Monday, June 11, 2012

The Bathing Garden - Tarts

After my first order from The Bathing Garden (back in May) I was a bit leery at first.  It had seemed like the scent throw was iffy at best, or like it started out strong but seemed to fade fast, even before one tea light had burned out.  But then I noticed after having left my house for something and returning hours later, hours after the tart had been done melting, that the whole darn house was pleasantly scented with that tart I'd been skeptical about.  I'd also noticed that the scent throw seemed to be stronger after I'd let the tarts sit in my little tart cupboard for a while, when I had thought I didn't like them and wasn't going to use them again.  Perhaps, like soap, tarts get better as they cure?

So anyway, I'd been debating ordering more and then when I decided to go for it, her shop was closed due to an injury.  Doh!  When I heard through the YouTube scent lovers grapevine that her shop was open again I raced over and placed an order.

Everything about this shop is just so pretty and girly, from the business card, to the handwritten thank you note, to the tarts themselves.  There are also soaps and scrubs available, and while I have not tried them yet, they look just as nice as everything else.  I've also heard many times that she does a lot of her own custom blends, which is another huge selling point for me.

The single pack of clamshell style tarts sells for $3.50, but you can order a 5, 10, or 20 pack and they will come out to a price of $3.00 instead.  You also get a free gift with every order.  Since there are SO many scents I want to try, I went ahead and got the 5-pack deal this time.  I chose four scents and then sent her a message asking her to surprise me with the fifth one.

Shipping took a bit longer because she's working slower due to that injury, and I'm sure she's swamped with orders judging from the increasing popularity of this shop among the video and blog reviews I've seen.  My order arrived this morning and I was super excited to see TWO free packs!  Thank you, Shannon!!


Blackberry Jam & Lemon Curd - 'Tart and ripe blackberries layered with delicious London lemon curd!'  I've seen this one numerous times in YouTube haul/review videos, and I just had to see what all the fuss was about.  All of her tarts are decorated on top, and the clamshell packaging is filled to the brim.  (This particular one is 3.1 oz. of wax.)  Now, it's true that tarts don't need to be fancied up because they just melt down to liquid anyway, but it's always nice to get something fun.  And it doesn't hurt that this one is Minnesota Vikings colors.  Woot!

Anyway, this is a fabulous scent!  I see why everyone is buying it!  Bright and fruity and fun, there is lemon like the Lemonhead candies and there is a slightly warmer sweetness of the blackberries.  Oh, this will be such a nice one to melt on these summer days.

Sea of Tears - 'This pretty tart begins with fresh air, sea salt, ocean mist and aquatic florals. Green notes and beachy musks round it out. Refreshing and beautiful!'  This is one I'd noticed while browsing her shop and just had to have because I seem to be drawn to 'wet' scents lately . . . like rain or ocean scents.  Ty had gotten me that sea salt/drift wood tart for Mother's Day, and more recently I bought that Garden Rain candle.  This one sounded like it would fit right in that group.  And it does.  I don't even know how to describe it any better than the description already does.  I just have to hope you know what I mean when I say 'wet' scents.  I mean, it is slightly floral and very pretty, but it reminds me more of being outside, of rain, of wet flower gardens, than it does of perfume or plain ol' flowers.  And that little white paper rose in the corner is too dang cute.

London Mist - 'Fresh ozony water notes, blend with white lilies, mandarin, grapefruit, and clementine. Middle notes of jasmine, orchid and rose; with musky base notes of white musk and sandalwood.'  Another one of that 'wet' variety, this one is more fruity and sweet than watery or ozone-y.  I do get hints of the orange-citrus, and slight hints of the musk, blended well with everything else, but I don't specifically notice the sandalwood.  A nice scent, but not as 'wet' as I'd been hoping.

Sparkle & Spice - 'A mild woodsy base leads to oatmeal, nutmeg, caramel, cinnamon, sugar, and somehow it has an effervescent quality to it as well.'   I've been trying to avoid warm, spicy, foodie scents until closer to fall but this one caught my eye.  I couldn't even imagine what this would smell like so I just had to get it and see.  And wow . . . !?  I don't even know where to begin.  The first thing I notice is that effervescent quality as mentioned in the description.  I think the wood notes creep up first behind that bubbliness, and the spices swirl around it all.  But even with all of that going on, there is a sweetness to it.  And it smells familiar.  While wracking my brain, the first thing that came to mind was paint.  LOL!  I don't know why, but it does sort of remind me of paint in a weird way.  Then I realized nooooo, it smells like the cola and root beer flavors in Bottle Caps candy!  But then when I smell it again it seems different.  Oh my, this one will be interesting to melt!

Those are the four scents that *I* picked.  These next three were all a surprise to me.  One would be whatever she picked as the last of my 5-pack, and the other two are freebies.  Let's take a look . . .


Cheshire Cat - 'Lemon meringue is topped with vanilla and raspberry icing.'  There is a whole line of Alice In Wonderland inspired scents in this shop.  This is a very pretty layered style, white-pink swirls on top and a pastel yellow on the bottom.  The scent is equally pretty.  There is something similar to effervescence when you first sniff this one, but maybe that's actually the meringue part of it all.  You get the brightness of the lemon and the sweetness of the raspberry, and then the whole mix is softened and warmed a bit by the vanilla.  A verrrry nice scent, and once again it pays to be surprised with something you might not have picked yourself.

Tropical Jello - 'Apple, pineapple, papaya, apricot, guava, orange, and passion fruit. Fruity and refreshing!'  Look at those little flip-flops!  How cute is that?  Ty says this one reminds him of Air Heads taffy candy.  I agree it is very candy-like.  It's extremely sugary sweet, and if I had to try and pick out any of the fruit notes I think I can detect pineapple and apple the most.  I don't know about this one.  It might be headache-inducingly sweet, but dorky Ty seems to really like it.

Cucumber Patch - I can't find this one in her shop so I don't have a scent description, but what I get from this one is definitely cucumber but with something else that sort of puts it into that 'wet' category I was talking about earlier in this post.  There is a greenery type note, or maybe soft hints of musk or possibly even mint.  This is a very nice scent, and again, something I probably wouldn't have picked turns out to be quite lovely after all.

All of these scents are very strong just on cold throw, so my hopes are high that these will be fine.  Even so, I'll let them sit for a few more days just to be sure they're good and ready.  I think we'll enjoy all of these, and there are still sooooo many more in this shop that I want to try.  I can't wait until closer to fall when I'll start picking the warmer, spicier, foodier, holiday scents!  I think I might try a soap and a scrub next time too.

Have YOU tried any tarts from The Bathing Garden?

7 comments:

  1. I got a ton of tea lights at IKEA a few years ago that I've barely made a dent in, I guess I will be taking the tart plunge and checking out the 3 wick candles at Walmart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the most adorable tarts I've ever seen. You find some great things, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean - Yay for taking the tart plunge! And I was tempted to buy a couple more of those candles when I was at Walmart today.

    Mary - Thanks! But I think your new bundt cake tarts have upped the cuteness factor. :)

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you are liking her tarts!!! When i started making youtube videos she was the only vendor i really had purchased from. As long as her shop is open i will buy her stuff. I love her sugar scrubs too. Also, she is having a Custom Creation Contest that ends this wednesday. I hope you enter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Rashonda.

    I got the details for the contest and have a few ideas but they are rather generic and ordinary. I'm not sure if I'll enter, but I'm really looking forward to see what everyone else comes up with! Did you enter??

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb!

    I have an order from Bathing Gardens coming in tomorrow! Can't wait to try them! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see what you got! :)

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete