Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Watched - Dark Shadows

Dark Shadows
(2012)
PG-13
113 min.

An imprisoned vampire, Barnabas Collins, is set free and returns to his ancestral home, where his dysfunctional descendants are in need of his protection.

We skipped October 2nd and 3rd in our attempt to watch a Halloween mood movie every night this month.  On days that I work, I get home too late and we go to bed to early to try and cram a movie in.  So we picked up again on Oct. 4th with Dark Shadows.  I love Johnny Depp but this one hadn't really appealed to me when it came out.  Hubby noticed it was on pay-per-view now and he, at least, wanted to see it so this was our movie of the night.

I was surprised how much I liked this one.  Since it's a Tim Burton-Johnny Depp partnership again, you tend to see a lot of the same people.  There is always a bit of weirdness with Johnny's character, and you are not quite sure if it's supposed to be comical or serious.  So yeah, Johnny's character is once again rather over the top.  Sometimes I liked it, sometimes I didn't, but in the end I'd come to like Barnabas more than I ever thought I would.

As for the story, Barnabas was cursed 200 years by a servant girl (who was also a witch) who loved him, but he loved someone else.  He was turned into a vampire and everyone he would lose everyone he loved.  He ends up being locked in a coffin and buried for the 200 years, until a construction crew accidentally digs him and releases him.  His initial killing spree ends on a funny note when he says something like "You have no idea how thirsty I've been."

He goes back to the family home, once glorious and now falling to shambles, and has some funny moments trying to adjust to the modern world.  Modern day family members still live in the home and run the failing business, and he decides he needs to help get things turned around.  Of course, all of the other characters have quirks . . . there is the stoner teenage daughter, the son who sees dead people, the new governess who is hiding something, etc.  And then Barnabas finds the town's leading citizen, the richest, the one whose business has taken over, is none other than the witch who cursed him so long ago.  When she realizes he's free, all sorts of shenanigans begin.


The movie is funny, but has it's serious moments too.  It's so hysterical when Alice Cooper appears and Barnabas proclaims him the "Ugliest. Woman. Ever."  Barnabas is not always an innocent character either.  He kills plenty of people.  He has sex with others even though he he's still hung up on the one true love of his life (that he lost 200 years ago) and finds the pretty young governess to have stolen his heart in the present day.  He's mean sometimes, yet kind and caring in his bumbling way most other times.

I've never seen the original 1960s (?) soap opera this is based on so I don't know what things in the movie might have been taken from that.  I'm kinda curious about that show now!  Some things in the movie were predictable.  I wasn't a huge fan of the stoner daughter but even so, the little thing with her at the end seemed pointless to me.  And the very end was left wide open for a Dark Shadows 2.

8 comments:

  1. I wanna see this too :) Glad to hear it was good.

    That's hilarious about Alice Cooper!

    Did you see Kick-Ass? (It's good.) The kid who plays the teenage daughter in this played Hit-Girl in that. I like her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Kick-Ass. I kinda like that girl, and kinda don't. She was also the 'girl' vampire in the American version of Let The Right One In. Have you seen either version? I can't remember.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, I forgot she was in that. I didn't see the American version but did see Let the Right One In. At the time, I wasn't very enthralled with it, but with how people complained that the English subtitles were crappy and that things were lost in translation, I bet I would have been more into it if it weren't for that. Because I like the idea of it, the story.

    I'd forgotten all about Let the Right One In and I just read a bit about it and now I want to see the movie again. All of a sudden I'm way more interested than I was when I actually watched it. Also curious about the book.

    We rented Dark Shadows over the weekend. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the book, if you ever get around to reading for pleasure. Heee.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read it? What did you think of it? Yeah, I'd like to borrow it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I've read it. I'm thinking I liked it. I seem to remember things being different, or maybe it was just that things were explained more. Like the dude that was taking care of Eli in the movie, I thought was just like a caretaker. In the book he is madly in love with Eli and does things hoping to please 'her.' Or something like that.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, the Wikipedia entry for the book says he's a pedophile. I think I had gotten that impression from the original movie, and I just read that in the American version they steer clear of that and also say that he (in the American version) met Eli as a young boy like Oskar does, not as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't keep them straight anymore. I'd like to watch both and read the book again, all fairly close to each other.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete