Monday, March 5, 2012

Haul & Review - Güd

Güd is a brand of hair and body products that I've only recently just heard of.  Actually, I had noticed this one from a 'Like' on the Facebook page of an acquaintance and was intrigued enough to check into it immediately.  They are apparently an offshoot company of Burt's Bees, and just like that company these are natural products.

On the Güd Facebook page you can sign up for a free sample and you can also print out a $1.00 off coupon.  I also found several printable coupons at the Target website, $1.00 each off various Güd products.  Although I had signed up for the free sample, I was just too impatient to wait the 4-6 weeks for it to arrive so I armed myself with the coupons I'd printed and made sure we stopped at Target while we were out and about this weekend.

The full line of products includes shampoo and conditioner, body wash, body lotion, body butter, body mist, hand cream, and foaming hand soap.  There are four scents: Floral Cherrynova, Orange Petalooza, Vanilla Flame, and Pearanormal Activity (which is a Target exclusive).  The store I was at only had the shampoos and conditioners, body washes, and body lotions.  But using my coupons creatively, I was able to get one of each product, one of each scent.

I got the body wash in Floral Cherrynova scent.  The bottle describes it as 'The scent of soft cherry blossoms and almond milk will gently revive you while chamomile conditions your skin.  So your shower is a spa, not a rude awakening.'  I really like this scent!  It's sort of candy-ish, bright and pretty but also just a touch of cozy and sweet from the almond milk.  Being a natural product, I admit I wasn't expecting much.  It's a clear, almost runny consistency and I used a generous amount just because I doubted there would be much lather.  I was quickly proved wrong!  

(Let me do my usual conditions clarification . . . I used this product in the shower on a mesh shower pouf, and I have very hard, country well water.)

This stuff explodes with rich, fluffy lather.  It's long lasting and rinses easily.  My skin felt clean and soft without feeling dry or tight.  There is plenty of scent while in the shower but it's not overpowering.  I forgot to pay attention to whether or not I could still smell it on my skin afterwards.  I really enjoyed this natural body wash.

A 10 oz. bottle of body wash sells for $6.99 at Target or $6.49 at Walmart.  I'm not sure what other stores carry the Güd products at this point because they are still very new. 

For my shampoo I chose the Vanilla Flame scent, which is described on that bottle as '...wash your hair with natural ingredients.  And the scent of vanilla and rice milk will leave it smelling sweet no matter what shenanigans you get yourself into.'  I thought this would be my favorite scent since I'm all about warm and cozy, but it's not.  It's not really a bad scent, just not at all the sort of vanilla anything I had imagined.  There is an almost wood-like note to it.

Again, being a natural product I wasn't sure what to expect.  It's sort of a mucous-y consistency, sort of a clear-ish, milky-ish color.  I wasn't sure how much to use since my experience with Organix showed you need to use quite a lot.  So I used a generous portion but I think it still wasn't enough.

(Pause for conditions clarification again . . . my hair is shoulder length, straight hair that I do not color or treat or do anything fancy with.  It's combination hair, oily at the roots and dry on the ends.  I usually wash it every other day.  And I have very hard, country well water.)

As I worked this shampoo into my hair there was lather but it seemed lacking, and there was a sort of 'stickiness' to my hair.  Both of these points make me wonder if using more shampoo would have better results.  I will try more next time, but that is already a downfall if that's the case, because it's already rather pricey and now you have to use twice as much?  Anyway, it seemed to rinse ok, with most of that sticky feeling going away but still didn't feel as slick and smooth as with other shampoos.  I didn't worry about it too much because I figured the conditioner would take care of it.

A 12 oz. bottle sells for $6.99 at Target or $6.49 at Walmart.

I picked the Target exclusive Pearanormal Activity scent for my conditioner.  I don't see it on the official Güd site but on the bottle it's described as ' . . . cuz you're pretty amazing and smelling like juicy pear and acai berry.'  It is a nice pear scent. 

(Pause for conditions clarification again . . . my hair is shoulder length, straight hair that I do not color or treat or do anything fancy with.  It's combination hair, oily at the roots and dry on the ends.  I usually wash it every other day.  And I have very hard, country well water.)

Because I thought maybe I hadn't used enough shampoo, I figured I'd better use plenty of this conditioner.  It is a very thick cream consistency.  I slathered some on both hands and worked it into my hair.  Even with this, I still didn't have the usual smooth glide feeling as my fingers moved through my hair.  The bottle doesn't say anything about how long to leave it but after the Organix experience I thought I should try to be patient and let it sit in my hair for a bit.  When I rinsed, my hair felt clean enough but just not the silky feeling you usually get after using conditioner.

Now, much later in the day, I'm a bit disappointed with how my hair feels.  It's not horrible, not dried or scratchy straw hair, but it's definitely not as soft and shiny as I would have hoped.  I do know that sometimes hair needs time and several washes to adjust to natural products so I will keep using it for a while, and will hold off on my final opinion of these Güd hair products.

A 12 oz. bottle sells for $6.99 at Target or $6.49 at Walmart.
 
 And for my body lotion I chose the Orange Petalooza scent, which is described as 'Naturally hydrating shea butter quenches skin and absorbs quickly.  The scent of blood orange and hyacinth leaves skin smelling delectable.'  This is a bright orange scent, very uplifting, and with just subtle hints of floral in the background.  This might be my favorite of the four scents.

Although it comes out of the tube quite thick, it spreads very easily and is surprisingly light.  There is a slight sticky or tacky feel after you've rubbed it on your skin but it's gone in seconds as the lotion quickly absorbs.  There is no greasy after-feel.  The scent is quite strong but not overpowering.  I've used it mainly on my hands so far and while it's lighter and meant to be for the body, it does a good job on hands too, where heavier creams are usually preferred.  I like this lotion and would gladly buy more in each of the other scents as long as I had coupons.

The 8 oz. tube sells for $6.99 at Target or $6.49 at Walmart.

Overall, I think this is a fun new brand of natural products.  I'm hoping the shampoo and conditioner will work better over time, but I'm already very happy with the body wash and lotion.  Being natural products, they are on the pricey side but it looks like there are plenty of ways to get coupons for them.  I'm anxious to try the body mist and body butter, and hope I can find them somewhere soon.

So, what do you think?  Does this look like something you'll try?  Which scent is calling to you?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

And don't forget to enter my March giveaway . . . HERE!
Win a set of Bodycology minis in Brown Sugar Vanilla scent!

2 comments:

  1. can't believe I missed this post. I have seen one of these products on the shelf at Walgreens, just the body wash. I'll have to smell it next time I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Target had all four scents, but not all of the products. Walmart has even fewer to choose from. Wish I could have found the body spray and body butter.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete