Monday, August 20, 2012

Black Lace Creations - Tarts

Black Lace Creations is another shop I discovered while browsing Etsy last week.  The low price was what sucked me in, even though there isn't a huge selection available.  Single scallop tarts are only $ .65, and a three pack is only $1.50.  You can also get one dozen for $6.00.  And in these multi-packs, you can pick your own scents.

There were not many fall or winter scents when I was looking at this shop.  I did message her, asking if she'd be adding more.  After a very brief reply that seemed to indicate no, I decided to place a small order anyway because those prices were awesome.  And I realized it didn't matter that there weren't many seasonal scents because I've been ordering so many of those from other places that I'm now running out of summery scents that I can still enjoy in these last few weeks.

Blueberry Cobbler - 'Top notes of butter and juicy blueberries with a background of freshly ground cinnamon bark and warm vanilla.'  I will definitely need to let these sit for a while so they can air out and cure, because right now I'm just getting a weird sort of soapy waxy scent.  I detect some very faint hints of blueberry and spice, but not much else at this point.  I'll do a better scent review over on the Facebook page after I get around to melting this.
***UPDATE***  When I finally melted this several days later, it still had that weird note while cold but once warmed it bloomed beautifully into a super yummy bakery scent.  Mmmm!

Strawberry Shortcake - 'The aroma of buttery vanilla cake with notes of freshly sliced strawberries, with base notes of rich vanilla cream.'  Not sure why this one is purple and the next one is red, when it seems that colorwise it would be the other way around.  At first I thought maybe they were just switched in packaging.  I can't really tell from the scent either because there is that weird soapy waxy scent again.  I'm not getting any sort of vanilla or cake or butter or anything.  There is something that might be fruity but it's just sort of a candy sweet smell at the moment.  Again, I'll let this sit for a while and do a better review over on the Facebook page after I melt it.

Berry Bewitching Brew - 'Begins with top notes of peach, apricot, and blackberries; middle notes of mandarin, cinnamon, and rose; and nicely balanced with just a hint of woodsy musk.'  Ok, yeah, I think this one and the previous one are in switched packaging because reading this and going back to smell the purple one, I can see how that candy sweetness might be peach and rose, etc.  It also makes sense that a Halloween type would be purple.  OK!  So, I hadn't noticed when I took pics that this one has white on the bottom . . . one more reason I think this might be the Strawberry Shortcake.  Going back up to THAT description, yeah, I can pick up slight vanilla cake-y-ness, and something lightly fruity.  Again, needs to sit because there is that odd note to it.

Red Hot - 'Like the candy red hot.'  I was surprised to find an extra tart in the tiny little envelope these came in.  I was thrilled!  You know how I love those extras.  Thank you, Megan!!  This one is probably the strongest of them all, and the most recognizable beyond that soapy waxy note.  It is pretty much straight up cinnamon, maybe a little sugary because it's like the candy.  Again, more in depth review will be posted on the Facebook page later, after I've melted this.

Shipping was fast.  I ordered Thursday morning and received the package in Monday morning's mail.  There was a business card with a handwritten message on the back, and of course that free tart that I mentioned.  At first I was a little disappointed when I saw the size of these tarts.  I'd thought the prices were SO great, but these are smaller scallops than the ones Sweet Fixations or Tiffany Candles has.  These only weigh about a half ounce each.  After my initial shock, I'm ok with it.  The prices still come out comparable to other places.  There are some nit-picky irks I have about the shop itself (scent list blurs together, etc.) but I noticed it is also a fairly new shop, so maybe she's still getting settled in and used to things.  I really hope the scents bloom and become clearer when warmed.  Even if they don't though, I'm glad I gave this shop a try.  Sometimes you just have to veer away from where the crowd flocks and give someone else a chance.

Are YOU familiar with Black Lace Creations?

No comments:

Post a Comment