Saturday, May 5, 2012

Hush, Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick

Hush, Hush
by Becca Fitzpatrick
(2009)

A sacred oath, a fallen angel, a forbidden love.

When Nora and Patch or forced together as lab partners, Nora would rather fall to her death than put up with his elusive answers to her questions, his teasing, and his infuriatingly handsome face and hypnotizing eyes.  It seems Patch was put on earth just to drive her crazy.

But before long, Nora's defenses start to break down as her curiosity about Patch heats up.  Why does he always seem to be wherever she is and know exactly what she's thinking?  How does he know what to say to both attract and repulse her?  And what's up with those V-shaped scars on his chiseled back?

As their connection grows stronger, Nora's own life becomes increasingly fragile.  Nora needs to decide: Is Patch the one who wants to do her harm or the one who will keep her safe?  Has she fallen for one of the fallen?

Becca Fitzpatrick's New York Times best selling debut is a page-turning leap into the unknown world of fallen angels.  Do you have someone to catch you?

I'm a little late coming to this series although I have been aware of it for a while.  Every time I'd see it in the store I'd be all 'Ooooh what's this one' and then once I had it in my hand I'd remember it was about angels and put it back.  But then I read that other angel book (Embrace, by Jessica Shirvington) and I've been getting sucked into the whole angel thing ever since.

When I first started reading Hush, Hush, I was having trouble getting into it.  I thought Patch was too cocky and snotty, and found it annoying.  It was almost like the author was trying too hard to make him cool.  Then I got sidetracked with reading a different book and when I came back to this one I was pleasantly surprised that it sucked me right in.  For a while I was absolutely glued to this book, didn't want to put it down and couldn't wait to get back to it.  But then things started to fizzle a bit again.  It felt like there was just too much going on at times.  And now that I've just finished it (literally minutes ago), as I think back over everything, yeah, there was indeed a little too much complication.  I understand it was probably meant to keep the reader guessing, and that there was some twists thrown in for excitement, but I think some of the plot points could have been eliminated or even saved for other books.

As the book went on, I really started to warm up to Patch.  His bluntness later on, when Nora was finally starting to get some answers, was sort of ... I don't know ... shocking but also sort of hot.  LOL!  I don't know, I have this thing for deadly power quietly among us.  Edward Cullen could kill in a heartbeat yet moved harmlessly among people every day.  Eric Draven was hellbent on revenge and stopped at nothing to get it yet spared messed up and dope addicted Darla, and even offered her kind words of wisdom.  Even Professor Snape, as unattractive and mean as he was supposed to be, to know the power he had but that he kept in check was just sort of cool.  And now Patch might be moving into that class.  We don't know all there is to know about him yet but the tidbits we've been given and the things that have been hinted at make him darkly cool like the others.  Especially towards the end of the book, when we're still not *quite* sure where he stands, when his moments of kindness and caring start emerging it's like this big 'Awwww!'  Indeed, when Nora is in an extreme situation and calls him out of desperation, and when he shows up, no questions asked and quietly takes care of her, it brought the first tears to my eyes.

I already mentioned it seemed like too much was going on in this book.  Nora is confused and intrigued by Patch and is trying to find things out about him.  She is also trying to learn more about Elliot and Jules, two new mysterious guys in town.  And then there is a recent suicide case that Nora finds Elliot is linked to, so of course she's trying to find out more about it.  Nora's best friend Vee thinks Patch is dangerous and Nora should stay away.  Vee likes Elliot and Jules but Nora thinks THEY are dangerous and Vee should stay away.  There is a mysterious person in a ski mask that appears to stalking Nora . . .  Is it Patch?  Elliot?  Jules?  Oh but wait, there is also the mysterious new school psychologist, and she seems weirdly interested in Nora and extremely anti-Patch.  And then let's throw in some trips into Patch's memories, which I think are meant to explain some things but also seem to add a bit of confusion on their own.  Much of it is indeed explained by the end but still, it seems things could have been streamlined a bit and still been exciting.

I felt a gradual connection to Patch, and by the end could feel the turmoil in his part of the budding relationship . . . but I never really felt that connection with Nora.  She was always too preoccupied with the many problems she was trying to solve and her encounters with Patch were usually full of mixed emotions and denial.  I would have liked to see this book a little more devoted to her learning the mysteries of Patch, let us explore the feelings with her, instead of having to wait for her to run off and do something else and then eventually getting around to Patch again.  Hopefully the next book slows down a bit and lets us really get to know these people more.  It also kind of bothered me that Nora never tries to find out how OLD Patch is once she starts finding out about the angel part of things.  Not to compare to Twilight, but at least Bella caught on that Edward was potentially quite a lot older than he appeared to be.  The readers know Patch is much much older than even Edward Cullen, but I don't think Nora ever touches on the subject of age.  Maybe this will come out later in the series?

The end caught me a little off guard, and I was actually disappointed with one key part.  SPOILERS AHEAD . . . 

I warned you.

SPOILERS . . . Patch is a fallen angel.  His ex-girlfriend, who is still an angel, hasn't gotten over him and tells him how he can get his wings back and he will then be a guardian angel.  Patch doesn't want that, and she thinks it is because guardian angels are sort of low rank.  But really, what Patch wants is to be human.  As I was reading this book I thought that maybe in the end, in the final book of the series, he would become human.  I also thought it might end up that he'd be a guardian angel, but I didn't expect either of these events to happen in this first book.  So yeah, I was a bit shocked that it happened already, and a bit disappointed that he ended up being a guardian angel.  I wonder if there is still a way for him to become human?  It will be interesting to see where the next books take this.

Overall though, I did like this book.  I'm anxious to start reading the next one!

Have YOU read this book, or this series?  I'd love to hear what you thought of it! 

(Heather, this would NOT be one for your daughter.  A lot of making out and half dressed situations and building sexual tension.  lol  The fine print on the book cover suggests ages 14 and up.)


2 comments:

  1. LOL~ Thanks I was getting ready to ask you about it...I saw this at Goodwill and was ready to pick it up for her but at the last minute I put it back..good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny. And I was thinking 'Oh, geez, what if Heather doesn't even read this one?' LOL

    I'm reading the second book in this series now and am totally hooked.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete