Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Cravebox


 I think monthly subscription boxes are fun.  Back when I was a kid, the hot thing among all the moms was something that I think was called the S.A.V.E. box.  It was always filled with kitchen gadgets and food/drink things to try.  I'd forgotten all about this in my adult years, until last year when I learned about Birchbox on YouTube, and then found out about other boxes.  When my brain finally recalled those old S.A.V.E. boxes I tried to find them online, see if they were still in business.  Sadly, it appears they are not.

Anyway, I did try Birchbox for a few months but decided it wasn't for me.  While it was fun to receive that box of goodies each month, it is a beauty box and while I thought it would be a fun way to start playing around with such products, the fact is I've gone this long without wearing makeup and I just couldn't even get myself started trying these things.

Then I tried Eco-Emi, which has a broader range of products (food, skincare, candles, makeup, etc.) and is all eco-friendly.  While I did use more of these products, it again became a situation where I thought it would be more fun if they were things I'd actually buy again, or at least be able to find again.  So I cancelled that one too after only a couple months.

And then I heard about Cravebox.  This one had just recently started and was still in beta testing, but this was the one I knew I had to get in on.  They had things like color Bic markers, Downey wrinkle release spray, snack bars, drink mixes . . . things you can find anywhere and will most likely use.  Yessss!  I got onto the waiting list right away.  And waited.  And waited.  And waited, waited, waited.  Those who had kept close tabs on things during the wait had been told to email a certain address and get bumped up to the 'first group' that would be notifiied when more spots opened up.  I did this.  And the wait continued.  Then finally, all of the impatient people on that waiting list were informed that Cravebox would soon be opening up more subscription spots.  Woot!  We were told that on whatever date (something in late April) we'd receive an email and from there we would be able to register on the website and then in the days after that something like 500 people would be chosen.  Response was overwhelming so they said they would extend registration a day and add more spots.  And then . . . I got email notification that I was not one of the lucky new subscribers.  Huh???

I was pissed.

I went to the Cravebox Facebook page and found other people angry like I was.  The common feeling was, why did we all jump through hoops and sit on the list for months only to have the same odds of getting in as someone who signed up two minutes before the deadline?  I was pissed, as I said, and I voiced my opinion on their page along with everyone else.  Then I sort of kicked the whole Cravebox idea to the curb in an angry huff.

A week or two goes by and one day I get an email letting me know 'You're in!'  Whaaaaa . . . ?  Sure enough, it is from Cravebox,  Apparently they'd added even more subscription spots and this time I'd gotten one.  My excitement was back and I raced over to their website to properly register an account.  They said on their Facebook page that the boxes would be going out in the next few days, and I received a shipping notice on May 30.  Woohoo!!  Then my box sat in a town just over an hour away for 3 days, then went to Chicago, then back to Madison, then to another town less than an hour away, where it sat another day before FINALLY being delivered this morning.  Why it went on such a journey, I don't know, but I was so excited when the mailman finally dropped it off!

When I first opened the box I found the pink Cravebox paper you see in the first picture.  Under that I found what you see in this second picture.  There is the usual card of information about the products in the box, and then there are some extra little papers specific to some of the products. 

This was among those extra papers, a sample of Lipton Tea & Honey drink mix, in Mango Pineapple flavor.  I actually had another one of these recently from signing up for it on the Lipton Facebook page.  It tastes pretty good, so it was fun to see another one.

These two 1 oz. packages of diced dried plums were in the box.  It suggests using these in salads, cereals, yogurt, or favorite baking recipes.  I'll probably try them in some cereal.  There is also a coupon, some recipes, and a survey offer that give coupons for more free Sunsweet products.

Who doesn't love chocolate?  I was happy to see this 2.3 oz. box of Guylian - Artisanal Belgian Chocolate truffles.  I don't know that I've tried this brand, so this will be fun.  There is also a little pamphlet about the company and some of their other products.

I've never heard of this company but this is a 2 oz. jar of Skinterscetion's Intense Repair Cream.  Very cool.  The menfolk of the house have some nasty feet and elbows, but I'm sure it will be me who uses this.

And finally, I was super excited to see this Tree Hut brand shea sugar body scrub in Coconut Lime scent.  This is one of the brands I've looked at several times while shopping but have yet to try.  Now I can!  And this is a full size, 18 oz. jar!

So this is pretty darn good first box for me.  Cravebox is $10 a month, and if you look at what I have, the full sized Tree Hut scrub sells for around $11 and the full sized Intense Repair Cream sells for $17.95.  Right there you've gotten nearly triple your money's worth.  I'm soooo happy I finally got in!  If you're at all interested, I suggest you check out the Cravebox website.  I'm not sure if they still have openings, or when more spots will be available, but it might worth it to get signed up.  Despite my frustrating journey in getting here, I'm happy to finally be member and already can't wait for the next box!!

4 comments:

  1. Sweet, this is like giving yourself a birthday present every month without knowing what you're getting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, and I have to try and not look online to sneak peek what's coming in the box. They give out clues, and some people get theirs and immediately post . . . so I tried to stay away from that this time, and will try harder in the future. (I knew there was going to be something from Tree Hut this time.)

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was having an impulsive day when I read this so I signed up for one month of a subscription service too. I'll probably have forgotten about it when it arrives so that'll be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh! Which one? Birchbox? Tell me tell me tell me!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete