Saturday, May 26, 2012

Curious About Tart Warmers

I've been melting tarts for years now.  I've tried many styles from many vendors, but what I have not played around with is the type of warmer I use.  I started out with a cheap ceramic warmer that uses tea light candles as the heat source, and I've always been content with them . . . until recently.

These are my current warmers.  I don't use the small one in the middle anymore because I found out that soapstone type is meant more for warming fragrance oils.  Darn, and it's the coolest looking one!  Anyway, the two white ones are my workhorses.  Just simple ceramic cheapies . . . one from Walmart, one from Kmart . . . that use cheapie tea light candles.  They are small and easy to clean, and have melted almost any tart I've put in them (the exception being some partial melts of Candles By Victoria scent shots).  I like that the tea lights will burn themselves out after 3-4 hours, and that those tea lights are cheap and easy to get/replace.

Lately though, I've been hearing people talk about how this type of warmer burns the scents away too fast because they get so hot.  I've heard that using the electric warmers will extend the life of the scents.  Hmmm.

There are decorative warmers that are electric and use a light bulb as the heat source.  Some of them are really nice looking and I've often been tempted to switch to one but I've also heard they don't get hot enough to melt all types of wax, and the replacement bulbs can be hard to get.  Some people say you can probably find the bulbs at any hardware type store but I've never actually checked.

The thing I wonder about these (besides the bulbs) is that if they're not getting hot enough to melt all wax, is the scent throw in general going to be lighter?  I definitely don't want that.  I like my scents strong.

Another type of electric warmer is the hot plate candle warmer style.  This is the type I've been thinking about switching to because I've heard they are the strongest, and because I like the idea of being able to melt some of the problem candles we've encountered.  This type has a removable dish that sits on a hot plate.  Switch on the power, the plate heats the bowl, and the wax melts.  Or take the bowl off, set the candle (in a container!) on the hot plate and it will melt from the bottom up.  I actually did buy two of this style a couple years ago but I returned them because I did not have any available electrical outlets in the areas I like to keep my warmers, and because I decided I was content with my tea light style warmers.

Now though, I've been hearing that this style might also be too hot and burn the scent away too fast.  One scent guru felt her tart performance improved when she switched to this type of warmer.  Another insists these shorten the life of your tarts.  (I suspect in that second case it is more of a personal preference for the bulb style though.)

I would LOVE to try each type of warmer and do some tests, but I don't want to spend that kind of money if I'm not going to use them in the end.  So it got me wondering if anyone has already done some similar tests?  I don't mean 'Oh yeah, I've tried all three styles.'  I mean, someone using the same scent and brand of tart in all three styles in the same room (not at the same time), and actually keeping track of the results.  I watch several scent lovers on YouTube but I don't think anyone has done experimenting like this.  I've seen plenty of videos of people who have a favorite style, and explaining why they like it, but nothing more 'scientific.'

If anyone knows of any videos or blog posts about such experimentation, PLEASE let me know.  If nothing turns up, I might just splurge and explore this myself.

Or if you just have some personal preference reasons for one style over the other, feel free to share in the comments.

Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and I love it =] I have also been melting tarts for years and have recently started trying other types of burners. I find that the ones with bulbs do not get hot enough to melt any of my tarts,even with a 25 watt bulb, which is the biggest mine takes. What I have found that works best for me and gives off the longest scent and throw is the hot plate type or the older little potpourri crocks. If you have tried any other types that work well please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    I'm still sticking with my tea light warmers. The other day I almost bought an electric one (hot plate style) but in the end I put it back on the shelf. I did get some fancy tea light warmers from Yankee for Christmas last year, but didn't really use them much. I'm looking forward to getting them out soon, just for a change of scenery if nothing else. LOL (One is a scarecrow/fall theme, and the other is Christmas themed.)

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are many types of tart warmers, all have there own advantage and be used for some kind of places.
    Not all tart warmers will fit all places, you must choose the most suitable for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can see our products after the admin permission from this link.
    www.mytartwarmers.com
    http://www.mytartwarmers.com/product-category/tart-warmers/candle-warmers/
    http://www.mytartwarmers.com/product-category/tart-warmers/tall-tart-warmers/
    http://www.mytartwarmers.com/product-category/tart-warmers/plug-in-warmers/

    ReplyDelete