Sunday, July 22, 2012

Front Porch Candle Co. - Tarts

Front Porch Candle Co. seems to be the wax shop that everyone is raving about at the moment.  I looked at the site, as I always do when someone mentions shops that are new to me, but had no intention of ordering for a variety of reasons.  Well obviously I caved and placed an order . . . but as you see, it was a tiny order.

I'm not sure what's going on at Front Porch but selection is iffy and limited, and the shop itself was closed the first several days I tried to order.  Maybe it's all due to an increase in business because of all the YouTubers spreading the word?  The turn around time is also a bit longer than other shops, 5-7 business days last time I checked.  I placed my order on a Thursday morning and received it the following Friday, so it was within that 5-7 days but it seemed like forever.

Well anyway, let's take a look at my micro-haul . . .

Grapes & Huckleberries - 'A sweet blend of tart ripe grapes and sour huckleberries. Wonderful fruity aroma!'  This was a funny one.  When I first opened the little baggie to sniff, I couldn't smell anything but hubby, on the other end of the couch, said "Whoooo!  That's a strong one!"  I was like, "Seriously??" and Casey, an equal distance away, also said he could smell it.  They both said it was grape, so yeah, they were smelling it.  But I smelled NOTHING?!  I can smell it now, but in those first moments I was rather freaked out.  LOL!  Anyway, yeah, it's very grape-y.  Although actually, now that I sniff it again as I write this, it seems to have morphed a bit and a more berry type note is present.  Still grape, but also more of something else now.  It's an interesting scent, fun for summer.

Cherries Jubilee Ice Cream - '(In House Blend) One of your favorite ice cream flavors in a candle. Cherries infused with rich ice cream, heavy on the cream.'  This one is really nice, sort of a cherry-vanilla type scent.  You get the cherry first and strong, but it is very nicely softened by the sweetness of the ice cream.  And this one was kind of funny too because *I* could smell it and my menfolk couldn't until I pulled it out of the baggie and waved it around.  Can't wait to melt this one.

(Funny side note - Minion does not like this one at all.  It was sitting on the desk as I wrote this, he jumped up and sniffed it, and jumped back about a foot, squinty eyed and angry looking.  LOL!)

These two scents I got might seem like odd choices but like I said, selection is iffy.  If you look at the scent descriptions list you'll find tons of amazing scents and a lot of custom blends that I would love to try, but when you get to the actual ordering area you'll find the choices are severely limited and always changing.  Shipping is always free though, so I would suggest if you see something you want, grab it immediately because it will most likely be gone next time you look.  I've heard that she does combine orders, and I've heard that people check back daily and add to their previous order, but I'm not sure if you need to send her a message about combining or what.

The tarts I got are 'Individual Grubby Tarts' and cost $1.75 each.  At first I thought this was high for one little tart, but when you figure that shipping is always free . . . it works out in the end.  They weigh 1 oz. each.  I will melt the whole thing because I like strong scents, and because I don't like messing around with cutting tarts, but I think just half a tart would be fine for smaller areas or if you like lighter scents.  They really are cute, and I like the way are packaged.  I just hope she can get settled into her business so availability is more steady and reliable.  Maybe once the rush has worn off from all the new fans from YouTube, things will even out for her.  I know what it's like to be a one woman show who also works full-time outside the home, from back in my soap making/selling days.

There were no little extras in my order . . . no samples, no business card, not even a 'Thank you' scribbled onto the invoice.  That makes things seem a little 'cold,' but again, I'm hoping it's because she's crazy busy and will settle in time.  I will melt these two that I have, and if the scent/throw is decent enough I will keep my eye on this shop to possibly nab some fall/holiday scents.

Have YOU tried Front Porch Candle Co.?  I'd love to hear about it!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Don't forget to enter my July giveaway . . . HERE!
Your chance to win a Julep nail polish prize package worth
over $140
is just a simple comment-entry away!






5 comments:

  1. LOL at Minion!

    That's weird and funny about the not being able to smell the thing while they were spazzing about it.

    The cherry one sounds nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's such a dorky cat. Something new every day with that one!

    I have the grape one going right now and am happy to report that the scent and throw are plenty strong enough for my taste. :)

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay :)

    Have you melted the cherry one yet and did Minion survive?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have not melted the cherry one yet. I have the grape one going again today. Still has scent this second time around but is a lot lighter. I think two melts is all I'll get, which is good. Lately I've been tossing everything after just one melt anyway.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny--when I asked that I'd gotten lost in my reading/posting and forgotten this was the post from YESTERDAY. Lol.

    ReplyDelete