Friday, June 1, 2012

Silence - Becca Fitzpatrick

Silence
by Becca Fitzpatrick
(2011)

When silence is all that's left, can the truth finally be heard?

Nora Grey can't remember the past five months of her life.  After the initial shock of waking up in a cemetery and being told the she has been missing for weeks -- with no one knowing where she was or who she was with -- she tries to get her life back on track.  Go to school, hang out with her best friend, Vee, and dodge her mom's creepy new boyfriend.

But there is this voice in the back of her head, an idea that she can almost reach out and touch.  Visions of angel wings and unearthly creatures that have nothing to do with the life she knows.

And this unshakable feeling that a part of her is missing.

Then Nora crosses paths with a sexy stranger, whom she feels a mesmerizing connection to.  He seems to hold all the answers . . . and her heart.  Every minute she spends with him grows more and more intense until she realizes she could be falling in love.  Again.

*** MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS ***

This is the third book in the Hush, Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick.  In the early parts of this book I thought it was fabulous.  Nora was intent on finding out what had happened to her, trying to so hard to bring back those lost memories.  It was so cool when flashes of black seemed to trigger something in her but she had no idea why.  I thought this book was going to be brilliant!  Then it brought Patch back to her too soon for my liking, and all the mystery and confusion seemed to just be tossed aside and the story marched on like nothing had happened.

I will admit, I read this book slower than the other two, read it in choppy little bits and often didn't retain much from the few pages I'd read the day before.  I do wonder if this story would have gone more smoothly for me if I'd been more dedicated in my reading.  Then again, was the story just not grabbing me enough to *want* to keep reading?  I don't know, but I do know that in the end I didn't like this book much.  There is still confusion for me . . . Why couldn't Patch tell her he loved her in the second book but now in this one he's telling her openly and all the time?  How many sides are there in this ongoing battle?  Why is one Nephil ok but another is not?  Why isn't Nora Nephilim if she's a descendant of both Chauncey and Hank?  Are there only a handful of fallen angels and archangels -- because it seems they can always get exactly who they need to talk to exactly when they need it.  How many freakin' angels and/or Nephilim are in this dang town???  And so on.

I got tired of Nora's snotty attitude in everything she said, regardless who she was talking to.  I fell out of love with Patch and don't feel any bond between them.  He's always Mr. Serious Important All-Knowing Guy, and then his warm and caring attempts just seem out of place.  His dramatic statements about how much he loves and needs Nora just made me roll my eyes.  And once again, there is too much going on.  What's going on with Scott?  With Marcie?  With Hank?  Why are the Nephilim banding together?  Who is really the bad guy this time?  Oh Dabria's back too?  Great!  Ugh.  It all seemed so long and drawn out, that things were going to great extremes just to get one stupid teenage human girl.

Again, maybe I'd feel differently if I'd read this quicker and stuck with the story, but it seems that my interest in this series has weakened a bit with each book.  As of this very moment, I have no interest in the fourth (and final) book, which comes out this fall.

And that's a bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment