Friday, March 23, 2012

Haul - Yankee Candle Outlet

Hubby and I were out and about the other day and happened to be near the Yankee outlet store so we stopped in to see if they had any of the Easter goodies.  Because it's an outlet store, you can always find things much cheaper but the downside is that you can't always find the new or more current/popular scents.  They did have a couple Easter scents but only in the large jars, and we didn't want those.  They had a few Easter accesories like candle holders and things, but still not a huge selection.  (They do have leftover Halloween and Christmas things for dirt cheap though.)

Usually when we go to this store I get frustrated because you can't really smell the tarts through the plastic wrap.  And usually when we go I am too picky and only sort through a few, looking for scents I know I will like and giving up in a huff because they have such a random mix of lesser scents.  Hubby doesn't have these problems.  He just walks around and sniffs anything that catches his eye, not worrying about the name or what it *might* smell like.  He doesn't categorize like I find myself doing.  On top of all this, I've been so jealous lately of people I see in YouTube haul videos because they pop into Yankee and come home with all these wonderful sounding tarts, and they just have so much fun with it.  So I was determined to do it differently this time.

 We bought this super cute little candle holder for something like $4.00.  It holds votive sized candles, and is a pretty Easter design.

Since we'd gotten a votive holder, of course we had to get some votives.  These and the tarts were on sale for $1.00 each.  Hubby picked all of these, and I didn't not even look at them until we were in the car on the way home.  I told him I wanted to be more fun and less picky, and gave him free rein. lol

I'll just list these quickly, and if I can find the scent descriptions on the website I will include them.
  • Evening Air
  • Lilac
  • Island Flower
  • Citrus Punch
  • Autumn Fruit  A harvest celebration featuring lively blackberries with sweet grapes and juicy pears. 
  • Spring Days

 I picked all the tarts and was determined to have fun with it, open my mind, just pick some crazy things I'd probably never choose if I stopped to think about them.  I ended up with:
  • Beautiful Day
  • Cherry Blossom
  • Tutti Frutti
  • Island Guava
  • Orchard Pear  Ripe, succulent pears, fresh from the tree, warmed with notes of jasmine and cognac. 
  • Ocean Blossom   Like a swim in a tropical lagoon ... paradise calls in this blend of sea salt, lotus and water lily. 
  • Creamy Caramel 
  • Vera Cruz Vanilla
  • Dune Grass (Isn't this current?  Why isn't it on the site??)
  • Sea Harbor
  • Fruit Salad  It's a festive summer party with this bright, fun mix of juicy, sun-rich melons, berries and citrus. 
  • Lighthouse Point
  • Mango Peach Salsa  Sweet and zesty . . . juicy mangoes and peaches livened with citrus, ginger flowers and pepper.
  • Lakeside Birch
Because so few of these are on the website, and because this is an outlet store, it makes me wonder if these are all ancient and long ago discontinued scents . . . ?  Oh well, I'll still have fun melting them.  As we were checking out the Yankee girl told us about some bags of ten random tarts for $5.00.  We looked at some and it looks like a really fun way to try scents you might not otherwise try, but we didn't buy any this time.  You couldn't see all of the tarts in the bag.  You could see the top two, and if you were lucky enough to shift them around enough to see part of the label you might be able to figure out some others, but most would be a surprise until you opened the bag.  I think next time we go we'll get a couple.  I dropped a hint that maybe the Easter Bunny could drop a bag or two in my basket.  Hehe!

 Anyway, the next day we'd gone to Ace Hardware for something and I always get a kick out of the fact that this hardware store has a pretty decent selection of Yankee candles and tarts.  I decided what the heck, and got a few more.  They were $1.99 here, which I think is ridiculous for a tart, but they also had a lot of scents that I recognize from YouTubers' recent videos so I'm guessing these are much newer.  I got:
  • Sun & Sand  A tropical beach breeze of sweet orange flower, lemony citrus, fresh lavender and powdery musk. 
  • Vanilla Lime  Smooth and refreshing - the creamy richness of vanilla with sweet cane sugar and a zesty lime twist. 
  • Sage & Citrus   This blend of earthy sage, luxurious talc, and lemon-lime creates a natural harmony. 
  • Pink Sands   It's an exotic island escape in the beautiful mix of bright citrus, sweet florals and spicy vanilla.
So these should last me a while, along with all the other tarts I still have.  I will keep notes as I go through these, like what it smelled like, how I liked it . . . and will maybe do individual quickie posts about each.

I'm really curious about these scents that are not on the website.  Are any of you Yankee connoisseurs who can help enlighten me?  Or, what are some scents you think I should try next?  Would love to hear your thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know Yankee Candles had a out lit. I have never bought the tarts before, what do you do wit them? I love candles and honestly don't car where they come from dollar store Wal mart all the same to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tarts are just scented wax that you melt to release the scent. I have a post all about them here:
    http://somethingalwayz.blogspot.com/2011/11/nov-17-tarts-101.html

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, my heart still races when I see a BB&W store or a Yankee Candle store. I love shops like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, I know, mine too! There are some YouTubers that I watch that always have Yankee and B&BW hauls, and I'm always 'Ooooh, I need to go get that!' Thankfully, Yankee is not near me and B&BW is in the mall and I almost never go to the mall. LOL!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can spend hours sniffing away happily at candle stores. Love your pics, hubby did a good job too :)Lakeside birch and Dune grass sound so interesting.

    http://pandorasssbox.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sniffing at candles stores or Bath & Body Works, but I always get paranoid that the salespeople are getting impatient with me.

    Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that Yankee tarts are just too weak. I think I had known that before but now I've confirmed it to myself. Maybe they are ok for small rooms but I have big rooms and like my scents STRONG.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete