Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Embrace (Violet Eden Chapters) - Jessica Shirvington

Embrace
by Jessica Shirvington
(2010)

It starts with a whisper.

"It's time for you to know who you are . . . "

Strange dreams leave her with very real injuries and there's a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms.  The guy she thought she could fall in love with just told her he's only half-human - oh, and same goes for her.  And she keeps hearing a distant flutter of wings.

Violet Eden is having a very bad 17th birthday.

But if angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worst than betting on Violet Eden . . . 

Originally released in Australia and New Zealand in 2010, this is yet another book that has been repackaged and re-released recently.  And it is this beautiful purple cover that caught my eye and made me buy it.  They say don't judge a book by it's cover but sometimes that cover is all it takes.  I don't know if there has been a recent explosion of interest in the young adult book market and that is why so many of these types of books are being reintroduced to us?  Are teens and young adults really getting back to reading?  That warms my heart if that is indeed the case.  I encourage everyone to read more! 

Anyway . . .

I loved this book.  I was immediately sucked into the story.  I immediately felt connections with the main characters Violet and Lincoln, and felt their bond easily.  Early on, everything between them was just so 'real.'  No cheesy writing or dramatics.  There was one simple moment that nailed it all . . . Violet had shared a disturbing, long held secret with Lincoln, something that upset both of them.  Instead of going for big dramatic punch, the author had Lincoln listen quietly and let her have a moment to gather herself, and then he simply put an arm around her shoulder for a moment in a silent gesture of 'Are you ok?  Yeah, you'll be ok.'  It was just so real, so basic, and not some forced emotional scene to try and impress the reader.  A lot of the book was like that, and that's a big reason why I liked it.

Things did get a bit weak for a while once Violet learns about the angels.  I thought her reaction to not being told was a bit extreme, and I didn't like fact that angel partners can never be a couple.  While I do think that was just a far-fetched way to create the whole forbidden love angle, I can also see how it will add emotion to the series by having these people possibly have to watch their beloved become involved with someone else.

I *loved* the whole Phoenix part of the story.  Lincoln was hot in his laid back, casual cool demeanor but Phoenix was sizzling.  Even though he came across as a bit more forced cool, it worked.  Phoenix and Violet had a chemistry and a sexual tension like Bella and Edward.  Whooo!  *fans self*  I suspected early that he was someone much larger than he let on, but even so, when it was confirmed it was still a bit of an awe inspiring moment . . . again, because a huge deal was not made of it.  Some books might have done it up in huge overdone fashion, but the sort of laid back nature of things in this one make it cool because it's believable.  Even though the subject matter is fantasy (or is it? lol) it's written in a way that you just accept it.

One thing I did not like is something that bothers me in a lot of young adult fiction.  Why is it that kids are always the ones to undo the years of ultimate evil that the best of the best could not touch?  Harry Potter is the perfect example of what I'm talking about, but it is in so many other books and movies too.  And it's in this book as well.  Violet has only known about the angels for, what, a matter of weeks?  Yet she's right in there with these top notch agents and armies, fighting the evil right in the heart of things, and oh yes, she is the strongest thing anyone has seen in a bajillion years.  *rolls eyes*  I mean, I guess I can see how teens reading a teen book are going to be all over that, but it always makes me kinda cringe in a "Really?" sort of way.  Still, it wasn't enough to turn me off in this book.

There were some weak points, and times when things did drift into that cheesiness I hate so much, but towards the end it started pulling itself back together and I am REALLY looking forward to the next book in this series.  And I'm doing my best to not snoop around online and find out what happens in the rest of the books.  That is one danger of coming into these things late.  But anyway, loved this one and would recommend it wholeheartedly!

Have you read Embrace yet?  Do you get into the whole angels genre?  I'm new to it, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. I adored this book. Violet is such an engaging heroine, and her two love interests are just gorgeous. I couldn't pick between them. If you like Twilight you'll love this book, because Violet is so much more interesting than Bella Swan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a huge fan of Twilight, as in the first book of the series only. The rest of that series sort of failed for me. I do find Violet more interesting than Bella, but it's also Bella's 'normal and boring'ness that I like about her.

      I think I love Phoenix most out of the four main guys in both series.

      Have you read the rest of this series?

      ~Deb

      Delete