Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Watched - It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
(1966)
25 min.

The Peanuts gang celebrates Halloween while Linus waits for the Great Pumpkin.

Hubby and I decided it would be fun to watch a Halloween type movie every night of October, and we kicked off the month with this classic.  Oh my gosh, no matter how many times I see this, and no matter how old I get, I still love it.  It's amazing how strong the pull of this is, bringing memories and even the feelings of being a kid having a blast at Halloween.  We never had much in our family so I think that's why I've attached the thrill of making Halloween decorations in school to this cartoon.  Things were simple back then.  We didn't have information overload.  We made lopsided pumpkins and witches in school and we couldn't wait for Charlie Brown to be on TV.  I even remember one particular store bought decoration, one of the few that we had, one that you taped up in the window . . . it was a small black cat, back arched, tail poofed.  I hung onto that one for a loooooong time.  I'm surprised I still don't have it.

It's always kind of shocking to watch Charlie Brown cartoons now as an adult.  You see things differently now, and wonder how these were ever allowed.  These kids were *mean*!!  But still, back then we were kids too and just saw cartoon, holiday, fun.

And it's amazing how many people just don't get it when you say "I got a rock."

7 comments:

  1. I have the same problem with "I got a rock"!!! L.O.L.

    I remember that window cat :)

    I miss the simpler times too. It was so much easier to wait for things before the Internet. I honestly wonder how it's changing our brains.

    Gotta get this tape (!) out and watch it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's changing our brains quite a lot. Everything is so now now now, and multitasking . . . I know I have a hard time staying focused on things now, and I've even noticed conversations are getting to be more and more like texts, short and choppy and talking over one another.

    Tape? Geez, might as well just wait for it to be on TV. :P

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting about conversations--I hadn't noticed that and now I'll be thinking about it.

    Tape--I know, lol, and I couldn't even find it! I have no idea where it is, even though it seems like I've seen it sitting somewhere a million times. Watch, we don't even have it anymore. So yeah, we're gonna watch it on TV tomorrow night, lol. When I left this last comment I was assuming for some reason that it had already been on TV this year, though that would have been early.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't they used to be on early? Or maybe I'm just thinking of the whole holidays in general being shoved at us two months early.

    It used to be so dang exciting when it was time for those classics to be on TV. Back when we had three channels and reading the TV Guide was interesting . . .

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh, yeah, exactly ;)

    Yeah, I think I'm so used to that stuff happening far in advance that I assumed so. I certainly wouldn't have expected it to be on Halloween night, regardless.

    It's funny--I was watching very intently last night, now that I don't know where our copy of it is.

    And I don't know if I ever noticed before that Linus does this hilarious thing with his hands when he's telling Sally about the Great Pumpkin rising up (it's when they're in the pumpkin patch). It's just goofy and funny, in the way that the way the kids dance in the Christmas one is goofy and funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, now I'll look for it and that will be ALL I ever see.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol. Nah, you'll probably be like, "So what?" because I probably made it out to be bigger than it is. But Brad and I were chuckling.

    ReplyDelete