Thursday, July 26, 2012

Sweet Fixations - Large Sale Haul (Tarts)

Just last week I posted about my very first order from Sweet Fixations.  (Read that post HERE.)  I was so impressed with the few I'd gotten that when I saw she was having a sale over the weekend I went ahead and got a bunch more.  And that order arrived today.  Yay!

Lots of fall colors in there, right?  Yep, I went ahead and got those scents I've been trying to hold off on.  But even though I have them, they will still be shoved to the back of my little tart cupboard until the end of August at least.

I ordered 24 individual scallop tarts, and received four extra tarts free.  On her website, she has a thing that says if you are a YouTuber or blogger she will throw in extra goodies in return for reviews.  I sent her an email letting her know about my blog and my first post.  While she never did reply to that email, she did mention my blog in the thank you note written on the back of her business card, and I'm assuming the four extra tarts are because of that.  THANK YOU, Tia!

There is no way I'd have the patience to take pics of each individual tart and then post them all at once, so I'll just to a quick list of what I got, with the scent description from the site, and a quick first thought about each.  I'll try to do more indepth, individual posts as I melt each one.

Banana Caramel Cupcake - 'Vanilla cupcake mixed with bananas, caramel, cinnamon and topped with cream cheese frosting.'  Have had this before and LOVE it.  Sweet caramel, slight banana, and yummy cupcake.

Vanilla Bean Noel - 'Blend of buttery vanilla, cookie and caramel.'  This is a super popular Bath & Body Works scent that I'm not overly familiar with.  It's a very nice vanilla scent, almost slightly perfume-y instead of bakery.  Nice, I like it.

Cranberry Orange Spice - 'Tart cranberries, orange zests, and spiced apples.'  Ohhhh, love this one!  Very fall-like, more Halloween type than Thanksgiving type.  I don't notice the apples specifically but they do offer sweetness to the tartness of the cranberries and the zing of the orange.  It's softly spicy.

S'Mores - 'Sticky sandwich of graham crackers, toasted marshmallow, and melted chocolate. Very authentic!'  Seems everyone is all about S'mores scent, so I had to see what all the fuss was about.  This is a yummy scent.  I actually get the marshmallow scent in this, which is cool because usually marshmallow is a weak note.  I also get the chocolate and even the light graham cracker notes.  Like!

Apple Harvest - 'Apple mixed with fruity notes and touches of spice.'  Very much apple and spice, but whatever the other fruits are lend it a sort of sweet perfume type note.  Nice, but I think I prefer plain ol' cinnamon-apple type scents more.

Baked Apples - 'Baked warm spices combine with cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, fresh apple and vanilla.'  Not a heavy scent, apple-y and softly spiced, with some warm sweetness from the vanilla.

Butter Brickle Crunch - 'Vermont maple, toffee bits, and creamy butter.'  Ohhh, YUM!  Similar to that maple butterscotch something-or-other from the Walmart tarts.

Caramel - 'Rich caramel scent.'  Rather lightly scented at the moment, hope it's stronger when melted.  Basic, yummy caramel.  The color matches caramels perfectly, makes me want to bite into this one.

Chocolate Chip Cookies - 'The wonderful smell of freshly baked cookies with semi-sweet chocolate and vanilla.'  At first I thought it was just the chocolate chips scent, but then the after-notes come in and you really do get the cookie part of it.

Cranberry Marmalade - 'Spiced apples, orange zests, and tart cranberries.'  Similar to the Cranberry Orange Spice one, this one seems much more of a cranberry scent.  There is almost a wine or cider feel to this one.  I like the Cranberry Orange Spice one better.

Gingerbread - 'Richly spiced gingerbread, nutmeg, and clove with just the right hint of sweetness.'  Yummers!  This is more of a gingerbread scent, not the sweeter cookie type scent.

Graham Crackers - 'Crispy graham crackers with honey, wheat, sugar, and cinnamon.'   I probably wouldn't have even considered this one if I hadn't recently seen multiple YouTubers raving about graham scents.  It is nice, sort of sweet and 'warm,' but rather plain for me.  Maybe it will wow me when it's warm.

Hansel & Gretel's House - 'Vanilla frosting, cinnamon sticks, and toasted graham crackers with juicy raisins.'  I've had this from other vendors before and always love it.  I always thought it was just a sweet gingerbread cookie type scent until reading this particular description.  Oohhhh yeah, still love it.  It's warm and cozy and sweet, buttery and vanilla-y, and just traces of spice.  LOVE!

Harvest - 'Cinnamon bark and clove bud on a dry down of musk.'  I don't think I've ever smelled the actual Yankee scent that this is dupe of, but I'm finding I quite like this.  You'd think it would be a strong, sharp, spicy scent but it's actually quite mellow.  It's a pretty scent with some spice in it, perfect for fall.

Mulled Cider - 'Apple cider, vanilla and cinnamon. A warm and inviting aroma!'  I already have a Mulled Cider in my fall tarts stash, so I'm not sure why I ordered this one.  It's nice though, a typical apple cider scent.

Pumpkin Pie - 'A warm and scrumptious blend of pumpkin pie filling, spices, and sweet creamy vanilla.'  Of course I had to get a bunch of pumpkin scents!  This one is stronger on the pumpkin, and then the slight bakery notes from the crust sneak in behind it.  Wonderfully traditional fall scent.

Pumpkin Souffle - 'Butter, sugar, spices, vanilla cream and pumpkin.'  This is the most bakery type of the three pumpkin scents I got.  Still a great pumpkin scent.

Pumpkin Pie Spice - 'Freshly baked pie with lots of spice.'   Despite being spicier, it's sort of sweeter than the others too.

Rockin' Vanilla - 'Vanilla and hazelnut.'  Another yummalicious one!  This reminds me of the Hazelnut Cream tart I got years ago at Walmart, the one that started my whole tart addiction.  It's warm, sweet vanilla with just enough hazelnut to liven it up.  Creamy and delicious!

Spiked Eggnog - 'A yummy holiday drink with vanilla, rum, and nutmeg!'  Oh yes, the familiar rum and spice scent that makes me think of Christmas.  This is a nice, creamy version.

Sugared Spruce - 'Wonderful freshly cut spruce tree and sweet sugar crystals.'  A lot of other scents I'd consider Christmas-y were not available at the time I ordered so I just picked this, hoping for a Christmas tree scent.  This doesn't strike me as what I was looking for.  It's not like the sort of sharp-but-sweet moist, pine scent.  This is more of a slightly perfume-y Christmas tree scent.  It's nice, but not what I wanted to make me think of a twinkling tree in the living room, hehe.

Sweet Potato Pie - 'The delicious aroma of candied yams, melted marshmallows, sugar and spice on a buttery crunchy crust.'  Do yams and pumpkin smell similar?  This very much reminds me of the Pumpkin Spice one.  I like it, but I thought it would be sweeter or creamier or something.

Warm Vanilla Oak - 'Warm, rich, wood fragrance with vanilla, patchouli, raspberry,violet, and orange. A soon to be favorite.'  This one just sounded so interesting, I had to try it.  And it's very complex.  (This would make an excellent soap scent!  I'll need to look around for some!)  I'm not a big fan of patchouli, and I'm not getting a lot of that in this.  It does seem to have a sort of wood note but it's so nicely blended with the fruits and vanilla, and the floral gives it a 'pretty' factor.  This is sort of perfume-y or cologne-y.  Very interesting.

Yellow Polka Dot Bikini '(SF Blend)- Tart lemons mingle with creamy coconut.'  When I first smelled this it was like 'Eeuw, bug spray?!'  LOL!  But no, when I smelled it again I easily got both the lemon and the coconut.  This is a bright, fun, summery scent.

Freebie - Banana Zucchini Bread'(SF Blend)- Freshly baked zucchini bread and banana.'  I'm not one who is into the zucchini-everything craze in tarts.  I don't even know what zucchini smells like.  This is nice though, a yummy bread smell with slight hints of banana and something else that must be the zucchini.

Freebie - Berry Creme Brulee - 'Rich, Creamy, and Addicting. Vanilla and sugary berries with glazed caramelized topping.'  This is nice.  I get more of the sugary berries and vanilla than the caramelized topping.  It leans towards being too sweet for my liking, but it's still within 'nice' range.

Freebie - Love Spell - 'Romantic scent with light fruits, citrus, peaches, berries, and a undertone of musk.'  I'm pretty sure this is the Victoria's Secret dupe.  It's a sweet perfume scent, nice and bright and fun.

Freebie - Celtic Moonspice - 'Warm spices, cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg. Gives you that warm home and hearth feeling.'  This one is a tart that comes in the little plastic cup, not the scallop type like the rest of my order.  When I went back to the site I saw in her 'announcement' that every order from the sale would receive a free, random scent shot.  Doh!  I guess that's why I got it, and not because my blog is so awesome.  lol  Anyway, another awesome fall scent, spicy yet comforting.  Someone said this was a perfect dupe of something from B&BW or Yankee but now I can't remember what.  Hmmm.

And that is my crazy haul from my current favorite tart vendor, Sweet Fixations.  The single scallop tarts weigh right around 1 oz. (usually slightly over) and sell for $1.25 on the website.  The scent shots (in cups) are 2 oz. and sell for $1.50.  Obviously the cups are a better deal but for some reason I just don't prefer them.  I don't know why . . . they would stack nicer, and the cups are recyclable, and I'd have to cut them regardless if they are cup or scallop.  Maybe I need to order the cups next time?!  But whatever, the tarts are usually decorated, whether just with a bit of glitter or something fancier like the little pumpkin cake decoration confetti or sprinkles.  The labels are so cute, featuring a picture related to the scent.  Shipping was fast once again.  I was surprised!  Even with as busy as she was from the sale, I still got my large order five days after ordering.

Perhaps the cutest touch of all was this roll of Smarties candies she included in the package.  Too cute!!!  Ya gotta have your sweet fix, right???

If you haven't tried Sweet Fixations yet, I definitely think this shop is worth checking out.  There are still soooo many more scents I'm anxious to try, and even more fall/holiday scents when they are restocked.  Don't be surprised if there is another haul post sooner than you'd expect.  LOL!!

So what scents are YOU going to order first??

5 comments:

  1. OMG, these look so good! I can't wait to dig into mine. I also recently got my first order but haven't melted any yet. Please let me know how you like Sweet Potato Pie and Butter Brickle Crunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just put the Caramel one into my tea light warmer and can already smell it. Mmmmmm! My son just reached into the pile and pulled out a random one, so that's how I came to start with that one.

    And I bought some little things to get started on the scent journal project. Yay!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one nice stockpile of yumminess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol i totally agree! I have been eyeing this website for awhile and now im totally gonna check it out!
      Follow me? chiccupcake1.blogspot.com
      -Jen <3

      Delete
  4. Most of the non-fall/holiday ones are gone already. So now I have a problem because I have a lovely stash waiting for fall (and winter) but am running out of things to melt before then. Don't know if I should just get some more summery things or start dipping into the fall stuff. LOL

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete