Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Review - Sibu Beauty

I received a package from Sibu Beauty a while ago with some free products to try, and review.  I was not familiar with this company before seeing a review on YouTube, but a little more research on my own showed me this company was founded in 2003 and features sea buckthorn berry in all of their products.  You might be asking, 'What is sea buckthorn?'  A blurb on the Sibu website explains it this way:

High in the Tibetan Himalayas (12,000 feet above sea level) grows a tiny but resilient fruit that resists the harsh weather conditions and high altitudes. The sea buckthorn berry fortifies itself against the elements by producing an array of powerful nutrients. With over 190 bioactive compounds, sea buckthorn is an unsurpassed source of Omegas 3, 6, and 9. And it's a rich source of the elusive essential fatty acid, Omega-7, an essential fatty acid vital to collagen production and healthy skin, hair and nails.

Sibu has several body products, but it was interesting to see they also have dietary supplements, chocolates, and juice.

I received a full sized bar of their Cleanse & Detox facial soap.  It has a very nice scent, sort of a sweet citrus type but not at all overpowering.  I had figured the little black specks you see in the bar were from the sea buckthorn, but I see from the ingredients that there is also oatmeal in here.  It is all very finely ground though, so no need to worry about scratchiness.  I've cut a small slice off this bar and have been using is well over a week now, rubbing it directly on my face, and have not felt any harsh bits at all.

As mentioned, there is a pleasant scent to this soap.  It lathers easily but is more of a cream type lather instead of light and bubbly.  It rinses easily and has not left my face feeling dry or tight.  I have not noticed any irritation, but my skin is not really sensitive anyway.  I have not noticed any breakouts either, my skin being combination leaning towards oily.  And the only little slab I've cut off the bar so far is lasting a long time.  If I were to just use this for my face, I bet this bar would last months.  It says it is a a facial bar and that's all I've used it on, but I am curious how it would work as a body soap.  I might go ahead and give that a try at some point.

A 3.5 oz. bar sells for $6.95 on the Sibu website.  It is paraben-free, cruelty-free, and 100% natural.

I like this soap and if I could find it locally, I would probably buy it again.

I received a small sample packet of the Sibu nourishing facial cream, but I don't see it on their site so I can't really give you more details.  It was a nice enough cream, light and non-greasy.  I don't remember if there was any scent . . . it was very light if there was any.

A 1 oz. bottle of 'daytime' cream (not sure if it's the same) sells for $20.95 on the website.

I also received a small sample packet of their replenishing night cream.  It says 'rejuvenating' night cream on the website, so I'm not positive if it's the same product.  Maybe I have old samples?  Or there have been name changes?  Because the face cream on the site says 'daytime' where my packet says 'nourishing.'  Anyway, I don't remember scent with this one either but the website mentions lemon and orange essential oils.  It was light if there was any.  I didn't notice much difference between this and the face cream.  This one might have been a bit thicker.  Again, a nice enough cream that caused no problems for my skin.

A 1 oz jar sells for $34.95 on the website.

 
And finally, I received a small sample packet of the Sibu hydrating serum.  I am not familiar with serums, don't think I've ever used one from anywhere, so I wasn't sure how to use this or what to expect.  The packet just said to apply it basically the same as the other cream samples.  So I tried, but this is a clear, runny, almost liquid product and I wasn't prepared for that.  LOL!  It ran all over my hand and I sort of frantically slapped the rapidly escaping sample onto my face, only to find that I think you only need to use a wee amount.  Well, it was a learning experience, to say the least!  Again, not familiar with serums and don't know how to judge them so I can't say much about this.

A 1 oz. bottle sells for $39.95 on the website.

Using the store locator on the website, it looks like Sibu products can often be found at health stores.  I don't see any stores like Walmart or Target, at least not listed for my area.  I do like the bar soap I have but, honestly, the prices of the creams scare me a bit.  I have to remind myself that these are indeed natural products though, and I know the troubles I've been having trying to find an affordable (I am cheap) natural face cream.  So maybe I would splurge on a Sibu product. 

I am very happy to have been allowed the opportunity to try these products.  Sibu was very quick and friendly in their customer service, which is always huge with me.  Thank you, Sibu Beauty!

3 comments:

  1. Those products look very interesting. I think you were right initially that the darker specs are the berry and the lighter ones, the oatmeal. I am constantly amazed at all the wonderful products available to us!
    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use this and LOVE the face soap, haven't tried anything else though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Mary and Heather!

    Yep, this soap is quite nice. I'm still using that first chunk I sliced off, and still loving it. Too bad I can't find this in any local stores.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete