Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Moeggenborg Sugar Bush - June Haul

When I rediscovered the joys of Moeggenborg Sugar Bush's goat milk soap recently, I knew I'd be placing an order for more eventually.  Then Mary had to go and tempt me on Facebook by showing the new style tarts she was making . . . I couldn't hold off any longer.

I ordered a few different things but it was still a small order.  So when I opened the rather large shipping box and saw this basket in there, I was like 'Ohhhhh, Mary . . . what did you do?'  She has been generous with extra little treats before.  I couldn't wait to see what was in here!

First, there is always a thank you/business card, and this time Mary joked about my tart addiction.  I'm not as close to that 12-step program as most of the YouTube scent lovers I've seen!  LOL

As my other posts have mentioned, Moeggenborg Sugar Bush is so much more than handcrafted soap and tarts.  They are maple syrup producers (syrup farmers?!) and you'll find maple something or other in many of there products.  They have a pantry section on their website and when I noticed in my latest browsing that they had custom blend coffee, I knew I had to get some for hubby.  And it's Maple Nut flavor!  I don't drink coffee but I love the smell of it.  Hubby loves to drink it, so it all works out.

This half pound bag of whole bean coffee sells for $6.50 on the website.  It smells divine!  (Hubby hasn't actually tried it yet though, since we just received it yesterday.)

Next, I peeked into that basket and found this.  Oh, how I laughed.  Yep, she loaded me up.
This was ALL tucked into that little basket.  Thank you, Mary!!!

Country Roads - 'Luscious berry blend of strawberries, mountain berries, raspberries, peaches, plums, tangerines and ripe figs. The heart blends fresh lilacs, blue violets, hyacinth, sweet pine and woody cedar. The base is oak moss, musk, vanilla, woody vetiver. To us it brings to mind a walk down our country road in the spring and fall.'  I only ordered one bar of soap this time.  (Still trying to get my stash worked down . . . )  Hubby says he gets a sort of grape note when he smells this one, but I tend to pick up more of the slightly spicy, woody, musky notes.  There is a sweetness under it all, making it a complex and unique scent.  I think men would like this scent, but I think it's still unisex.  I had no idea what to expect when I ordered it, but I like it.

This 4.3 oz. bar sells for $4.00 on the website.

And this is the little baby that made me order.  This is one of Mary's new mini bundt cake tarts, and how awesomely cute is that?!  Hubby thought it was cool that it even has the 'glaze' drizzled over it.  And of course, it is their signature Maple Syrup Festival scent - 'This is our own blend of maple scents named in honor of the Shepherd Maple Syrup festival. It is sweet and mapley and makes your mouth water.'  Ohhhh my gawd, I love this scent.  I've had it before and I will order it again.  I don't know just what is all in this custom blend but is definitely maple, first and foremost.  There almost seems to be a soft, spicy note, maybe cinnamon ... ?  I don't know, but I love this one.


Primitive Pear - 'A sophisticated blend of bergamot, pear nectar and ripe, orchard apples is enhanced by heady garden florals of jasmine, lily, rose, pear blossoms, and gardenia, intertwined with precious woods and vanilla.'  I wasn't sure what to expect from this scent either but I chose it just to try something different.  It is indeed a pear scent, which is good because I love pears but don't know that I've ever had a pear scent in tarts.  There are also subtle notes of perfumey floral, and then there is very slight sort of spicy note again.  This is quite nice, and quite different.

Blueberry Cobbler - 'The aroma of a freshly baked blueberry cobbler. Top notes of juicy tart blueberries with orange zests, middle notes of butter cake, and base notes of vanilla and almond.'  I ordered this one for two reasons.  First, everyone in the YouTube scent lovers community is talking about blueberry scents lately.  Second, because my sister loves the Blueberry Muffin tarts from Walmart but can't find them anymore, so I wondered if this would be something close.  It's not.  This one is nothing like I'd expected.  I'm really hoping it's different when it melts because I'm not getting very much from the cold scent.  I don't get any of the bakery notes at all, no butter or cake or vanilla.  I'm not even really getting any blueberry from the cold throw either.  The little scent I get is sort of a bright soapy scent, or maybe a fruit flavored bubble gum.  It's not the warm, bakery scent I'd thought it would be.

These mini bundt cake tarts are so cute!  They're bigger than I'd expected.  I will cut them in fourths and melt one chunk at a time.  They weigh 2.8 oz. and sell for $2.50 on the website.  That's a darn good price!  And the way they are packaged makes them perfect for gift giving.  I can't wait to see if Mary does some Christmas colored/scented ones.  I'd even like to see some black/orange Halloween ones.  Fun!

And then there are the extras she tossed in.  I was giggling like a kid as I pulled each thing out of the basket.  On the left is one of the 'itty bitty bars' that used to be available in the shop.  These were one ounce sample bars of soap, made to look just like the full sized bars, and packaged so cute.  This one is in Fairy Tales scent - 'a light, fresh fruity yet floral blend with notes of night blooming jasmine, musk, and a touch of vanilla.'  I don't want to tear the packaging open, but I've had this scent before and know that it is a light, pretty scent.

In the middle are some pink grubby tarts in Raspberry Jasmine Spice scent.  I don't see a description anywhere on the site.  I was quite intrigued when I saw this.  Wow, this is an interesting scent.  At first it seems you do get the raspberry note but then you immediately think 'No, wait, it's spicy,' and then you question whether it was the fruit or the floral that you were smelling in the first place.  This would make an excellent soap scent!

Finally, on the right are some grubby tarts in Cider Mill scent - 'Apples, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Brown Sugar.'   I've been avoiding fall scents even though they are starting to pop up all over the handmade community.  Fall is my absolute favorite time of year, and I loooooooove the scents that come with it.  I don't want to rush into it before it's here.  Ah, but here it comes with this freebie!  I was tempted to throw it in the back of my little tart cupboard and not even sniff it.  LOL!  While cider scents are not really my favorites of fall, they do still kickstart all the fall feelings when I smell them.  This one does that.  A little heavier on the spices and sugar than on the apple, it is an awesome scent . . . and I've only allowed myself a couple quick sniffs for the sake of this post.  *quickly repackages and throws that sucker to the back of the stash*

The basket itself is just as cute as anything in this order.  It's about 7 in. by 4 in. and could be used for any number of things.  I thought I might put it on my kitchen table as a napkin holder, sitting right next to the Moeggenborg candle that's already there . . . but Minion has decided this basket is perfect for gnawing on, and I'm sure he'd be on the table to chomp on it whenever we're not looking.  So now I don't know what to do with it.  Perhaps it will go up on top of the kitchen cupboards just like one of my other Moeggenborg goodies.  Mary, you're doing a fine job decorating my kitchen!!  :)

But anyway, another fun order from Moeggenborg Sugar Bush.  If you haven't checked out their website, I really think you should.  They have such a variety of things, and the handcrafted goat milk soap is fantastic! 
Minion approved!!

13 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Deb. It's always fun packaging up a box for you. I'll have to investigate a blueberry muffin scent. It might be closer to what you sister liked.
    Stay cool!!
    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh . . . I am melting here. We don't have central air or anything, so we're pretty miserable. It's 93 right now. At least there is a nice breeze!

    The older I get, the more I want to give in and get an air conditioner.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you. We don't have AC either. I have a fan in the basement pulling cool air up here so it is bearable - but just barely. Can't wait for fall - it's my favorite season too (next to Christmas)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm soooo tempted to go get one right now. The forecast for tomorrow looks worse than today! There is a drastic cooldown coming Thursday, but YUCK, I don't know if I want to tolerate even one more day of this.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. How was shipping? I'm thinking of placing an order...but I can't decide on what..everything look so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shipping has always been fast, and this particular package cost about $6.50. That's between what you'd pay for a small and a medium flat rate box, so it's not bad.

    Hubby loves the coffee, says the flavor is strong but not overpowering. I *love* the scent . . . maple and coffee combo. MMMM!

    I've tried one of the tarts so far. A fourth of the Blueberry one had very light scent throw in my large rooms. I like stronger scents, so I will pass that one on to my sister who has smaller rooms and likes the blueberry scent anyway.

    I hope you order, and I hope you do a video of what you got! :)

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. That coffee sounds like it would smell amazing.

    What a cool thing for her to do! Very nice! That basket looks really cool.

    Gnawing ... Minion must be part ferret.

    That's funny that you didn't smell bakery-type scent in the blueberry one because that's what I smelled when I sniffed it! Ha :) Nope, didn't smell the same as my beloved Better Homes & Gardens Walmart blueberry muffin. I've only melted one of the sections you cut, and I barely smelled it. I think I'll melt two the next time. What I did smell was pleasant, but it was barely there.

    All of her stuff is so cute! So nicely packaged.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kurth loves the coffee. Mom tried and liked it. She said she'd never had flavored coffee, said it was "different." (Didn't she have something flavored at Starbucks that time??)

    The other bundt tarts I melted were on the lighter side too. They were nice, but I like them a lot stronger.

    I put that basket on top of the clutter-free refrigerator, kinda next to/behind the small fake plant that is up that. It looks so awesome in it's simplicity!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool!

    I always hesitate with stuff like that in the kitchen because of the greasy film that ends up on everything in the kitchen. Do you get that? Thank God for Greased Lightning.

    Not sure what Mom got. Oh well, she's old. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, luckily no one here cooks much! The greasy film is limited to the microwave. LOL

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, well that's good! I figured the greasy kitchen film that you don't realize is there until you touch something ornamental was universal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The film from Kurth's cigarette smoke seals the grease layer in.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well at least it's sanitary then.

    ReplyDelete