Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Candles From The Keeping Room - Tarts Haul

I finally went ahead and placed my own Candles From The Keeping Room order.  I'd been wanting to do it for some time now.  First I was putting it off because I already have so many tarts.  Then I couldn't do it because the shop was closed during/after Hurricane Sandy's visit.  By the time it reopened I had convinced myself I was content with the several CFTKR tarts I'd gotten from some online friends.  But then last week she mentioned on Facebook that she would be closing the shop again for the week of Thanksgiving, and I decided 'Screw it!  I'm doing it!' and placed a quick order.

The website can be a bit confusing and frustrating.  You can buy 4 oz. or 8 oz bags, and there are some other options depending on what scent you're trying to order.  You also have to sort of figure out what category the scent you want is in and click that section to be able to order it.  There are no single tarts as far as I could tell.  The 4 oz. bags I ordered cost $3.25.  Since the shop is closed at the moment, I'm not sure how much the 8 oz. bags or other styles cost.

Shipping was crazy fast.  I placed my order on Thursday morning (Nov. 15), had a shipping notice within the hour, and my package arrived on Monday (Nov. 19).  Each bag was wrapped in paper and everything was nicely packed in a priority box.  Shipping for my order was $8.05.

So what did I get???  I'll just do a quick list with descriptions from the website.  More detailed thoughts and scent descriptions will come in my Melted series as I melt each one.
  • Cinnamon Stick - [no scent description]  I'm assuming it's just plain cinnamon.
  • Serendipity - 'This is a super sweet concoction....sweet thick creamy vanilla with powdered sugar..sweet cherry, sweet orange and citrus...and a hint of fresh coconut.'  I've been wanting to try this for a while because I keep hearing people talk about it.  I *love* it!  Sweet cherry scent.
  • Christmas Time - 'The scent of fresh balsam and warm vanilla cookies sprinkled with sugar sparkles.'  Much more cookie, very little balsam.
  • Christmas Past - 'Blue spruce and fir scents with top-notes of northern pine, a spicy cinnamon middle note and a warm woody base note. Super strong.'  Hubby loves this one.  He says it's very 'fir-y.'  I like it but to me it smells like Vicks.  LOL!  And it is very strong.  I might melt one in our bedroom at night and see if clears my head enough to sleep peacefully.
  • Coconut Milk and Lavender - 'A sweet blend of coconut milk and lavender..changes the lavender to almost a tropical flower.'  I'm not a huge lavender fan but I have found lately that I do like it in blends.  This one sounded interesting.  It's a very pretty scent, soft and sweet, would be an excellent bath/body product scent.
Carol, owner/tartmaker, is well known for being very generous with the freebies she includes with orders.  You can ask for certain scents, and I've heard she seems to include scents that seem to go along with things you've ordered.  I didn't ask for anything specific.  I was excited to see she'd included SIX free single tarts!
  • Christmas Pudding - 'A delightful blend from the keeping room, a sweet christmas plum pudding, with a sweet brown sugar burnt cream topping, covered in a rum soaked cloth.'  Cake type scent.
  • Cinnamon Corn Pudding - 'A delicious blend of our gooey bakery cinnamon and a sweet corn pudding.'  Only get a buttery corn type scent at the moment.
  • Orange Cream Cupcake - 'Top notes of Orange Peel, Tangy Lemon, and Citron Zests; combined with rich notes of Creamsicle Frosting, Brown Sugar, Sweet Buttercream, Drizzled Rum, Bittersweet Chocolate, and Vanilla Extract.'  Strong, first blast of bright and zippy citrus with cake undertones.  YUM!
  • Plum Pudding - 'Not just for the holiday, sweet fruits, sugars, a little spice and a splash of brandy. One of our signature scents.'  Interesting, like dark, sweet fruits.
  • Sugar Cookie and Flapjack - 'A CFTKR blend, our sweet flapjack, mixed with our yummy frosted sugar cookie, a touch of maple syrup and a ton of love makes this a yummy new scent.'  Yum yum yum!  Very cookie/pancake, only a trace of maple sweetness.
  • Ultimate Bakery Shop - 'The aroma of stepping into a bakery, you will have the aromas of sweet sugar cookies..sweet bakery breads..donuts..cakes and the faint aroma of a vanilla icing.'  Nice but just a plain cookie/bread scent.
I'm really happy to have finally ordered for myself, but I'm a bit surprised by how light the scents seem.  Well, at least on cold throw.  I haven't melted any from this order yet.  I did melt one that I got from someone else and was disappointed to find it was such a minimal scent and throw.  Once again, you can't trust the reviews and opinions of others because you're own tastes could be different.  It seems everyone raves about how strong and long lasting these tarts are, but so far I'm just not seeing it.  I guess we'll have to wait until I melt them and see how they are.

I know I don't have to ask if YOU are familiar with Candles From The Keeping Room, because I know I'm one of the last people on earth to order.  So instead I'll ask, how has YOUR experience been with CFTKR tarts?

15 comments:

  1. Yay! I love the Coconut Lavender one. I find CFTKR's tarts do best in 24-watt hot plate warmer. I've melted them in other types of electric warmers and they don't do well at all! I think because the wax is so freakin' hard. Also, I've learned not to judge CFTKR tarts on cold sniff because of the paraffin - I can't smell anything sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I'd been kinda hoping Santa would bring me a fancy looking bulb style warmer, but maybe it's the hot plate style I need to drop hints for now. I just don't know where I'd put an electric one that is close to an outlet in my current arrangement. I have the demon kitty Minion to consider when placing such things. *sigh*

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light bulb warmers are always sooo much cuter. But I get better throw out of my hot plate one. The only thing is that some tarts, especially the softer ones, fizzle out really fast.

      Demon kitty, Minion...hehehehe!

      Delete
    2. Seriously, this kitty can spot something new anywhere in the house and will find a way to get to it. Doesn't matter how big or how small. We didn't even put a Christmas tree up last year because it was a losing battle. We'd *hoped* he would be settled down enough by this Christmas to be able to have one...but it doesn't look like it.

      I've always wanted to get a bulb style warmer, a hot plate style warmer, and my tea light warmer ... get three of the same tarts ... and do some testing. I've not heard or seen anyone do any such tests. Hmmm.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I have never tried CFTKR because they don't ship to Canada but these look so good ! Hope you enjoy them and looking forward to reading your reviews even though I don't have access to them !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sucks that you can't get a lot of these tarts we all natter about. Do you have someone in the US that could be a sort of go-between shipper? I've heard of people doing that.

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately I don't :( I just don't get why some tarts companies won't ship to Canada, shipping is super cheap and I've ordered online from the US many times and never had any problems..!! And when they do ship to Canada, it's crazy expensive like 13-30$ (which is NOT what it really cost )

      Delete
    3. I wonder if part of it is the added hassle of the customs form. When I had my soap shop on Etsy, it was so handy to be able to just print all shipping and have the mailman pick up the boxes. When there was anything going out of the US though, I couldn't do that customs form online, but had to actually drive into town and have it done at the post office.

      Is there an email I can contact you at? Or could you contact me with the email thingie in the sidebar?

      ~Deb

      Delete
    4. That might be it ! The owner of The Bathing Garden said she wouldn't ship to Canada via First Class because she didn't have time to go all the way to the post office so I think you're right.Still, it makes me sad to see all those yummy tarts I won't ever be able to try haha !! my email address is : lil_blue10@hotmail.ca :)

      Delete
  4. Great picks, Deb. I am looking forward to your follow up review on these especially coconut milk and lavender....it's absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked that Coconut Milk & Lavender scent but didn't expect it to be so strong. We melted it in our bedroom one night, a whole tart, and it was way too much for me. Days and days later, and I can still smell faint hints of it in our room. That part is nice ... lol

      ~Deb

      Delete
  5. Sounds naughty ...............

    ReplyDelete