Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Old Williamsburgh Candles

Last month, when Old Williamsburgh Candle company said they'd send me "a few of our candles" I thought I'd be getting a few votives or tea lights.  You know, something small to sample.  Imagine my surprise when I received a this large and heavy box?!  I'm pretty sure I was giggling like a schoolgirl as I opened it to find . . .
They sent me SIX large candles!  These are big, 18 oz. jar candles.  I absolutely could not believe their generosity.  Mark, from Old Williamsburgh Candle, had even asked what scents I preferred.  I'd told anything was fine, that I preferred warm, foodie scents while hubby preferred some florals and light scents.  They did a good job picking, because I received two each of three different scents . . . a floral, a warm foodie, and one in between.  My giddiness continued.

Tahitian Vanilla - 'Exotic sensual vanilla topped with roasted chestnuts.'  This is a white candle and smells oh so yummy.  It is a really nice, rich vanilla scent but with something more.  It is not nutty at all, but the chestnuts just lend something to it.  When you smell it right from the jar, this candle seems quite strong.  When burning it though, it's more of a lighter scent throw.  I could smell it throughout our large living room but it was more of subtle scent, not like you'd walk in and think 'Wow, vanilla candle burning!'  Very nice. 

We burned this several hours the other night and did have some slight tunneling.  It's not horrible, but just never reached one side of the jar.  I'll do a little wax maneuvering next time we burn it, and see if I can correct it.


Chamomile Green Tea - 'A mix of green tea leaves, fresh cut grass with touches of peppery ginger and chamomile.'  This yellow candle was a surprise hit with me.  On first sniff you'd swear it's a straight up floral, but it's not.  You do get that cut grass note in there and then there is some sweetness and a very soft hint of the ginger spice.  This one had a much stronger throw while lit than the vanilla did, and this one burned perfectly.  The wax pool made it smoothly and effortlessly all the way across the top.  And a bit more of a warm note comes out while it's burning.  Really like this one!


Iced Lavender - 'A fresh fragrance of sweet lavender fields blowing in the country air.'  As you know, I never used to be a fan of lavender scents.  And as you may also know, I seem to be warming up to lavender scents lately.  So when I pulled this purple one out of the box my first reaction was a bit of an 'Ugh, lavender' cringe.  Smelling it though, I had to eat that first reaction.  The 'country air' that the description mentions must be what's making this one okay for me.  There is sort of a green note dancing among the initial lavender notes.  While still not a favorite, I do think I'll like this one.  We have not burned this one yet, so I wonder if the warm throw notes will be any different.  And since we had minimal problems with the other two candles, I'm hoping this one burns evenly too.

I don't know actual prices of these candles because I only saw small ones in the store, but I did find something on the website suggesting a retail price of $4.99.  That's pretty darn affordable!  Yankee's 14 oz. candles are almost $25!  And these are 18 oz.! 

The store I originally saw this brand in was a local Pick N Save grocery store.  I admit I didn't have high hopes for the strength of the scents in such a candle.  Reading on the Old Williamsburgh website, I found that they are the primary supplier for Dollar-type stores, and also Michael's and JoAnn Fabrics.  Heh, yeah, my expectations were pretty low while I waited for my package to arrive.  Candles have always been very hit or miss for me . . . usually miss.  But wow, I have been pleasantly surprised with these!  I was showing these to my sister the other day and she asked if I would still buy these over bigger brand names.  I think I would, yes.  Maybe I'd eventually end up with a barely there weak scent but I'd know now that it's not a representation of the company as a whole.

Since they had sent me two of each scent my first thought had been to do my April giveaway with the doubles.  Then I realized that shipping on these buggers would be quite pricey, and reconsidered.  While my mom and sister were here on Easter Sunday, they each picked a candle to take home and try for themselves.  That leaves one extra candle, and I've decided to go ahead and use it for the giveaway.  (I will do a separate contest post.)

I would like to thank Old Williamsburgh Candle for sending me these wonderful candles.  It has been so much fun trying them out and sharing them with others.  And I will definitely be more open to trying their other candles as I come across them in local stores.  Thank you, Old Williamsburgh!

Are YOU familiar with Old Williamsburgh candles?  Would you give them a try if you came across them?  I'm curious!

OH!!  And perhaps the funniest thing of all was that the colors they sent are purple, yellow, and white . . .
Vikings!

19 comments:

  1. I have never seen , smelled or heard about these before! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't either because I usually don't even pause to look at 'cheap' candles. I still prefer tarts though. Hehe!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can get them at ocean state job lot if you have one nearby

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought 3 of these candles from AC Moore; they were on sale: 3 for $10.00. I'm disappointed because I can only smell them if I put the candle up to my nose. Also, the wax melts just in the middle making a hole and most of the wick gets buried in the melted wax so there's hardly a flame left. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typically with Store Brand Candles they are obviously cheaper in price and use less fragrance oil. I bought some of their candles at AC Moore: Great Barrier Reef,Lilac Blossom and Lavender Garden and after they burn for a few minutes the scent starts to kick in.Maybe you got a bad batch of them? If your willing to spend a little more $ Gold Canyon,Yankee Candle(some of them are good) and Bath & Body Works have top quality candles that fill the room with fragrance and last a long time.

      Delete
  5. I can't help with the lack of scent throw, but as for burning just down the middle (tunneling) . . . it is said that you should always trim wicks to about 1/4 inch before burning, and that you should always let the candle burn an hour for each inch of diameter. So if the candle is two inches across, you should let it burn for at least two hours every time you light it.

    Other things to consider are whether there is a draft in the room that is pushing the flame/heat to one side of the candle. Try rotating the candle slightly every now and then while it's burning. Is it sitting on a level surface?

    Sometimes candles are just stupid, stubborn things that refuse to burn evenly. More often than not, candles we burn do not work out flawlessly. That's why I hate candles. lol

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying to find where I can buy these candles. I have Gingerbread Sprice and it smells so good. I looked at Michaels and they did not have any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them in a regular grocery store (Pick N Save). I'm not sure where else they are sold. Sorry.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  7. Hi, I am from Scotland and came across these at our "Home Bargains" store, I just bought one to try, Apple Cinnamon and having used it, the aroma is lovely and there has been no tunnelling as yet. They had other scents in store, retailing at 69p each 30oz, I am going back for more to give as Christmass Presents, highly delighted to see them selling here and would recommend. Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      That's awesome to hear . . . both that they are sold in Scotland, and that you'll give them as gifts. I still have a couple of these sitting here, waiting to be burned. =)

      Thanks for reading and taking time to comment.
      ~Deb

      Delete
  8. I was given a Vanilla scented candle a while back. The smell was amazing and the candle burnt down evenly making the jar easy to clean for re use.

    As I was cleaning my bathroom tonight I opened the jar to wipe the lid, I was surprised to find it still smells strongly of Vanilla! I looked on the jar to see what kind of candle it was and then came online to find out more about them, thus finding your post.

    I did find some smaller ones on Amazon but the shipping costs just as much as the candle, they arent eligible for Prime :(

    I will definately be searching for these candles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool that it still smells strong. I still have a couple of these candles, waiting to be burned. We keep going through smaller, seasonal scents and pushing these to the side.

      And I love hearing how people find my blog, so thank you for sharing that bit of info too. =)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  9. I found these at bi-lo and love them. Bi-lo no longer carries the scent I like so I just order them direct online. They're inexpensive and the scent was long lasting on mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. Thanks for reading, and for taking the time to comment. =)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  10. A friend gave me lilac blossom for a gift. It has the best scent and makes the whole house smell great. Love it and was looking for where I could buy another one and found your blog. Love, love, love this candle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. Glad you found my blog, and thank you for taking the time to comment.

      I just looked at what I have left of these candles the other day. Hope they're still good when I get around to melting them again. =)

      ~Deb

      Delete
  11. Looking for more of the coffee scented and shaped candles that were at the Dollar Tree just recently but am unable to locate any more. I love these ones !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too , great candle ..cant find them anywhere .They smell great.

      Delete
  12. I have been burning the 2.5oz size in decorative votives for about 15 years. I found them at a grocery store called Super-Lo. They were a buck a piece and burned for eight hours. Tranquility was my favorite scent. The store just discontinued them...BooHoo.
    Susan in Memphis

    ReplyDelete