yikes.

The first one I tried was the Cocoa Butter.  It says 'instant repair' on the bottle and the description is 'An irresistible indulgence of nutrient rich cocoa butter to instantly repair hair follicles and impart sheen, while babassu oil helps restore your tresses natural elasticity, along with regenerating sesame seed oil to add conditioning and luminescent shine.'  I'd noticed on the back of the bottle it says to apply 'generously' and the first time I used this I don't think I used enough.  As I was working it into my hair I was feeling something like stickiness or a wanting to clump and tangle, and my first panicked thought was "Oh nooooo!  STRAW HAIR!"  But then I realized I probably just didn't use enough, because the areas where I was sure I had plenty of product felt fine.

The conditioner is very thick.  I wasn't sure if I'd need to use extra of this too so I went ahead and used a generous amount.  The bottle says to leave it in 3-5 minutes.  This was a problem for me because I am very much a wash-n-go girl.  I usually use a 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner and prefer to hop in the shower, get things done and get out.  I also wash my hair last in the shower process.  So this first time using Organix, I washed my hair first and let the conditioner sit while I finished the rest of my shower.  I probably made that 3-5 minute window that time but I was so impatient in doing it that way.  I'm such a creature of habit.  LOL!

My hair was fabulous that day!  I noticed a difference almost immediately, and was so relieved my hair hadn't turned to the dreaded straw.  It was definitely softer, and there was less static-y fly away.  I was greatly impressed . . . until the second day.  I usually wash my hair every other day instead of daily.  On the second day after first using this product, my hair seemed flatter and more blah than on the day after using my usual cheap products.  It didn't really feel oilier or anything but just seemed to be weighed down and tired.  When I used the products again the day after that I did it quickly as I normally do, and did not meet that recommended 3-5 minute leave-in time.  My hair was noticeably different.  It was still soft but seemed less shiny and much more dried out.  It wasn't horrible, like to the point of needing to wear a hat or stay hidden indoors but it was a difference that even hubby noticed. 

There is a very light, sweet scent if you put the bottle right to your nose but while using it in the shower I did not notice any distinct scent.

Next I tried the Cherry Blossom Ginseng formula.  The bottle says 'rejuvenating' for this one and the description is 'This sensual and alluring blend of cherry blossom extracts and Asian ginseng root helps rejuvenate the scalp and hair follicle to add volume at the root while nourishing your hair with replenishing rice milk and bamboo extract for hydration and shine.'  This one also has a very nice scent if you smell it right from the bottle but again I didn't notice anything while actually using the product in the shower.  It was funny though, while in the car later I could smell something nice and wondered what it was . . . and I think it is this Organix!

Anyway, today was the first time I tried this one.  I did my usual shower routine, which means the conditioner does not sit in my hair the recommended 3-5 minutes, but I did try to dillydally a bit to give it a smidge more time.  I made sure I used a generous amount too.  My hair is absolutely softer after using these products.  This one has also left my hair sort of dry, but I'm convinced if I did start leaving these conditioners in longer that problem would go away, because that first day my hair WAS fabulous.

So what do I think overall?  Would I buy these products again?  Well first I'd like to point out a few things.  I have slightly longer than shoulder length hair that has never been colored or treated.  My hair is sort of combination, being oily at the roots but dry on the ends.  I don't blow dry, curl, flatten, or anything . . . just wash and go.  Also, my water is very hard, country well water.  Keeping those things in mind, how these products work for you could be very different, and I think that's where the love/hate relationship comes in.  Someone described it on the Organix Facebook page as "hit or miss in a bottle."  And yes, I think leaving the conditioner in long enough is probably a huge factor in results.

The bottles are 13oz. and the information paper they sent me says they retail for $6.99, but I noticed at my Walmart different varieties are priced from $5.94-$6.72.  From what I've seen and heard online, Organix does not offer coupons so if you like these products and see them on sale, I would suggest stocking up.

Because I'm cheap, I've found two problems related to the high price of Organix.  They do work, and I love that, but the fact that you have to use a generous amount means this bottle is not going to last as long as a product you could use less of.  AND if the flat, blah results on the second day mean I have to wash my hair daily, well that bottle is being used up even faster yet.  I haven't played around yet to see if I could use my regular shampoo/conditioner most of the time and maybe just a special treatment with Organix once a week or something.

I like that I can find Organix in almost any store I go to.  I've even seen it at my local grocery store.  I love the packaging (don't know why) and I like that there are so many intriguing and yummy varieties to choose from.  I absolutely did see a difference in my hair.  It is super soft, with less fly-aways.  I've even noticed less breakage . . . less hair in my hands after washing, and less hair in the comb after combing. 

And I thank Organix for providing me the opportunity to try their products!

20 comments:

  1. How cool that you were able to try these products! I'm a daily-wash girl, washing at night and sleeping in a hair net (yes, like a 80 year old) :) I'd like to try these, though! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time you ask for video ideas I'm going to suggest "Show us your hair net, Ellie!"

    :P

    But seriously, yeah, it was very cool that they sent these. I really didn't think they would considering it says right on their website that they do not have coupons or samples. I guess it pays to try anyway, huh?

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to really want to try this brand, but my friends who have tried it said it made their hair and scalp dry. And so continues the search! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. But that doesn't mean it will be the same for you. As mentioned, conditions for you might be different than them. Your hair type, possibly your water, even HOW you use it could all be a factor.

    Just sayin' . . . :)

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh-oh, if a husband noticed something, there's gotta be an issue ... ;)

    Very cool that they sent you this stuff!

    That's funny about it being a trial to do your hair first and then leave the conditioner on long enough. I end up leaving conditioner in waaay longer than it says to because I do my hair right after my face and I'm such a slowpoke with the rest. I doubt I'd have any issue leaving that stuff in five minutes, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so surprised they actually sent something! But I've also felt a bit weird about contacting them (and Bodycology earlier) because I said I don't want to be that kind of blog reviewer.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eh, big whoop. It's not like contacting them for stuff is changing your tune toward them in the reviews. And hey, you get free stuff. It's a win-win, as they get a review, which is why they'd bother doing it ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you think I should keep begging for free stuff? hehe

    I signed up for a couple programs that might let me EARN free things to review. We'll see how that goes.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep. :D

    I saw that. Hopefully they're worth your while.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use a mixture of their products. I use the tea tree mint shampoo for my scalp, and the cherry blossom ginseng conditioner since its a thinner conditioner that doesn't weigh my hair down, and especially doesnt the next day! Usually healthier shampoos make my hair look like it hasn't been washed in a week, after one day. I think everyone should mix these up for best results. My hair is very dry at first, THEN gets oily. These 2 together works best foe me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion and information. I've wondered about mix-n-match. And since your hair sounds like mine, I might have to try this combo.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Hi Xaeon, I too have a hugely oily scalp on the second day but my ends are dry . Your combination of Tea tree shampoo and cherry conditioner sounds like something that may suit my hair type.

      So I may want to give this a shot.

      Delete
  11. I hate organix. It always makes my hair dry and fall out and throughout the day my head really itchy. I recommend using biolage bamboo or keratin I use the bamboo shampoo and keratin conditioner and its the best

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Awaphui and Ginger. My hair is so soft...I don't wash my hair everyday..doesn't make my hair oily

    ReplyDelete
  13. i have oily< hair.how can wash my hair and how should used shampoo.please give me better solution...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I'm not an expert in hair care. This was just my own experience with this shampoo and conditioner.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  14. Thank you for such an awesome article dear and from my side I want to say that i am using <a href="http://www.sheamoisture.com/Jamaican-Black-Castor-Oil-Strengthen-Grow-Shampoo_p_1603.html“> sulfate free shampoo</a> . SheaMoisture’s Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen, Grow & Restore Shampoo is a gentle, color safe hair treatment which can be used on regularly styled and chemically treated hair to nourish and strengthen them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was trying to find more natural and chemical free products and ended up buying this and had similar results as you even after leaving the conditioner on for like 6-7 mins. Anyways, I have the same type of hair that you do, if I may ask, what products do you usually use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very impatient and lazy when it comes to hair care. I'm totally wash-n-go, and prefer 2-in-1 products these days. Aussie 2-in-1 Moisture formula was working great for me but now I see they've changed the formula or something, and it's just not working like it used to. I really don't have anything I'm happy with at the moment.

      ~Deb

      Delete