Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Watched - Sleepy Hollow

Sleepy Hollow
1999
R
105 min.

Ichabod Crane is sent to Sleepy Hollow to investigate the decapitations of 3 people with the culprit being the legendary apparition, the Headless Horseman. 

Oct. 5 of our attempt to watch a Halloween-y movie every night, and we chose to watch Johnny Depp again, this time in Sleepy Hollow.  It's funny . . . Johnny Depp is one of those people who doesn't seem to age, but after watching 2012's Dark Shadows and then 1999's Sleepy Hollow, we could see just how much he has indeed changed.  (And yes, I realize he's wearing tons of makeup in Dark Shadows.)

Ya know, this is supposedly an old children's tale or something and yet I've never been all that familiar with it.  And watching it, I'm wondering what the heck sort of stories were told to kids in days of old?!  I've heard many times that the sugary sweet stories we all grew up on were originally quite brutal and gruesome.  It's just kinda funny to think about.  With this story in particular, I wonder how much the movie pulled from it, or if huge liberties were taken, because it seems quite adult too me.

Ambitious young detective Ichabod Crane is sent to investigate recent murders in a far away little town called Sleepy Hollow.  His big city colleagues seem to be laughing at this assignment, like it's a 'Good riddance!' move.  Ichabod goes though, and finds the town is not very welcoming or helpful either.  Because this is a Tim Burton movie, you see a lot of familiar faces, and you're never quite sure if things are supposed to be funny or not.  Ichabod has that sort of bumbling, over the top quality that is so familiar from Johnny Depp.

With very little help from the townsfolk, Ichabod digs deeper into the murders and the secrets these people hold.  He also finds himself smitten with Katrina, the daughter of the town's most prominent citizen.  There is a serious scene between Ichabod and Katrina, when he's been fighting off a fever and they have a deep discussion . . . and Johnny Depp is sooooo beautiful.  Oh my, oh my.

(It's from this scene, but I couldn't find a better picture.  Boo.)

While I did like this movie, there were times I found it confusing trying to keep everything straight.  Like who was keeping what secret and why was it connected to the next.  Even afterwards (and I've seen this movie twice) I can't remember how some events fell into place.  But oh well, it's a fun movie to watch.

4 comments:

  1. We gotta get this movie. We went to see it in the theater and liked it. I actually wrote a paper on it for the film class I was taking at the time, but I don't remember anything about the paper at all. HA! (And I just remembered I presented it at a conference we had at NIU. Holy crap. I forgot I was even involved in that. No big deal, just reading a paper to some people in a classroom, but it's weird to think about now.)

    The story people know is by Washington Irving (who also wrote "Rip Van Winkle") in the nineteenth century. (We studied it in one of my American Lit classes at UWO.) It came from a German folktale. The movie is pretty much completely different. Ichabod's a teacher in the story, he has none of that backstory, and the really weird gruesome stuff (pretty much the whole plot) from the movie isn't there. Katrina and Brom are in the story, though. I don't think anything from the movie came from the folktale, as far as I vaguely remember from class (which was pre-this-movie) but I haven't researched that, so I'm not sure.

    I remember really digging Johnny in this. :D

    And thinking it was weird seeing him and Christina Ricci paired up because they first met when she was about ten and played Winona Ryder's little sister in "Mermaids" (Johnny was with Winona at the time).

    Have you seen "Mermaids," btw? Love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Mermaids. I can't stand Winona Ryder either. Saw a pic of her yesterday and she looks like an anorexic crackwhore these days. Ha!

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right--I always forget that you hate Winona. Did you always?? Even back in the "Heathers" days?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think in the early days I just sort of tolerated her or didn't care. Not sure when I started strongly disliking her. Something about her voice. Bleah.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete