Sunday, November 18, 2012

Finale - Becca Fitzpatrick

Finale
by Becca Fitzpatrick
(2012)

Nora is more certain than ever that she is in love with Patch. Fallen angel or no, he is the one for her. Her heritage and destiny may mean they are fated to be enemies, but there is no turning her back on him. Now Nora and Patch must gather their strength to face one last, perilous trial. Old enemies return, new enemies are made, and a friend's ultimate betrayal threatens the peace Patch and Nora so desperately want. The battle lines are drawn—but which sides are they on? And in the end, are there some obstacles even love can't conquer?

*** MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS ***

Ok, I'll just say it.  I hated this book.  This is the fourth and final book in the Hush, Hush fallen angel series.  While I liked things about the first and second book, I was never a huge fan and then the third book just sort of fizzled out for me.  Back at the time I'd read that third book, I hadn't thought I'd even bother with this fourth book when it came out.  Enough time had passed though, and I'd been disappointed by another popular angel series, so when this one came I out I went ahead and got it because I was thinking I'd liked the first three more than I apparently had.

Once again, my big complaint about this book is that there is too much going on.  There are so many story lines and twists . . . it's freakin' hard to keep straight just what's supposed to be going on.  I went back and read my reviews of the first three books and found this is my complaint with each.  At least the author is consistent.  *snort*

So in this one Nora is now the leader of the Nephilim.  Really?  As in ALL Nephilim?  I'm assuming they are scattered all over the world, yet it seems that in this story they all live in this one town and that there about six of them.  So all of the big dramatic talk about leading this army to war seems rather weak and ridiculous.  And then that whole plot point sort of fades into the background anyway, buried under all the other things going on.  I don't even know where to begin!  Nora became leader upon the death of her father.  An oath sworn to him before he died (in book three) now puts her life and her mother's life in danger if she fails to lead this army.  The Nephilim don't like her or trust her, and she's in danger of being overthrown unless she sucks up and proves to them she's 'one of them' and sincere about the cause.  She has no intention of leading the Nephilim against the fallen angels because her beloved Patch is a fallen angel.  (Or was.  He became a guardian angel for a while.  What exactly is he now?  I lost track.)  Oh yeah, and she can't be with Patch because dating the enemy would be frowned upon.

What to do?  What to do??

Oh, we'll stage a public breakup and limit our contact and only meet in the most secret of ways.  Meanwhile Nora will seem to be dating Dante, a well respected Nephil guy, her second in command actually, and that will score such big brownie points . . . ooooooh, it'll be great!  *gag*  Except nothing ever comes of this story line.  Nora and Patch continue to meet and talk and hang out.  Nora and Dante are never seen hanging out or making any effort to show off this fake relationship.  Dante says Nora needs to start training so she's ready for this war, and he will be the one to train her.  They do all this ridiculous training in the wee hours of the morning, out in the woods, away from where anyone will see them together anyway.

Scott is still around, now as the highly trusted and supportive best friend.

Dabria is still around, causing Nora's jealousy to boil over and making her determined to find out just what's going on between Patch and this ex of his.

Marcie has decided she needs to move in with Nora and her mother and host parties and things.

Vee isn't around much in this one but later, when the author seems to remember her, she adds an out of nowhere twist that doesn't have much point.

There is a new guy named Blakely who is a devilcraft genius.  He's supposed to be sooooo top secret and hard to get to, a secret weapon in this coming war, yet bubble head Marcie leads them right to him.

There is also a new guy named Pepper who is also supposedly sooooo dangerous and mysterious, but then we find out he's just a whiny and spineless weasel who was only trying to get a favor from Patch.  Really?  So why all the dramatic buildup such as stalking and kidnapping and big threats?

Nora becomes addicted to a devilcraft super drink.  The brief part of the story that focused on this was probably the best part of it all.  But this too was quickly brushed aside and forgotten in the mess of everything else going on.

Ooops, that well respected Dante guy is not so great after all.  He has ulterior motives.  He wants the army for his own, and not to fight the fallen angels.  But oh no!  Nora can't let this happen because of that oath which will cause her to DIE if she doesn't lead the army!  Aha, we'll simply go old school and challenge Dante to a duel.  Ok!  But wait, Patch only has one day to train Nora in the art of sword fighting so she can win this duel.  And while we're training and making out, we're waiting on our own new-found secret weapon to return from that secret place with that secret thing that is sure to put an end to all of this.

But darn!  Someone has found out about our secret plans!  Who could it be?  There are only about 50 suspects and each has their own complicated reasons and we're running out of time!

And on and on and on . . .

I plowed through to the end because I just couldn't figure out how this would all be neatly wrapped up, but it was a chore getting there and I seriously didn't give a crap about any of it anymore.  I never felt a connection between Patch and Nora.  The feelings I had for Patch early in this series fizzled out long ago.  I don't think I've ever really liked Nora.  And just like the three books before this, if about 90% of the overstuffed plot were eliminated and we had focused on just a few key points, this could have maybe been a great series.

Maybe.

9 comments:

  1. It's probably not nearly as crappy as my rant has made it seem. I always feel bad that I don't like these books that the masses seem to love. When I see/hear reviews from people who did like it (or others), I'm always wondering how things can be seen soooo differently.

    Casey told me that of course I won't like a book if I'm going to pick on everything and rip it to shreds. Well, if I was liking it those types of gripe worthy things wouldn't be jumping out at me.

    I think my biggest complaint with this whole series was that there was too much going on. It really needed to slow down and focus.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was.. very interesting. In a way i think this might be all opinion. I can see how there are many plot twist, but at the same time if there is only one or two it would make the series bleak and boring. My mind rapped around it pretty well i thought, but like i said this is all opinion. I respect yours though (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's very cool. I know way more people who absolutely love this series than those who (like me) struggled with it. It sort of fascinates me, wondering how views can be SO different. It's really funny too, because I'm reading the City of Bones (etc.) series now and am really quite liking it even though the first time I tried to read it I hated it and gave up. Makes me wonder if I revisit the Hush, Hush series later, if I'll have a whole new opinion of it.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  3. I think you just didn't understand the whole point. I love this series and I have nothing against your point of view but what you just did is gave the whole story away. It's clearly not a spoiler, It's like you summarize this whole book in one crappy blog. You just need to say you hate it. DON'T TELL THE WHOLE STORY.

    You don't like messy story lines I figured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking the time to visit my crappy blog and telling me how to do things.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mhm....It seems it took a twist here and there and some parts just didnt fit into what the whole series was about you know?,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I think I mentioned somewhere along the line, but I think there could have been a good story if a lot of the extra could have skimmed away.

      Just like with the Fallen series.

      ~Deb

      Delete
  6. Love your review of Finale. I am a huge Hush Hush saga fan too.

    ReplyDelete