Monday, April 30, 2012

Luminessence - Dollar Tree Tarts

I have heard from online scent lovers that dollar store tarts are actually pretty good.  Since I was at our local Dollar Tree store this morning to look for graduation stickers, I decided to see if they had tarts.  I saw one no-name brand of plain vanilla scent round tarts and dejectedly passed them by.  A bit farther down the aisle though, I was surprised to see a nice little variety of clam shell package tarts!  The brand is Luminessence and there were maybe seven or eight different scents, but I chose just two, to see how they are.

Ocean Breeze does not smell anything like I would have expected it to.  I thought it would have been sort of 'green' or 'ozone'y or spa-like.  Nope.  This one smells like coconut with very subtle hints of something like baby powder.  Sounds weird, but it's actually very  nice.  I don't think the name fits it AT ALL, but ignoring that, I really like this scent.

Cucumber Melon is what you'd expect, a light and bright scent that is perfect for spring and summer.  This one doesn't seem quite as juicy as others I've smelled but it's still instantly recognizable.  A nice scent that I see in bath and body products all the time, but not so much in tarts.

These packs only have four cubes in them, as opposed to the typical six cube packs you get most other places.  At first I thought it was such a steal, only a dollar for these little gems, but when I got home and really looked at them I saw that the cubes are actually smaller.  I popped the wax out of the package and weighed it ... only 1 oz.  Heh, Walmart tarts are $2.00 for 2.5 oz.  Oh well, I'm always happy to try new tarts.

Normally, with Walmart tarts I will melt two cubes at a time.  That's about .8 oz.  I considered just melting all four cubes of the new one but I'm using my slightly smaller warmer today and ended up only putting three in, which should be close to how much I melt with Walmart tarts.  (Follow that?  lol)  I decided to try the Cucumber Melon first, and they've been melted about an hour now.  I can only faintly smell anything.  I *can* smell it, but it's much lighter than I prefer.  For smaller apartments or rooms, or those who like lighter scents, this would probably be great, but cost-wise you're still better off getting the Walmart tarts.

So in the end, while it was fun to find these and get a couple to try, even if the Ocean Breeze one is stronger I won't buy them again simply because the Walmart tarts are a better value.

Have you ever tried Luminessence tarts?  Or any off the wall brand tarts?  Have you found any surprise hits?  Let me know!

6 comments:

  1. I caved and bought some tarts today! And I have no idea what I'm getting myself into... ;) CandleLynn was having a sale today so thought I'd buy a few from there to give the whole tart thing a shot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Hope you like them. I always love it when someone else discovers the joys of these smelly little things.

    I have tried CandleLynn's tarts. If I remember correctly they were on the lighter side but they were nice.

    Hope you have a warmer!?

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not yet, but soon! It's next on my list of things I don't need but need to buy... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Do you prefer the electric kind with a light bulb? ($15 at Walmart) Or if you don't mind using tea light candles, you can get a basic ceramic warmer for like $4.00 at Walmart. (Bag of tea lights is only a couple bucks.)

    I'm excited for you!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried the ocean breeze scent today and IT DOES smell like coconut. I put all four squares in a small warmer in a small room. I can just faintly smell them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that's a bummer. I think I passed mine on to a friend.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete