Sunday, July 15, 2012

Passion - Lauren Kate

Passion
by Lauren Kate
(2011)

What if you find your soul mate . . . at the wrong time?

Luce would die for Daniel.

And she has. Over and over again. Throughout time, Luce and Daniel have found each other, only to be painfully torn apart: Luce dead, Daniel left broken and alone. But perhaps it doesn’t need to be that way. . . .

Luce is certain that something—or someone—in a past life can help her in her present one. So she begins the most important journey of this lifetime . . . going back eternities to witness firsthand her romances with Daniel . . . and finally unlock the key to making their love last.

Cam and the legions of angels and Outcasts are desperate to catch Luce, but none are as frantic as Daniel. He chases Luce through their shared pasts, terrified of what might happen if she rewrites history.

Because their romance for the ages could go up in flames . . . forever.

Sweeping across centuries, PASSION is the third novel in the unforgettably epic FALLEN series.


*** MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS ***

Ok, I'm obviously just not getting something in this series.  I liked the first book.  I couldn't decide if I was just frustrated by the second book or if I really hated it.  And now I've finished the third and, well, I just don't see how so many people can be so in love with this series.  I must be looking too hard or expecting too much.

In the first two books, we learned about the relationship between Luce and Daniel.  She is a human girl.  He is an ageless fallen angel.  Their relationship has been cursed for some reason . . . they will meet and fall in love, and she will die only to be reincarnated and have the cycle begin again.  We only know a little bit about all that from the story so far, and added to that is a mix of good angels and bad angels and a group called Outcasts, and the vague bits of information about how everyone is after Luce now but we really don't know why.  And then there are those stupid shadow 'Announcers' that seem to be whatever the author needs them to be at any given time.  And by the end of the second book we've been given tons of snippets of information about things the seem to be important, but nothing is ever fully explained or taken care of.

The end of the second book had an angry and frustrated Luce escaping the chaos by stepping into an Announcer, determined to find some answers in her past lives.  The third book begins with her trying to do just that.  She is dumped in the 1941 version of her life, in Moscow.  This could be interesting!  Right??  Nope, this book was doomed from the start for me when it became time travel that she could actively take part in.  Let me just say, I *hate* time travel.  It is one of those things where you can pretty much make up your own rules as you go, and I've found over the last few years that I need set rules and boundaries.  I need things to make sense and be explainable and complete.  So when Luce pops back to 1941 and actually interacts with her family . . . ha, nope, you've lost me already.

But ok, whatever, I'll just try to enjoy each little mini story as she hops farther and farther back, visiting a variety of her previous lives.  Except . . . there's nothing gained, nothing learned in these adventures.  Isn't she supposed to be looking for a way to break the curse?  Isn't she looking for the beginning of it all?  Then why are we just given sad story after sad story, and have to sit through her endless realizations of how much she loves and always loved Daniel.  And ooooohhhhhhhh he loves her too.  Aaawwwwwww.  Except, hello, we already knew that.  I thought she was looking for information, for a solution?!

So not only is Luce hopping from past life to past life, but we find that Daniel is too.  He set off on his journey to find her and bring her back to the present before she inadvertently does any damage in the past.  He keeps showing up one step behind her though.  What?  Why?  So the book hops from her side of things in one chapter, to his side of things in the next chapter.  We're told that the Announcers take you to a place you 'need' to go, not always where you 'want' to go.  This would mean that each of the stops on this adventure should have some point, some reason for bringing them to these particular places in time.  Luce just sees over and over again 'Oooohhhhh, we really DO love each other!' and Daniel just sees some after effect of her death.  I don't see either one of them ever gaining any knowledge from anything.

The past lives got to be ridiculous after a while too.  At first she was just a simple girl in war torn Moscow, but as the book went on it was far fetched things like being a friend of Shakespeare, or posing as the last Shang ruler, or being a Mayan sacrifice, or crazy things like that.  Daniel was always the hero of the day.  It got old fast.  And it was all very confusing.  Rules were bent or rewritten along the way . . . the typical inconsistencies I've complained about before.

And in the end I *still* don't understand what any of it proved.  It seemed like a book of fluff, of filler, to try and drag a story out.  Nothing important was learned to advance the story.  The big exciting scene where Daniel supposedly realized 'Aha, this is where I can change everything!' was so cheesy and lame  Really?  The 'conditions' that were placed on the revised curse were ridiculous.

I just. don't. get. it.

Parts of this third book, I liked.  Small bits were fabulous, like Daniel sleeping for days at one of Luce's graves.  Those bits should have been the focus, should have been built upon to make what could have been a good, emotional journey.  But the way this book is written is just a waste.  Lame, confusing bits strung together to advance a possibly good story that's bogged down with too many things left unexplained.  And the weird thing is, I feel *BAD* about just not understanding the thrill of it all.  I will read the fourth/final book because I bought it, but I'm not even excited about it.  I really don't care anymore, and that's sad because there IS a potentially good story lurking in all this.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Don't forget to enter my July giveaway . . . HERE!
Your chance to win a Julep nail polish prize package worth
over $140
is just a simple comment-entry away!

5 comments:

  1. Bummer. Sorry to hear your angels aren't working out for you.

    It's funny--from the book description up top I actually thought it sounded really good until the angel stuff came into it. Lol! Oops. I'm not anti-angel-book per se; I just thought it sounded like a cool story without the supernatural element (well, I guess time travel itself is one). But then maybe it would just be The Time-Traveler's Wife, which I have not read but have been told to read by multiple people who cried their eyes out reading it. I was going to ask if you'd read that book or planned to ever, but I had forgotten you hate time travel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck for the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stevie was telling about the movie for The Time-Traveler's Wife, and insisted that I just have to see it. I don't know if she read the book too . . . ? But she knows I hate time travel, and still insists that I must watch it. Maybe someday I'll watch it or read it.

    As for the next book, I'm totally struggling, forcing myself to read it. I just don't care anymore and am anxious to move on to other books in my Waiting To Be Read pile. As a series overall, I think I prefer the Hush, Hush series, and that seems funny because I think I'd gotten crabby and frustrated with that one too. I'll have to go back and read my posts about those.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I realized this morning that I'm starting to skim pages just to finish the final book. Ha, not good. (I'm about 3/4 through.)

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete