Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Unseen - Richie Tankersley Cusick

The Unseen, and The Unseen 2
(It Begins; Rest In Peace; Blood Brothers; Sin And Salvation)
by Richie Tankersley Cusick
(2005)

Volume One
Out walking alone one rainy night, Lucy becomes convinced that someone - or something - is following her.  Spooked, she ducks into a cemetery to try and lose her stalker.  Panicking in the darkness, she slips and stumbles into an open grave - only to discover she is not alone in there.  She manages to escape, but soon begins having terrifying visions and dreams - and she still can't shake the feeling of an unseen presence, always watching, waiting . . .   Who was the girl in the grave?  And what did she do to Lucy?

Volume Two
Too many deaths, too many terrifying visions and sleepless nights have taken their toll on Lucy Dennison.  She wonders if she can trust anyone or anything anymore - even her own mind.  Lucy knows there must be something, somewhere that can tell her why she was chosen to receive the terrible visions, why she feels the sinister presence all around her.  As Lucy searches desperately for answers, she knows time is running out.  Too many people have disappeared - or worse - and the constant feeling of being surrounded by something truly evil grows stronger each night.  Can Lucy defeat the evil in time?

This series was originally released in 2005 and 2006, and was four separate books.  Walmart recently repackaged and re-released the series as two volumes, each containing two of the original books.  This seems to be the trend in books these days because I've been seeing soooo many others being redone this way.  Anyway, I noticed it and paused to look at it a few times before finally giving in and buying it.

I wish I would have written this post as soon as I'd finished reading because now enough time has passed that I don't remember all the finer details.  Overall, I liked these books.  They are not grand literature, but it was a pleasant enough read.  A quick and easy read too.  The first book in volume one started out so good, I couldn't put it down and couldn't wait to get back to it if I did have to break away from reading.  Things turned a little cheesy and over-dramatic for a while with one character but once he was removed from the situation things got better again.  Each of the books ends rather abruptly, and then the first chapter of the next book is just a repeat of the last chapter of the previous book . . . which was somewhat annoying but oh well.

The story kept me guessing.  Sometimes that was good and had me tense and anxious for answers, but sometimes it was just because things were not explained clearly.  The end left things hanging for me.  While I did have to laugh because I had not seen the final twist coming, when all was said and done I felt like some things were just never tied up.  I actually checked online to see if there was another book after this.  LOL

I had suspected all along that one main character (Matt, the priest) was not what he appeared to be, but he was my favorite character nonetheless and I was disappointed to see what his role in all of this really was.  I'd had much grander visions.  

As for the unseen, the evil stalkers . . . what were they?  I still don't know.  Shape shifters were mentioned a lot.  Some werewolf type thing was mentioned.  Something about needing to complete the transformation from one class to the next was mentioned.  But was it ever really explained?  I didn't come away from this series feeling like I knew just what they were or why there were that way.  It also got tiring sometimes always wondering if there was trickery going on, or if things were legit for the moment.  But overall, yes, I did like this series and I would recommend it for a quick supernatural type read.

2 comments:

  1. I have seen these in my Wal-Mart as well, Would you say a 13 yr old could read these then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is some violence but it's not over the top. I think there is some mild kissing, but no sex. Amazon.com says it is "Ages 12 and up" reading, but it's hard to say. I mean, it's mainly about supernatural evil beings.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete