Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rapture - Lauren Kate

Rapture
by Lauren Kate
(2012)

The sky is dark with wings. . . .

Like sand through an hourglass, time is running out for Luce and Daniel. To stop Lucifer from erasing the past, they must find the place where the angels fell to earth.


Dark forces are after them, and Daniel doesn’t know if he can do this—live only to lose Luce again and again. Yet together they face an epic battle that will end with lifeless bodies . . . and angel dust. Great sacrifices are made. Hearts are destroyed.


And suddenly Luce knows what must happen. For she was meant to be with someone other than Daniel. The curse they’ve borne has always and only been about her—and the love she cast aside. The choice she makes now is the only one that truly matters. In the fight for Luce, who will win?


The astonishing conclusion to the FALLEN series. Heaven can’t wait any longer.


*** MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS ***

I couldn't even finish this book.  The story had gotten so ridiculous to me that I was just skimming by about page 300, and plain old gave up around 390 . . . out of a 488 page book.  Yeah, I couldn't even stick with it just that much  more.  I just *hated* where the story went!  I didn't care any more about these people, about the curse, about the increasingly far fetched story.  Ok, I just noticed while paging through the end of the book that apparently the curse was not broken after all.  Hmm, well that tidbit is a little interesting to me, but everything else leading up to it was nonsense.

I know there are people who love this series.  They say it's a beautiful, epic love story.  For probably three and half of the four books I didn't feel any connection between Luce and Daniel, much less some grand, ageless love.  Too much time is spent reminding us how much they love each other, but not enough time letting them interact and showing us that love.  To have Daniel show up and hug or kiss her and have the narrative tell us yet again how their souls fit together gets old.  Too much time flying around, carrying her, and her swooning over how good it felt to be in his arms, but no real interaction.

I could just spew out all the spoilers and continue to natter on about why I hated this book, but I won't, simply because I'm sure there are more people who DO like this series.

I think what really turned it all off for me was that it became increasingly more fantasy and adventure.  You know, that's fine if the whole series is meant to be that way, but this one started out so normal . . . as in everyday common realistic life on earth.  By the end there were creatures, and no one was human anymore, and we were on Indiana Jones type quests through space and time, and we were flying through Heaven and standing in arguments between God and Lucifer, and . . . ugh.

So this was just not the series for me.  It makes me want to revisit my posts about the Hush, Hush series, and makes me look forward to the release of the final book in that one.  Where I thought I was frustrated and turned off by that series in favor of this one, I'm now seeing I very much preferred it.  And I'm definitely looking forward to starting a new book tonight, a book that is not angels or even Young Adult.  Yay!

3 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, though I seem to have hated the books, I think I would like the movies. Doh!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That's funny! (the movie comment)

    Yeesh, bummer it was so bad you couldn't even finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did go back and force myself to read the end. Parts of it were interesting, but too much of the story overall was 'Really? You had to go THAT far with things?' A slimmed down version of the main story would be good.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete