Thursday, September 20, 2012

Snow White & the Huntsman

From the producer of Alice in Wonderland comes a new vision that turns a legendary tale into an action-adventure epic.  The evil Queen Ravenna will rule forever if she can take the life of Snow White, so she dispatches the Huntsman to track her down.  But the wicked ruler never imagined the Huntsman would train the girl to become a brave warrior, skilled in the art of war.  Filled with intense battles and spectacular visual effects, Snow White & the Huntsman is a thrilling experience that "shouldn't be missed" - Shawn Edwards, Fox-TV.

I was excited way back when I first heard about this movie, and anxious to see it once it finally hit theaters.  We ended up not seeing it the theater though, and then the whole Kristen Stewart cheating scandal happened before the DVD came out.  It shouldn't matter, but I think that "momentary indiscretion" (ha, right) might have ruined how I feel about this movie.  Then again, there were plenty of non-Kristen things that I didn't like about the movie.

I did not like this movie.  I couldn't get into it.  I almost gave up on it but managed to stick it out to the end.

I'm realizing I don't like Charlize Theron.  The Huntsman's voice was weird, almost comical, and I don't know if that's the actor's real voice or if he was trying to do some character thing.  I did not like how they did the dwarves.  The dialogue was often lame and weird, and the big pep talk by Snow White near the end was just ... what?  

I hate the over-use of yelling and screaming in dialogue, and especially hate long drawn out words in that yelling.  Things like "GEEEEETTTTTTT OOOUUUUUTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!"  This movie uses both.  A lot.

And I've always known Kristen Stewart was a rather monotone actress but I always kinda still liked her.  I remember reading interviews before this movie came out, where she was saying Snow White was nothing like Bella and she'd tried to make them very different and she didn't think people would see Bella in this.  Ha.  Well, it was all Bella in a medieval dress, with a fake accent.  Her tone (mono) was the same, her mannerisms, movements, actions, looks were all Bella.  The scene with the poison apple, with Snow White moaning and writhing in the snow, might as well have been a replay of the Twilight scene after Bella is bitten by James.  (Yes, I *have* seen Kristen Stewart in other movies.)

The only part I really, really liked was when the Huntsman comes back to the burning village, wracked with guilt for leaving, and kicks some major ass with his sword or axe or whatever his weapon was.

Overall, I was very disappointed with this movie.  Bummer.

Have you seen it?  What did you think?

5 comments:

  1. Still haven't seen this one. Maybe we'll rent it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See it yet? See it yet? See it yet?

    Did you hear that Rob and Kristen are back together?

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did and I liked it. I liked Charlize a lot as the queen, how evil and messed up she was, and I liked the special effects they used in her scenes, like the mirror and the turning into ravens/crows and all that. Also, I hearted William.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, heard they're back together. I'm glad. :)

    ReplyDelete