Thursday, May 17, 2012

Crescendo - Becca Fitzpatrick

Crescendo
by Becca Fitzpatrick
(2010)

With summer starting and Patch - her extremely protective, extremely hot guardian angel - by her side, things seemed perfect for Nora Grey.  Unfortunately, she has to take a summer school class, and Patch has suddenly grown distant and developed an irritating interest in Nora's archenemy, Marcie Millar.

If she hadn't been so frustrated by Patch, Nora would have hardly noticed Scott Parnell, an old family friend who moved back to town.  His attitude alone is enough to drive her away, but Nora is mysteriously drawn to him and the secrets he seems to have about her past.

On top of all that, Nora is suddenly haunted by images of her murdered father, and questions whether her Nephilim bloodline has anything to do with his death.  Desperate for answers, Nora risks everything despite warnings from everyone she knows that some things are better left buried.

*** MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS ***

This is the second book in the Hush, Hush series.  (Read my review of the first book HERE.)  I'd been a bit disappointed with the ending of the first, so I wasn't sure what to expect with this one.  Once again, there was too much going on.  I was left confused because there were too many names and histories and relationships to try and keep track of among all the events and twists.  I think I might go ahead and look for a cheater summary online just to get back on track before reading the next book.

Crescendo follows pretty much the same format at Hush, Hush.  Nora is sort of forced into a situation with Scott.  He is obnoxious and she pretty much can't stand him, but becomes obsessed with learning his secrets, and keeps putting herself in awkward situations.  Then we bring a second storyline into it by having Nora seeing her supposedly dead father, and becoming obsessed with also finding out what's going on there.  We'll add some twists and turns to the story and then Nora will be alone with the killer and of course the killer will explain everything in these moments (because that's what killers always do) before there is an attempt made on her life, and Patch will save her in the end although we'll not find out anything more about how he disposed of the killer other than "I sent him to hell."  I'm really REALLY hoping the next two books come up with something new.

This book picks up two months after the first book ended.  It could have (should have) picked up the day after where the first one ended though because there are some huge problems . . . well, for me at least.  In these two months that have passed, apparently all Patch and Nora have done is made out a lot.  Two months into their relationship and she knows nothing more about him, hasn't been to his house, doesn't even know his name yet.  Really?  Those early days of relationships are all about discovering those little things.  I would think that in between all those giggly kissy face moments they'd be learning all about each other.  And especially since he's a freakin' ANGEL.  I'd be asking a billion questions about angels, and heaven, and yes even God.  One thing I liked about the angel book, Embrace, is that it did touch on these things.  Heck, even Bella asked Edward a fair amount of questions about vampires.  Oh, so Patch is secretive.  Oohhhhhh . . . I don't care.  If I was Nora, I'd be asking these questions, and I'm sure if Patch really loved her he'd be willing to share some things.

We don't even know how old he is yet.

But anyway, despite these problems, I really loved parts of this book.  There is too much going on again, and I think if the author had streamlined things, just stuck to one storyline per book, it would have been so much better.  (And she could have gotten at least two more books out of it all.)  In this one, storyline I would have gone with is Nora and Patch breaking up and his new interest in the snotty and slutty Marcie.  I would have skimmed off all the extra stuff with Scott and The Black Hand and Nora's dead father, and saved it for the next book.  Maybe bring Scott back to town in this book, and have Rixon start dating Vee in this book, and maybe even have Nora get a glimpse of what she thinks is the ghost of her father . . . but just set a few stones in place in this book and build the rest of that story in the next one.

Reading all the things about Patch and Marcie together was an absolute kick in the gut.  I loved Patch's wisdom and patience whenever Nora would be ranting about it, his calm "What is this really about?"  His bluntness was once again both cool and aggravating.  His answers to her angry questions were short, to the point, and honest, but they were also infuriating in that he would never explain himself or defend himself.  It would have helped eased some situations, but it was also kinda cool that he wouldn't lower himself to pleading his case.  Then again, to keep using 'the archangels are listening' was sort of a cop-out that was also infuriating.  But whatever.  If this book would have stuck more with the Nora-Patch-Marcie triangle I would have absolutely loved it.  It really did hurt to have to see Nora watch Patch and Marcie be out and about together.  And it really hurt that Patch didn't do anything to try and lessen what Nora saw.

Overall, while I loved *parts* of this book, I was slightly disappointed with it as a whole and most of that was because there was just too much going on.  I still love Patch though!  And I did read the preview chapter for the next book, which looks promising but I fear it will fall back into the same format.  Still, I'm glad I'm finally reading this series, and still digging the whole angels theme.

Have YOU read Crescendo, or the entire Hush, Hush series?  What did you think?  I'd love to hear!

3 comments:

  1. I really liked hush, hush.... I honestly devoured the whole book in one sitting..... I have no life... all I do is read.... I finished the book at three thirty in the morning....


    Kay-Lynn Potter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello.

    I wonder if I'll like the series better if I go back and read it again later. I hated the Mortal Instruments series the first time I tried to read it a few years ago, but I tried again a couple months ago and found I quite like it now. Weird!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete